What is a liberal?

Castle, first of all you're sadly mistaken. I'm not being hypocritical at all. It's not the fact that Conservatives are speaking in derogatory rhetoric that I can't stand, it's that they use the word 'liberal' to do it.
The word "liberal" is also an adjective. Something that is "liberal" is unappealing to some conservatives. When they talk about "liberals" they're talking about adherents to a belief system they dislike. It is not meant to be "derogatory" - any more than your usage of the word "Conservatives" above.

You and your like are the hypocrites my friend. You talk all this trash about 'liberals' yet preach all this nonsense about how conservative ideology promotes liberty. Hello...'liberal'...'liberty.'
"Liberal" is just a word; it is the meaning that matters. Or have you never heard of the scores of oppressive communist nations that used the term "Democratic Republic" or "People's Republic" while trampling all over the ideals of free elections and civil rights?

At least you could use names like 'tree hugger' or 'bleeding heart.'
Because actual derogatory terms are so much nicer than simple identifications of what his root problem with your line of thinking is.

You didn't find a gem, you found fools gold, hot dog. Besides, I pretty much am a redneck myself. I'm a Texan, and I definitely know when and where to use 'red neck' appropriately. 'Red neck' is only a derogatory term in the eyes of people who know little or nothing about Southern culture.
I can't tell if you're saying it isn't a derogatory term or if you're saying it is but it's okay for you to use it because you are one yourself.

Trust me, just about anyone in this part of the world that fits the stereotype of 'red neck' wouldn't mind being called such. 'White tr**h' would be another story, but
I didn't use that term, did I? Therefore, let's see you 'pick apart' my 'rant.' Let's see how you do partner.

He doesn't need to, although he certainly can if he wishes.

Enjoy your day.

Werbung:
Well if that's true they sure aren't very good at it. I see them more as controlled by the religious right trying to enforce a religious doctrine on people and removing every social safety net that government provides to it's most needy... the poor... the elderly... the sick... the single parent with a small child. I see a predatory party that says fend for yourselves and if you can't make it then you probably deserve to suffer. Not a whole lot to be proud of there!

Please provide examples of conservatives forcing their religion on Americans. Those safety nets which you refer to were never supposed to be part of this country. The Framers would see this as a dangerous extension of federal power, for they, more than anyone, believed in individual sovereignty and liberty where responsibility and self-reliance was supreme. Furthermore, to say that conservatives want to blindly "remove safety nets" is intellectually dishonest. They believe that when the government tries to act as a charitable force, it inevitably makes everything slower, more expensive, and less efficient. Thus they believe in faith-based charities, which is why conservatives, not surprisingly, are more charitable than liberals both in terms of the percentage of their income and the total gross income, despite averaging lower salaries.

I think what he's saying here is Conservatives (Republicans) are more alike and in one big luxury tent... while Liberals (Democrats) have to unite many different groups under one regular "off the shelf" tent to make everyone feel included.

You've got it backwards. Liberals feel the need to identify everyone according to their race, religion, and background whereas conservatives see everyone as an American who has the inherent right to elevate themselves in this country.

On the seek to destroy the American culture statement I'll let everyone ponder that and decide on their own if they believe Liberals don't care about their friends and families and just want them all destroyed. The statement speaks for itself.

You completely missed the point. It's not to say that they don't actually believe that the UN and open borders are in the best interest of the country -- most of them probably do genuinely believe that. They're just wrong.

There you go... it's a God thing... not a Separation of Church & State thing. I hear Taliban in there somewhere and it doesn't sound good to me. But everyone has a right to an opinion. As long as they wouldn't force me to abide by their opinion I'd be fine... unfortunately the forcing their opinion on everyone is what the Conservatives live life for.:eek:

You just don't get it. I've explained it 100 times on this board. I'm not going to waste my time.

In real people talk he's saying this: We Conservatives & God will now force you to do things our way. We are now in charge of your body & all of your bodily functions. You're bad for having sex out of wedlock and now you must pay the price regardless of the circumstances. The choice should not be between you and your family and your doctor. It's all up to us and what we believe. Granted no one saying we Conservatives have to have abortions but that's not the point... WE MUST CONTROL HER BODY!

