Union myths

Little-Acorn

Sowell is right on, again.

Unions once did a valuable service for their workers. Before unions existed, sometimes employers would get together and "gang up" on workers, lowering wages across the board so workers could find NO jobs in any companies that paid what they were worth. In response, the workers formed unions (and shed a lot of blood to do it). They, in turn, "ganged up" back on the employers, making sure the employers could find no workers anywhere, unless they agreed to pay them more. It was the only response the workers had available to them at the time, and it was a valid and legitimate one. They fought fire with fire, as it were.

Then, after workers and employers did a lot of fighting and bleeding, government stepped in. Govt made a lot of laws dictating the ways unions could do their thing, and they ways employers could treat union workers and non-union workers. Antitrust laws, min-wage laws, maximum work weeks, benefits laws, laws controlling unions, all became law.

And in a stroke, government made unions obsolete. Unions were no longer necessary for workers to get a guaranteed wage at at least a minimum level (and experienced workers get far more), work in a place with decent ventilation, emergency exits, lighting, 40-hour work weeks, benefits, etc. etc. All that was now mandated by law.

But, oddly, unions hung around. And they kept using the same tactics to extract even more and more from employers. What used to be an act of survival necessity, now became an act of simple greed as unions demanded more and more, without limit.

Unions were vital in their day, transforming unacceptable employment conditions into acceptable ones. But with the intervention of government, that day has long passed. And unions now occupy the same role as a rough, unscrupulous gunman brought in as Sheriff to pacify a wild western town, who stayed around and kept acting out his own wild, coercive ways long after the criminals were driven out and the town became peaceful.

Sowell describes here, some of the results of that ongoing trend.

-------------------------------

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2011/03/08/union_myths

Union Myths

by Thomas Sowell

The biggest myth about labor unions is that unions are for the workers. Unions are for unions, just as corporations are for corporations and politicians are for politicians.

Nothing shows the utter cynicism of the unions and the politicians who do their bidding like the so-called "Employee Free Choice Act" that the Obama administration tried to push through Congress. Employees' free choice as to whether or not to join a union is precisely what that legislation would destroy.

Workers already have a free choice in secret-ballot elections conducted under existing laws. As more and more workers in the private sector have voted to reject having a union represent them, the unions' answer has been to take away secret-ballot elections.

Under the "Employee Free Choice Act," unions would not have to win in secret-ballot elections in order to represent the workers. Instead, union representatives could simply collect signatures from the workers until they had a majority.

Why do we have secret ballots in the first place, whether in elections for unions or elections for government officials? To prevent intimidation and allow people to vote how they want to, without fear of retaliation.

This is a crucial right that unions want to take away from workers. The actions of union mobs in Wisconsin, Ohio and elsewhere give us a free home demonstration of how little they respect the rights of those who disagree with them and how much they rely on harassment and threats to get what they want.

It takes world-class chutzpah to call circumventing secret ballots the "Employee Free Choice Act." To unions, workers are just the raw material used to create union power, just as iron ore is the raw material used by U.S. Steel and bauxite is the raw material used by the Aluminum Company of America.

The most fundamental fact about labor unions is that they do not create any wealth. They are one of a growing number of institutions which specialize in siphoning off wealth created by others, whether those others are businesses or the taxpayers.

There are limits to how long unions can siphon off money from businesses, without facing serious economic repercussions.

The most famous labor union leader, the legendary John L. Lewis, head of the United Mine Workers from 1920 to 1960, secured rising wages and job benefits for the coal miners, far beyond what they could have gotten out of a free market based on supply and demand.

But there is no free lunch.

An economist at the University of Chicago called John L. Lewis "the world's greatest oil salesman."

His strikes that interrupted the supply of coal, as well as the resulting wage increases that raised its price, caused many individuals and businesses to switch from using coal to using oil, leading to reduced employment of coal miners. The higher wage rates also led coal companies to replace many miners with machines.

The net result was a huge decline in employment in the coal mining industry, leaving many mining towns virtually ghost towns by the 1960s. There is no free lunch.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
Anyone else here in a union apart from me ?

http://ndu.org.nz/

Anyone else here been a union delegate apart from me ?

