U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

Cruella

Don't you just love how Obama and Company are dismanteling the United States and no one seems to give a damn?

U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

In a statement, Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.) called the move “consistent with other efforts the U.S. and our allies are making to promote a free and open Internet, and to preserve and advance the current multi-stakeholder model of global Internet governance.”
But former House speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) tweeted: “What is the global internet community that Obama wants to turn the internet over to? This risks foreign dictatorships defining the internet.”

Werbung:
Why should the Internet be any different than the telephone? Each country has control over it's phone service and I'm not sure that the internet should be any different. We have a line to the rest of the world and made it easier to contact someone in the UK or Japan or Denmark. We are coming out with new products at a rate which is unbelievable and have no control over. I feel we should stop making advances until we can develop a means of protecting information. How much and what type of information is being placed on FaceBook, UTube, Twitter etc. I have no idea if Cruelia is a 14 year old girl, a 99 year old women, a teen age boy, a Tiliban. We have dogtowner quoting Camus, a person usually described as an Existentialism though much of his philosophy did deal with the absurdity of life he differed from main stream thought.
I'm not worried about China hacking me, or for that matter Russia. I may be having a conversation with someone about the CIA's dealing in drugs, or the workings of a simple A Bomb. I might be involved writing a paper on the real history of our Revolution. I am concerned about this whole NSA think starting as the result of two computer experts sitting around complaining about an assignment to search for something on the internet and one coming up with a bright idea: "Lets gather all the information in the world and then sort through it " "Why would we want to do that?" "Because we can,"
A few smugglers incited a Revolution in the Colonies because they were going to be put out of business because the British were about to cut the price of tea. Nothing has changed they are willing to do the same again.

steveox. what has this got to do with the topic? Do you know why you hate President Obama? I mean other than you were told to. I find it sad that you can hate a person just because he does not agree with what you have been told is best for "We the People". If I disagree with someone I don't have to hate them I can just disagree with them. The attitude of the Tea Party is like the OT transition from Judges to King:
"We want a King!" (such as a strong president)
"I gave you Judges," God
"We want a King!"
He gave them what they wanted. Though some of the Kings were smart and some were good and some were both, they all had a dark side, including David. Considering all available information they were no better or worse than the Presidents we have had. Kings are not what God wanted for man, Kings are what man wanted for man. Read the Constitution and the job description for President is that of an Administrator, not a leader. About the only thing he should be doing is making sure that laws made in Congress are put into place and enforced. Other than that he has to present a State of the Union message. All presidents fail that task as he is instructed to tell it like it is, not what they or a party wants.

steveox. what has this got to do with the topic? Do you know why you hate President Obama? I mean other than you were told to. I find it sad that you can hate a person just because he does not agree with what you have been told is best for "We the People". If I disagree with someone I don't have to hate them I can just disagree with them. The attitude of the Tea Party is like the OT transition from Judges to King:
"We want a King!" (such as a strong president)

I gave you Judges," God
"We want a King!"
He gave them what they wanted. Though some of the Kings were smart and some were good and some were both, they all had a dark side, including David. Considering all available information they were no better or worse than the Presidents we have had. Kings are not what God wanted for man, Kings are what man wanted for man. Read the Constitution and the job description for President is that of an Administrator, not a leader. About the only thing he should be doing is making sure that laws made in Congress are put into place and enforced. Other than that he has to present a State of the Union message. All presidents fail that task as he is instructed to tell it like it is, not what they or a party wants.

Why did our Founding fathers wrote and approved the constitution? So we don t have a king. That's one of the reasons why people left England and came to America. So they no longer listen to King George. We fought the British off our land to be free. That's why its important Obama should be impeached. He has violated his oath. To Defend and protect the constitution SO HELP ME GOD! And OBAMA IS JUST LIKE HITLER!