IT'S NOT HER BODY first of all. It's the babies body. To say that it's her body would be to say that she has 4 eyes, 2 noses, a penis in addition to her vagina (in some cases), etc.... I don't care what a woman does to her body. If she wants to get thousands of piercings or tattoos -- power to her. But I don't believe she has the right to kill another living being.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just kill anything that mildly inconvenienced us? The world doesn't work like that. You reap what you sow.

Well I guess you've proven your case. As we all know Cheney, Rumsfield and Karl Rove all joined right up and served... oh, no... none of them were in the military at all. Well Bush did protect the US from an invasion from Mexico when he chose to show up at the Texas Air National Guard. But still look at Kerry an Murtha. Bunch of Stupid Decorated War Vets. Bunch of cowards... Good point!:mad:

What does this have to do with anything. Do you want me to list some of the Republicans who have served and the Dems who haven't? This is irrelevant.

Depends on how you look at it. My position is that a role of gov't, among other things, is to protect our freedoms from those that would forever remove them, whether they be internal or external forces. Of course, I believe that we are endowed with these liberties from our creator but enforcing and protecting those rights is our responsibility.

-Castle
I'm curious then, is the new Real ID program going to provide freedoms or restrict them for Americans?

vyo746, let's see him or you do it then. You've got nothing on the points I made. you and he both are so caught up in the use of 'red neck' that you forget to back up the claims you're making about being able to pick apart my original statement...or maybe you just can't. I'll bet neither of you will even try. Typical 'conservative' tactics.

USMC the Almighty;7664]Please provide examples of conservatives forcing their religion on Americans. Those safety nets which you refer to were never supposed to be part of this country. The Framers would see this as a dangerous extension of federal power, for they, more than anyone, believed in individual sovereignty and liberty where responsibility and self-reliance was supreme. Furthermore, to say that conservatives want to blindly "remove safety nets" is intellectually dishonest. They believe that when the government tries to act as a charitable force, it inevitably makes everything slower, more expensive, and less efficient. Thus they believe in faith-based charities, which is why conservatives, not surprisingly, are more charitable than liberals both in terms of the percentage of their income and the total gross income, despite averaging lower salaries.

You're saying that it's not a well known and highly self publicized fact that the religious right has a Christian religious agenda and promotes it as their effort to influence the Republican Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abortion/School Prayer/etc., etc., etc.? I can't discuss issues with you if you start out being less than honest.
And again you've made my point. Many Conservatives believe all public support must come at the begging door of some church.

You've got it backwards. Liberals feel the need to identify everyone according to their race, religion, and background whereas conservatives see everyone as an American who has the inherent right to elevate themselves in this country.

That makes no sense my friend and it is historically untrue. Republicans win by trying to divide groups on the other side while keeping their like niche together. Democrats can only win when they bind several different groups together. That's just the demographics of the two parties and not a big secret.

You completely missed the point. It's not to say that they don't actually believe that the UN and open borders are in the best interest of the country -- most of them probably do genuinely believe that. They're just wrong.

I didn't miss your point at all... I just don't agree with your premise.

You just don't get it. I've explained it 100 times on this board. I'm not going to waste my time.

Oh we get it... you just can't sell it!

IT'S NOT HER BODY first of all. It's the babies body. To say that it's her body would be to say that she has 4 eyes, 2 noses, a penis in addition to her vagina (in some cases), etc.... I don't care what a woman does to her body. If she wants to get thousands of piercings or tattoos -- power to her. But I don't believe she has the right to kill another living being. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just kill anything that mildly inconvenienced us? The world doesn't work like that. You reap what you sow.

Since no one can stop another person from what they do to their own body the question of abortion is not one of can it be stopped, only one of how dangerous to the woman should it be.
And of course I disagree with you assertion that it's not her body. It is her body and her decision to make. Amazing how the right strives to be so involved in the control of a womans bodily functions yet are also always for cuts in programs that help single parents & poor families with children.