Anyone else here had members of their extended family go to the USSR and China to defend their class in the revolutions over there ?

Comrade Stalin

Members of my extended family LEFT China to escape the results of the Cultural Revolution there.

Some of the ones that didn't leave, wound up dead. Along with a few dozen million of their fellow subjects.

I'll pass on leftist utopias, thanks.

Back to the subject: How many more U.S. industries have been degraded or ruined by unions, as the coal industry was? GM buckled under the weight of huge union-demanded pensions and retirements, to the point where they were losing $4,000 per car sold in their last few non-govt years. And that was AFTER they cut so much quality and "nice stuff" that their cars were cheap plastic imitations with some of the worst repair histories in the industry.

Any others?

Sowell's point is extremely valid. Not for nothing did economists call United Mine Workers President John Lewis "The greatest Oil Salesman in the world" after his singlehanded destruction of the coal industry. How many coal-mine workers did he un-employ?

When I was 18, I worked in a UAW represented machine shop. I was operating a machine called the "degreaser" which got the grease and metal fragments off newly machined parts. Never forget the time when I was eating lunch with some other workers, and one guy (high seniority) said "I'm bored with what I'm doing now - think I'll work on the degreaser for awhile." He arranged with the shop steward for me to get bumped, and I lost a job I needed - because someone was bored.

Another time, I was in a union shop manufacturing plant doing spot welds on air conditioning equipment. I showed up one day just feeling I wanted to work hard - and I did. An inspector didn't believe I could be turning out good parts that fast, and he kept checking my work - everything fine. Then, a guy I recognized as a union shop steward came by and said "You sure are turning out stuff fast." I said "yaaaaaaaa - today I'm just in the mood to work!" I was naive and foolish. The steward said something to the effect that keep it up and they'll raise our quoatas. As he walked away, I suddenly realized that his tone of voice had bordered on threatening. I finally "got it" - a little scared, I slowed way down. Later, the same guy saw my slow down, and was speaking real cheerfully to me. Another worker I told about the incident said I was lucky I didn't get my ass kicked in the parking lot at the end of the day.

...Unions were no longer necessary for workers to get a guaranteed wage at at least a minimum level (and experienced workers get far more), work in a place with decent ventilation, emergency exits, lighting, 40-hour work weeks, benefits, etc. etc. All that was now mandated by law...
The "experienced workers", at Ossur (make prosthetic knees, ankles, in Albion, MI), who trained me (most of which were women), were paid less than I was when I started out, despite being there longer. Women working there were paid much less than the men doing the same job.
At the Ford plant in Sharonville, OH, the "decent ventilation", consisted of air ducts that cooled the machine tools with air that was not contaminated with oil...The workers, however, had to breath the air heavy with oil.
There is not "40-hour work week" mandated by law. What the law does mandate is time and one-half for hours over 40 in a week. Workers have no choice but to work the over-time, or be fired.
The only "benefit" mandated by law, is workmen's compensation for workers hurt on the job and a morning and afternoon break when one is expected to go to the bathroom.

Evidence please.

Comrade Stalin

The Great Leap Forward was an economic and social campaign of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)....

The official toll of excess deaths recorded in China for the years of the Great Leap Forward is 14 million, but as of 1987, scholars had estimated the number of victims to be between 20 and 43 million. -Wiki

The Great Leap Forward was an economic and social campaign of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)....

The official toll of excess deaths recorded in China for the years of the Great Leap Forward is 14 million, but as of 1987, scholars had estimated the number of victims to be between 20 and 43 million. -Wiki

I figured Comrade Stalin was joking with his "request" for evidence, so I ignored it in similar spirit. It's kind of like asking for evidence that WWII occurred... except far fewer Chinese died due to WWII.

Werbung:
Evidence please.

Comrade Stalin

It's already been supplied, chapter and verse - your only response was the typical dumb commie claim it was "propaganda". You are a holocaust denier - the communist holocaust - and no amount of proof will ever suffice for you, because you aren't interested in proof.

Back