Why should the Internet be any different than the telephone? Each country has control over it's phone service and I'm not sure that the internet should be any different. We have a line to the rest of the world and made it easier to contact someone in the UK or Japan or Denmark. We are coming out with new products at a rate which is unbelievable and have no control over. I feel we should stop making advances until we can develop a means of protecting information. How much and what type of information is being placed on FaceBook, UTube, Twitter etc. I have no idea if Cruelia is a 14 year old girl, a 99 year old women, a teen age boy, a Tiliban. We have dogtowner quoting Camus, a person usually described as an Existentialism though much of his philosophy did deal with the absurdity of life he differed from main stream thought.
I'm not worried about China hacking me, or for that matter Russia. I may be having a conversation with someone about the CIA's dealing in drugs, or the workings of a simple A Bomb. I might be involved writing a paper on the real history of our Revolution. I am concerned about this whole NSA think starting as the result of two computer experts sitting around complaining about an assignment to search for something on the internet and one coming up with a bright idea: "Lets gather all the information in the world and then sort through it " "Why would we want to do that?" "Because we can,"
A few smugglers incited a Revolution in the Colonies because they were going to be put out of business because the British were about to cut the price of tea. Nothing has changed they are willing to do the same again.
"Why should the Internet be any different than the telephone?"

Because the Internet IS different than the telephone. Telephones are based on loop technology, in which multiple backbone systems (with different protocols and different capabilities) are integrated at the interfaces, by mutual agreement of the providers. The Internet, on the other hand, is a single backbone technology that is implemented across multiple nodes. The telephone systems are controlled by the owners - they can do whatever they wish to do with it. The Internet, on the other hand, is owned by no one, and it is only through the cooperation and good will of the Internet users that it works. It isn't what's best for your bottom line - it's what's best for the overall system performance and integrity.

Breaking the Internet into multiple pieces, as you propose, can do nothing be degrade the overall quality of the Internet, not to much mention facilitate censorship and access control. The individualism that comprises the Internet will be gone - it's only a matter of time until some company, or some country, imposes their technological will on all the Internet users - much as Microsoft was able to do with MS-DOS. "If you want to use our Internet resources, you have to pay for access to our national network."

What you, or I, do on the internet comprises about 10% of the network's use. Financial institutions, governments, corporations, individuals, and other elements use the Internet as a pipeline, i.e., VPN technology, to conduct secure - and inexpensive - communications. You probably aren't even aware that classified information is available at your Internet port - if you knew how to access it. Imagine, if you will, the Chinese refusing other governments the use of their routers - thus disrupting critical communications processes. Imagine, if you will, Israel denying any Internet connectivity from the US to Europe. THAT is the danger of relinquishing management of the Internet.

Now ... as for your proposal to stop all development until we figure out how to protect the data. THAT is how we protect the data - Information security, and information exploitation, is a game of cat-and-mouse. I build a system, protecting against all known vulnerabilities, deploy it, and immediately, hackers try to figure out how to break down the security walls. Then, when they are successful, I have to go back and build patches and fixes, or new systems, to fill the holes. The only way to truly protect your system is to shoot all the hackers - BEFORE they hack.

You're not concerned about the Chinese - you should be. You know, your corporate plan to release a new product that ensure your employment for the next 10 years? The odds are pretty good the Chinese already have the design package ... the automated transfer of your check to the bank every payday? They can turn it off any time they like ... Maybe you missed the incident in 2011 when it was discovered that the Chinese were using over 1,000 US home computers to do calculations for their space program. They had stolen some of your computing power while you were sleeping ---

The NSA program, on the other hand, is currently benign, but is rife with potential for abuse. It needs to be stopped - but, then, you don't get to bitch when terrorists set off a bomb in the middle of Chicago. Life is a series of trade-offs.

http://******/usa/nsa-decode-phone-conversations-231/

So you don't know the real America sir do you?

Read it again - there is a significant difference between "can" and "do" .... the capability has existed since, ohhh, WWII ...

and you know this for a fact or because BO said so ? Depending on how you define monitor, they certainly do.