What does this have to do with anything. Do you want me to list some of the Republicans who have served and the Dems who haven't? This is irrelevant.

I know it made your argument look pitifully weak when I pointed out your rhetoric in the present tense ignored a lot of "CHICKEN HAWK"... I'm sorry but that's just the truth. You're the one that walked out on that ledge with your statement... I didn't put you there.;)

vyo746, let's see him or you do it then. You've got nothing on the points I made. you and he both are so caught up in the use of 'red neck' that you forget to back up the claims you're making about being able to pick apart my original statement...or maybe you just can't. I'll bet neither of you will even try. Typical 'conservative' tactics.

Actually, I myself am more liberal than conservative. I just dislike BS.

Perhaps providing an example of a pejorative usage of the word "liberal" would be conducive to the continuation of this argument. It does no good to ask someone to pick apart a problem which is partially veiled.

You'll find that only one rather scant line of my own post was devoted to the "red neck" comment. That hardly constitutes being "caught up" in it as you put it. However, if you really want to draw out the issue...we don't know you here. We don't know any of your previous associations with "red necks" or that you sometimes consider yourself to be one - that is, we did not know that when your original "red neck" comment was made (the one Castle indicated in his post). Without that connection your usage of the term came across as purely derogatory. Later revealing that you yourself are in fact a "red neck" is a cheap tactic - akin to preselecting a hand in a poker game, hiding it up your sleeve, and then pulling it out in the middle of the game.

Liberals (stemming from the word LIBERTY) believe in equal rights for each citizen, both positive freedom (freedom to do) and negative freedom (freedom from restraint).
You'll find that most conservatives believe in the same basic thing. The difference is that they believe that "positive freedom" should be self-determined, not granted by the state.

Liberals today are more like 'deontological liberals' coined by John Rawls. Deontological liberals believe that each person is granted unalterable basic rights.
Unalterable? Inalienable? Declaration of Independence? Here's a clue - we all believe that (the only difference in terminology being that your definition means they can't be changed, whereas the Declaration's definition means they can't be transferred or taken away - semantic at best). For all your dislike of conservatives they have no desire to deprive you of your "basic rights." Furthermore, the fact that a certain group of liberals stands for this does not mean that all do - or that this is a complete view of liberalism, which has many more tenets that conservatives are more apt to dislike.

I can't stand it when neo-cons and rednecks use 'liberal' in a derogatory fashion.
So you mean to say that liberals are the only ones who represent liberty and the conservatives represent...what, anarchism?

Those idiots don't realize that they are bashing the 9th Amendment when using the word in that fashion.

Here's your argument: Liberals represent liberty and the unspoken rights alluded to by the Ninth Amendment. Those rights are defined by liberals (and not by you - or at least not in this post). Bashing liberals is bashing the 9th Amendment which is bashing these rights.

Here's the problem. What are those rights? The Constitution doesn't implicitly say. Roe vs. Wade, for instance, yielded a decision that the Ninth Amendment cedes a limited right to abortion. Is there a right to abortion? Until we can completely put to rest the debate about whether or not a fetus is a living human being, there's no way to tell.

That's the problem with the Ninth Amendment. It was meant to limit governmental power, ie keep the government from sticking its nose in people's business in ways the Founding Fathers couldn't anticipate. However, the government has to stick its nose in our business every now and then. Or do you favor the legalization of homicide?

1. They believe that everyone is born with the same opportunity. They often site examples of one-in -a-million, extremely lucky people who are born into poverty, but overcome it. They then think they can judge everyone on economic status.
Here we agree. For the most part.

2. Conservatives believe that money in the hands of the rich will 'trickle-down' into the economy. B*** S***! All this does is give the rich (the small minority) control of the nation's economic destiny. All rich folks usually do is invest their surplus in hedge funds, etc. and pay immigrants to build large townhouses (all that money goes to Mexico). If the govt. would help the poor with basic needs (food, meds, rent,etc), the extra discretionary income the poor would have would be recirculated back into the domestic economy ten times as fast as the rich recirculate it (the little money the rich actually do recirculate into the domestic economy). I call this 'Trickle-Up Economics'--I invented it--you heard it here first!

