UK still a world power?

pwarbi

Do people around the world, still consider the UK to be a major player when it comes to world politics?

In recent years, Great Britain seems to be having less and less say when it comes to policies that are being imposed in Europe, turning into yes men or just being used to make up the voting numbers in the European union.

Are you interested in what the UK government still has to say, or are they now one of the less powerful nations?

Werbung:
The only super powers of the future are the US and China.

And maybe the European Union, if they get their act together. If. Not highly likely, but desirable.

Did I mention small countries like the UK, France or Germany? Forget it. A super power needs resources and a minimum area.

The European union...I have my doubts if they'll ever get there act together if I'm honest. For one it's made up of countries like France, the UK and Germany, and they still think they're world powers on their own.

I do not think the UK is a super power. However it is still has influence in the Commonwealth judging by the comments about the Royal Birth. Whether Eu will replace it depends of altitudes of its members. Many member states have groups who want to leave.
In our part of the World China is the super power in the pacific

The UK is not a superpower - nor are they a world power. At most they are a regional power.

Currently the United States remains the only real superpower - China will be one in a few years, and Russia is collapsing on itself in my view.

The UK has not been a world power for several hundred years now and the only reason they were then was because of their navy as well as a good deal of civil unrest in other parts of the world. A good navy and infighting can take a determined foe a long way all by themselves. :sneaky:

While the term superpower might not be the right one when it comes to the UK, they certainly have had a big say in some major decisions.

With the US and UK seemingly being closer than ever, I do think the only reason the UK as had any influence is solely because of that tie.

The UK may have won the last war but the USA and Russia got more gains out of it. Thy become strong and rich powers. The UK lost a lot of its empire.

What war do you refer to that the UK won? I hope your not talking about WWII. The UK was mostly craters at the point the yanks decided to drop a couple of nukes and show everybody up. And if they had waited a couple more months...this would be a WHOLE different world we live in.

What war do you refer to that the UK won? I hope your not talking about WWII. The UK was mostly craters at the point the yanks decided to drop a couple of nukes and show everybody up. And if they had waited a couple more months...this would be a WHOLE different world we live in.

I have to admit that I don't recall reading in any history book about the US coming along and dropping nukes in WW2?

Regional power at best, its best power is in its relationship to the US...not anything of its own. Also I am Irish so I never care that much about them..power or now.

I'm assuming then that your from Eire, rather than Northern Ireland? And I'm thinking that your speaking mainly about England rather than the UK in general?

What makes you dislike the English so much, is it a hatred that's been past down from a previous generation or do you yourself have your own reasons?

Pwarbi. The USA did drop nukes in WW2 . But it was on Japan after the European war had finish and Japan had been defeated but not occupied.
Many Irish people hate England for what it did in its occupation of Ireland. Things like the Potato famine cost many Irish lives.

I'm assuming then that your from Eire, rather than Northern Ireland? And I'm thinking that your speaking mainly about England rather than the UK in general?

What makes you dislike the English so much, is it a hatred that's been past down from a previous generation or do you yourself have your own reasons?

Actuality US, my ancestry is Irish. ( Cork and Galway) and Catholic ( though I am not) . May hate of the England is rooted in hundreds of years of its oppression of the Irish People...especially the Catholics. Its a Shame the IRA never was able to drive them from the North leaving a United one Ireland.

Werbung:
So I was right in saying that the US didn't drop nukes during WW2 and that's the reason the war ended then?

That's seemed to be what was being said anyway or I might have just read it wrong maybe.

Back