Voting disparity by ethnic groups

framed

I'm a white guy living in a mostly Hispanic district. When I went to vote this week I noticed about 85% of the voters at my polling station were white.

While I'm perfectly happy to make decisions for people who don't feel like showing up to vote, I have to wonder if its a problem that citizen participation in voting is so skewed by ethnic group. Its clear that a significant ethnic group managed to disenfranchise itself in this election. (at least in my district) Should that be a concern? What if anything should be done about it?

My general opinion is if you're too dumb/lazy/fat/whatever to get off your couch and vote, you really don't deserve much consideration anyway. I've heard Dong talk about mandatory voting in Australia, but I would prefer not to have ignorant votes over mandating a bunch of uninformed people off their couch to just add static to an election. What do you think?

Werbung:
Hell yes, don't get me started about the ignorant voters bit. This is where I say: democracy is not entirely suitable. Else, it requires a structural shift in its application to account for the range of cultural groups that the country contains. The way I see it now, democracy in the US is largely a battle of which cultural group dominates (in terms of voting presence) where, as well as who they can drag along into their ranks.

Back