1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

US Ship Fires On Egyptian Ship in Suez Canal

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by vyo476, Mar 25, 2008.

1. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

Me, I just think the name of this particular US ship is deeply ironic. Otherwise, it's more or less a tragic accident. We'll still be feeling backlash from it, though, so...comments?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080325/ap_on_re_mi_ea/egypt_us_navy

PS: Apologies for my inactivity of late. Life got intense for a little while out here. I hope I'll be back approaching my previous level of involvement now, but we'll see.

2. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

I don't get the irony, rather, it sounds highly appropriate - the US will defend itself from apparent attacks anywhere in the world. There are unanswered questions - was the ship clearly marked as temporarily in effect a military vessel? Was the small boat warned off? Remember this was how the USS Cole was attacked.

3. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

And recall the recent incidents with the Iranian revolutionary guard

4. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Perhaps I am cynical, but it reminds me of an Arab-Israel battle where a father and son were caught in the crossfire, and the PLO shot the pair and blamed Israel for it.

I can't help but wonder if that happened here since the sailors on our ship accounted for each shot fired as it hit the water.

5. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

The irony lies in the fact that America's "global" image is precisely what most foreigners dislike about us, and now a ship called the "Global Patriot" kills an Egyptian in the Suez Canal. I didn't mean the statement as a criticism, simply an observation.

As for whether the ship was marked - doesn't look like it, from the two photos on Yahoo (here and here). Could easily be that I'm missing something, but from the photos it looks just like a civilian boat.

6. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

What foreigners don't like about us is that we're big, powerful, and occasionally take out dictatorships.

Of course, the boat that approached and blew up the USS Cole looked like a civilian boat. We don't know all the facts, and hopefully the US and the Egyptian canal authorities had some kind of agreement about small boats approaching US military ships, but maybe not.

7. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

It is a civilian boat that was being contracted by the Navy.

8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

It was a civilian boat under short term contract. However I would wager they had military flags flying on it. I also think that a bull horn warning to stay away with someone threatening a US military response, should have been sufficient, don't you think? Or no?

9. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Yes, but one wonders if the same mentality is operative whereby iraqi civilians drive full speed at US army checkpoints, not stopping till they're shot no matter what warning is attempted.

10. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why they fired warning shots at the boat. I fully support this. I still doubt it was one of ours that killed the guy.