1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Whale-watching ship should have watched a little more carefully

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Little-Acorn, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Well-Known Member

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51603

Whale-Watching Ship Hits, Impales Whale

Monday, July 27, 2009
    By Staff, Associated Press

Vancouver (AP) - It wasn't a pretty sight, but whale watchers on a cruise ship in Canada got more than they bargained for when they arrived at the port of Vancouver -- a dead whale stuck to the bow.

The vessel apparently struck the 70-ton fin whale in the ocean and unknowingly carried it wedged to the bow from Alaskan waters to the Canadian port. The adult whale was an estimated 70 feet (21 meters) long.

The Princess Cruise Lines' Sapphire Princess was docked at the Canada Place terminal Saturday with the whale stuck to it.

"Basically like a train coming through, it just hits them. That bow is kind of like a spear. And once they're hit by it, it probably breaks their back, kills them almost instantly," Craig Delahunt of Tymac Launch Service told AP Television News.

----------------------------------------

There's still time to make up for this terrible tragedy. Maybe next time the ship comes into port, it will have a Greenpeace vessel stuck to the bow.

:D

1 person likes this.
  2. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

This ship should be attacked by the 'Steve Irwin'. The attack should be televised on Animal Planet.:D

1 person likes this.
  3. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    I hate to be the one to break this sad, horrible news to you but:

Stephen Robert Irwin[​IMG]
    Steve Irwin in Australia, 2005

Born22 February 1962(1962-02-22)
    Essendon, Victoria, Australia

Died4 September 2006 (aged 44)
    Batt Reef, Queensland, Australia
    Steve Irwins DEAD ;)

4. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

The SHIP, Dude. The SHIP. Don't you watch "Whale Wars"?

5. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

NO...I would rather watch the 'HISTORY' Channel...much more entertaining. So they named a ship after Steve Irwin the 'fighter of alligator's...WOW'...WHY???

6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

The occurance of ships and whales colliding is not new, nor is it rare. There was a case earlier this year in Alaska where a cruise ship and a humpback ended with a stinky carcass being brought into harbor down in the southeast part of the state.

Back in the late 90s I had the unfortunate occurance of a beluga whale getting struck by the prop. It not only caused considerable equipment damage, but it also cost the whale its life, and some poor govmt employee an hours worth of paperwork.

7. Bunz

Bunz New Member

ASPCA, lighten up a bit.

I have seen Whale Wars. I watched more of it when it was on a few months ago. Only a few episodes of this season. Either way, firstly, the actions taken by the Sea Shepards could easily be described as being those of a pirate. Especially in the first season where they actually boarded one of the whaling ships. If someone where to do something similar considering the hostile intent & international waters one could easily justify"walking the plank"

8. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

What/why...I was asking a question :confused:...of King CLovis to which he responded, you know open adult dialog!

I don't watch those shows so when I was reading this thread it was a legitimate question! You seem rather sensitive to the way in which adults 'ask' for more information or is it just 'this adult'...why is that?

9. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

Fighter of whaling ships. It's a big ship that harasses whaling vessels. Kind of a boring show. I prefer the dog shows.:D

10. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

Yeah........imagine what would happen if the whalers shot and killed some of the crew-members of the Steve Irwin. Wow. Talk about a 'show-stopper'.:D

11. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

I say this as gently as possible but I do have a question???

Who pays/supports those ships that are harassing the whaling ships and why would anyone name one after the 'Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin'??? He wasn't saving the whales, he was saving Crocodiles :rolleyes:

12. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again

1 this has to be one of the more pointless threads, and not sure if it got off track or never had one.

2. Donations to Green Peace pay for the ship

3. He was known for doing alot for animals in general to educate and save them..crocks was just one...he inspired alot of people to care more about animals thus makes a good choice....also I am sure many other names are taken....

4. the History channal is clearly better...though shows like mythbusters rock still.

5. whale fishermen can end up floaters in the ocean for all i care...they should protected as many are getting very low in numbers and could be gone soon. though I think shark attacks would be more fitting then attacks by people.

13. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

Dunno. The Captain of the ship is a jerk. They need to ditch him ASAP.

14. KingClovis

KingClovis New Member

Steel, you're old skool, aren't you? I watch three or four shows at a time. That's what commercials and the control are for.

15. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Well, thanks for the info...but seriously...do all threads have to be POINTED/EARTH SHAKINGLY MONUMENTAL to draw attention???

I found some things out, just by reading this thread, that I had no clue about and it was really painless too :)