U.S.-flagged ship hijacked off Somalia - but the crew re-takes it!!!

Plus, I understand both the US and many European countries do not have laws on the books that gives jurisdiction to pirates captured either on the high seas or in some other county's territorial waters.

In other words, if we capture a pirate the US has no jurisdiction to try and punish the criminal if he is captured. I guess the best they can do is to deport back to Sudan:eek:

We'd better get our laws in order if we intend to deal with this problem efficiently.

Werbung:
I don't mean to gloat with pride, but here are a few clips from a priceless interview... the US military is the best in the world when presented with a mission that is winnable:

SAWYER: The sea state, of course, is a huge issue and consideration, but any SEALs are very good sharpshooters and shooters with any weapons system. Snipers don't typically engage that close in the military. Law enforcement snipers typically engage at distances like we saw in this situation, but typically on flat ground or solid ground. Two moving ships -- moving ship, moving boat, it's a difficult scenario. At night, a little more difficult. These snipers are the best in the world at what they do, and they made it happen. We've got to commend them for that.

VAN SUSTEREN: So while we -- while we all sort of sit in amazement and see the extraordinary work that they've done, I suspect that they walked away with, like, Oh, this is how we do it, and this is just sort of normal for us.

SAWYER: Well, I can assure you -- I know they -- the crew of guys that carried out this mission, they would have walked away thinking, Hey, is that it? You know, while we're here, do you want anything else?:cool: They're quite capable of more, but I'm sure they're pleased with the result, which is all that matters.

Plus, I understand both the US and many European countries do not have laws on the books that gives jurisdiction to pirates captured either on the high seas or in some other county's territorial waters.

In other words, if we capture a pirate the US has no jurisdiction to try and punish the criminal if he is captured. I guess the best they can do is to deport back to Sudan:eek:

We'd better get our laws in order if we intend to deal with this problem efficiently.

I think we would be able to take jurisdiction if we wanted to. Piracy is an international crime that is supposed to be combated by everyone.. supposed to be. However, I think the United States could claim jurisdiction based on nationality, or even territoriality since the hijacking involved US nationals and took place on a US ship - which legally can be argued in US soil.

toon041509.gif

I agree :)

Werbung:
Somali pirates tried to hit another freighter today bound for Kenya but were unable to get aboard.

Back