War Powers

Rick

The US stopped declaring war after world war two. Not fighting wars, just declaring them. All presidents after WWII up to and including obozo have initiated undeclared wars. This is an example of the post WWII accumulation of power in the executive branch, and also the erosion of democracy generally. It really has to end. The president ought to only be able to take military action without a declaration for, say, the first 24 hours of an attack on the US or US forces. After that, all wars should be declared by congress. Another reform that could be done at the same time is recognize the evolving nature of war - that it isn't always prosecuted by nation states, and that the US should be able to declare war on any war-waging entity, eg al qaeda. The people have to pay for wars and do the fighting and dying - their representatives should have to approve it in all cases.

Werbung:
The US stopped declaring war after world war two. Not fighting wars, just declaring them. All presidents after WWII up to and including obozo have initiated undeclared wars. This is an example of the post WWII accumulation of power in the executive branch, and also the erosion of democracy generally. It really has to end. The president ought to only be able to take military action without a declaration for, say, the first 24 hours of an attack on the US or US forces. After that, all wars should be declared by congress. Another reform that could be done at the same time is recognize the evolving nature of war - that it isn't always prosecuted by nation states, and that the US should be able to declare war on any war-waging entity, eg al qaeda. The people have to pay for wars and do the fighting and dying - their representatives should have to approve it in all cases.

The War Powers Act needs to be repealed, not to mention our withdrawal from the United Nations. Those two "entities" are responsible for every war we have been involved in since WW2.

The War Powers Act needs to be repealed, not to mention our withdrawal from the United Nations. Those two "entities" are responsible for every war we have been involved in since WW2.

yea damn the UN for dragging us into Nam and Korea and the 2nd Iraq war...you know we said no...but the UN just forced us into it!

yea damn the UN for dragging us into Nam and Korea and the 2nd Iraq war...you know we said no...but the UN just forced us into it!

The issue isn't whether we had to be "dragged" into those wars, but rather the idea that we have to get "permission" from the representatives of a pack of america-hating dictatorships, euroweenies, communist thugs, islamofascist theocracies, and third world toilet bowls.

Read up on your history, "bunky", and read my entire previous posting. I stated that the War Powers Act and the United Nations have been responsible.......".

Just ONCE I wish you would make a posting where you don't come across as a nincomepoop. I'm really starting to become sympathetic about your "condition".

Read up on your history, "bunky", and read my entire previous posting. I stated that the War Powers Act and the United Nations have been responsible.......".

Just ONCE I wish you would make a posting where you don't come across as a nincomepoop. I'm really starting to become sympathetic about your "condition".

What wars did we fight ..because of the UN...

Also you can't be against the war powers act, Regan used it, and he is God..if you attack anything he did your a RINO and a communist. :)

Congress should make the decision to go to war. Thats why the President is called president instead the King. So why dont John Boehner file for impeachment procedings against Barrack Huesain Obama on the attack on libya.

I don't believe it. I actually agree with you.

I don't believe it. I actually agree with you.

I don't believe it either - first leftwinger I've met who can apparently get his brain around the idea that war declarations shouldn't be limited to being against nation-states.

I don't believe it either - first leftwinger I've met who can apparently get his brain around the idea that war declarations shouldn't be limited to being against nation-states.

I'm left on social issues. I'm a hawk on national defense and moderate on spending.

you can tell rick does not pay much attention, since I have pushed for more military power being used against the Taliban and al Qaeda then most of the republicans here...

I noticed that. You're a guy that doesn't want to fight indiscriminately, but when you think we should go to war, you think we should go balls out. I'm the same way.

Werbung:
I noticed that. You're a guy that doesn't want to fight indiscriminately, but when you think we should go to war, you think we should go balls out. I'm the same way.

What the hell do you mean, you "noticed that"??? Leftwingers are the ones who look for an "exit strategy" instead of victory. I've NEVER supported half measures.

Back