Take a good, long look around you. You're surrounded by corporate America, aren't you? Those corporations, which employ millions of Americans, were all started by a little something we call "entrepreneurs" - venture capitalists. Those people took a fairly decent chunk of money, invested it in a company, and from there the company grew and grew - making that entrepreneur a very rich man but also creating tons of jobs for working class stiffs like me. That is the essence of trickle-down - put money in the hands of investors so they can invest and create more jobs.

As for your "Trickle-Up" economics - besides bringing a number of Salvador Dali paintings to mind - I have a strange feeling that this will also be the last place I hear it. Your theory only works so long as those poor people you're talking about have jobs. If the government starts flipping off corporations left and right - where are those jobs going to come from? Without gainful employment the poor would have no "discretionary income" to invest in the domestic economy.

3. The third big conservative mistake is that Conservatives believe that taxes are an 'UNnecessary evil.'
Those are libertarians and most mainstream conservatives consider them to be radicals. Besides, with your talk of the domestic economy, I'd have figured you to be in favor of lower taxes (less burden on the poor) and a higher tariff (to protect American industry, bolstering the domestic economy and trumping international trade).

How would they fund their oil war..um, I mean 'war on terror' and their hypocritical expansion of government (yes.. the Dept. of Homeland Security) if it weren't for taxes. The largest ammount of tax receipts ever collected (which is THIS year) is under Bush's administration. Conservatives today are a complete joke!!!
These are what we refer to as "neocons." Most conservatives themselves acknowledge the difference. Ask USMC or Dave and they'll both tell you that the expansion of government under Bush has made them cringe, and they're both pretty darn conservative. (Have you debated with them yet? Sorry, I'm forgetting that you're still relatively new here.)

What I'm getting at is that Liberals today believe in:
basic rights for everyone;
Conservatives believe in basic rights for everyone too. Emphasis on "basic" and on "rights."

they have the balls to admit that taxes are a necessary evil;
Conservatives want lower taxes, not no taxes. No taxes would be nice to them but they live in reality too and recognize that it'd be a plain old bad idea.

they have the balls to actually pay their taxes;
Please. There's plenty of tax fraud to go around so don't just point the finger at conservatives and blame them for it. Henry David Thoreau was an environmentalist and an anti-war protester - and a he was guilty of tax evasion, for not wanting to help fund a war he thought was unjust. Today he'd be a liberal hero.

they don't believe that the world is only 4,000 years old and that Jesus is going to come floating down from the clouds in a Chevy pickup and smite all the Muslims and teenagers who have had abortions;
Ah, secularism. The funny thing is that according to the Bill of Rights, we have freedom of religion in this country - which means that conservatives can and will believe whatever they want to about Jesus' choice of automobiles (that said he'd totally have a VW bus and you know it). The whole "separation of church and state" argument has been done in another thread but it can be repeated here if you really want to beat that particular dead horse.

they can actually understand high school science and realize that the more CO2 you put in the air, the hotter the atmosphere becomes;
Again, we agree.

and finally, they believe in having solid proof of WMDs before they go and destroy the birthplace of civilization.

In today's international intelligence community, you can't find "solid proof" that the sun rises in the East. We have the most advanced intelligence gathering service in the history of the world - and not nearly enough people to analyze it all. Picture a gymnasium full of paperwork and only you to go through it all - and that's what the average intelligence official in this country deals with on a daily basis.

Besides, WMDs weren't the only reason we went to war in Iraq. Saddam was a very, very unpopular dictator. Getting rid of him was good enough reason for me - he was an impediment to self-determination, one of the principles that our country was founded upon. Now that he's gone all that's left for us is to get the Iraqi defense forces into good enough shape to keep their country in working order and then we'll be done.

