1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Vaccine 'could cut cervical cancer deaths 76 pct.

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by palefrost, Sep 5, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost New Member

This is amazing!! I'm so happy to see this in my lifetime! I am surprised that the religious section are upset about giving their child a sex protection vaccine. Has anyone else been following that controversy?

2. DJDizzy1

DJDizzy1 New Member

Yes I read this article to! I think it's a great idea I don't know why religious leaders would be upset no one is saying woman are going to go out and engage in premarital sex due to this vaccine. A cure for a cancer is a huge medical leap forward.

3. palefrost

palefrost New Member

I dont understand it either. Why wouldnt you want to protect your child? Its not condoning sexual behavior its just preventing a virus. You cant predict what happens in a lifetime. I just really dont understand people.

4. LyricB

LyricB New Member

The vaccine doesn't cure cancer, DJ, but rather prevents the virus which can lead to cervical cancer. I'm all for it, though.

5. sarah

sarah New Member

It still won't help the millions of people already infected, but this is a step in the right direction.
    It however will not help current generations because the vaccine will only be effective in people who have never been in any contact with the virus... sadly, between 50 and 75% of sexually active people are infected.

6. palefrost

palefrost New Member

What alarms me the most about this virus and please correct me if i get any of it wrong. A male can carry it but never know he has it. A female gets it and it can lay dorment for years still a stressful event triggers it and then it can activate. What i dont get is, if it ever leaves the woman. Does anyone know if i have that all right ? LOL

7. Plumley

Plumley New Member

Here's a quote from a fact sheet and link to it:

There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. The treatments provided are directed to the changes in the skin or mucous membrane caused by HPV infection, such as warts and pre-cancerous changes in the cervix.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#cure

8. dong

dong New Member

I thought that the reason religious groups were upset about it was because some thought that it might actually condone more sexually wanton behavior due to the removal of one aspect of risk. This is either folly or a gross misunderstanding of the nature of a vaccine.