Actually, it was defined in the previous post ... "The NSA monitor telephone conversations." ... which is categorically false. But ... all that aside, I know it for a fact. They do NOT listen to domestic phone calls.

I have been having computer problems but got mu SS check so I may be able to get it fixed. What I have done myself may allow me to post. Let's see.
Dropped down to there basic purpose the internet and telephone are a means of communication. Media brings them even closer together. Several firms have been allocating url's with Network Solutions being the largest when I posted my first website years ago. How many exist now? I'm not sure how things work for the hosting services that are also giving or selling at a very low price as well as really cheap hosting.
What security do they provide? None
What proof of ownership do they provide? None
What are the companies doing other than giving a url to anyone that wants one? Keeping a list?
If anything can be placed on the from line of an Email would it be much more difficult to hide where it originates?
Any terrorist group can bet a .com or .us and any other extension (I do not recall the proper name for them).
With all of the security issues we have with the internet I can't see it getting much worse with this action.
When it comes to the NSA there is only one other person posting here that knows what was being done. If we had the capability to collect the data during the Nixon, Redean or Bush administrations it would have been done. Nixon was such a head case that the Secret Service was worried about him going on a bender grabbing thr football and starting WW3.

Werbung:
I have been having computer problems but got mu SS check so I may be able to get it fixed. What I have done myself may allow me to post. Let's see.
Dropped down to there basic purpose the internet and telephone are a means of communication. Media brings them even closer together. Several firms have been allocating url's with Network Solutions being the largest when I posted my first website years ago. How many exist now? I'm not sure how things work for the hosting services that are also giving or selling at a very low price as well as really cheap hosting.
What security do they provide? None
What proof of ownership do they provide? None
What are the companies doing other than giving a url to anyone that wants one? Keeping a list?
If anything can be placed on the from line of an Email would it be much more difficult to hide where it originates?
Any terrorist group can bet a .com or .us and any other extension (I do not recall the proper name for them).
With all of the security issues we have with the internet I can't see it getting much worse with this action.
When it comes to the NSA there is only one other person posting here that knows what was being done. If we had the capability to collect the data during the Nixon, Redean or Bush administrations it would have been done. Nixon was such a head case that the Secret Service was worried about him going on a bender grabbing thr football and starting WW3.

Sorry - you have a lack of understanding about how the Internet is managed.

Network Solutions, GoDaddy, and all the others simply act as your agent with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). ICANN controls URL and IP assignments and requests. Attempts to censor website names and content have been rebuffed by ICANN, simply because it is an American institution and we wouldn't allow it.

When ICANN activities are controlled by somebody else, then they get to set the rules. If they happen to be a society that supports censorship, or doesn't believe in whatever, they will have the capability to prevent it from being on the Internet. Further, they will be able to stop access to those sites they find objectionable (simply by blocking, or preventing access to the IP address). What do you think the potential of Syria, for example, blocking any site that contains the word Jewish? What's the possibility that China might block those sites who protest Chinese human rights violations? Or, what are the chances that the Vatican might block those sites that advocate abortions or birth control? It's not only possible ... it's probable.

The action of the current regime in Washington will, undoubtedly, result in a significant increase in Internet costs, and subjective censorship to meet the political goals of the controlling organization. You can thank Obama for that ...

Now, as for NSA ... sorry to disappoint. We had the capability to intercept phone calls (in fact, we did that, just not domestic calls), in the early 1970's. The NSA today is NOT monitoring your phone calls ... they are collecting metadata about phone usage (in other words, they MIGHT be monitoring WHO you call, but they are NOT listening to what you say). They CAN listen to your phone call, but only with a warrant issued by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, and even then, there must be a demonstrable connection with foreign terrorism. In other words, you can call me and we can plan to blow up the White House and the NSA probably wouldn't know about it. But, if you call Abdul in Iran, they probably WILL know about it.

Most domestic terrorism arrests in the past 15 years have been a result of standard police activities that are referred to the FBI.

Back