Many of the reasons for the Iraq War stink. A lot. That is no reason to turn tail and run now - which would have a severely detrimental affect on the Iraqi people. The way I see it, we got them into this mess - its our job to get them out of it, or to at least see things through until they can get themselves out of it.

vyo476, hats off to you. Thanks for the good debate. Ok, first of all, can we just get past the 'red neck' B.S. once and for all? I'm from Texas and have suffered from being placed in the stereotype my whole life. Therefore, I felt justified in using the word. People from the northern half of the country have asked me if I ride a horse to work. People in Europe have asked me if I shoot people and if I know Walker Texas Ranger. I kinda forgot that we're not all Texans in here. Look...the whole 'red neck' issue is complicated, I shouldn't have used the term, and it's gotten in the way of our discussion. Besides, it was meant in a somewhat humerous, nonoffensive way. Kind of like how some African-Americans use the n-word when referring to eachother--"it's ok if you're African-American, but don't dare say it if you're white." The same thing here, it's ok because I'm from TX--that's the logic behind what I mean here...probably not perfect logic..yeah,yeah,yeah. Anyway...ok the 'Salvador Dali' comment and the VW comment were pretty funny. Got to finish some work right now, I'll get back to this shortly

You're saying that it's not a well known and highly self publicized fact that the religious right has a Christian religious agenda and promotes it as their effort to influence the Republican Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abortion/School Prayer/etc., etc., etc.? I can't discuss issues with you if you start out being less than honest.
And again you've made my point. Many Conservatives believe all public support must come at the begging door of some church.

There's a difference between morality and religion. Please provide examples of where modern conservatives have tried to legislate religion. And no, I don't believe that "public support must come at the begging door of some church". Where did you get that from?

I believe, as did our Framers, that our inalienable rights come from the Creator, not from the government.

That makes no sense my friend and it is historically untrue. Republicans win by trying to divide groups on the other side while keeping their like niche together. Democrats can only win when they bind several different groups together. That's just the demographics of the two parties and not a big secret.

Historically untrue? Lest you forget that the Republicans are the "Party of Lincoln" as Reconstruction era freedmen referred to it? At any rate, this has nothing to do with my original premise that conservatives believe in a colorblind society where merit rules the day, not the color of ones skin. Democrats tell minorities that they are, simply by the color of their skin, not good enough to make it on their own and need special advantages to advance.

I didn't miss your point at all... I just don't agree with your premise.

So you think that our rights come from the government? Then why did the Declaration state that our inalienable rights are granted by the Creator? Why does the Constitution start out, "we the people". Not "we the federal government" or "we the lawyers".

Since no one can stop another person from what they do to their own body the question of abortion is not one of can it be stopped, only one of how dangerous to the woman should it be.

That's not true. Other countries (especially Muslim) tell people what they can and cannot do with their bodies all the time. And when enforced, they do, in essence, stop people from doing whatever they want with their own bodies.

And of course I disagree with you assertion that it's not her body. It is her body and her decision to make. Amazing how the right strives to be so involved in the control of a womans bodily functions yet are also always for cuts in programs that help single parents & poor families with children.

So when a woman is pregnant with a boy, she has a penis and a vagina, two noses, four ears, 4 eyes, two brains, etc?

They two have nothing to do with each other. Conservatives believe that private charity is always better than large, expensive, and inefficient government programs that do nothing but waste money.

I know it made your argument look pitifully weak when I pointed out your rhetoric in the present tense ignored a lot of "CHICKEN HAWK"... I'm sorry but that's just the truth. You're the one that walked out on that ledge with your statement... I didn't put you there.;)

What are you talking about? I'm not a Chickenhawk. I'm in the god damn Marines. But that's irrelevant. You can not be in the military and support the military. Just the same you can not be a brain surgeon and support the one performing on your sister.

...continued from last post:
vyo476, "You'll find that most conservatives believe in the same basic thing. The difference is that they believe that "positive freedom" should be self-determined, not granted by the state."
--I don't understand what 'difference' you're referring to. I think both sides think that posttive freedom should be self-determined.

"Unalterable? Inalienable? Declaration of Independence? Here's a clue - we all believe that (the only difference in terminology being that your definition means they can't be changed, whereas the Declaration's definition means they can't be transferred or taken away - semantic at best). For all your dislike of conservatives they have no desire to deprive you of your "basic rights." Furthermore, the fact that a certain group of liberals stands for this does not mean that all do - or that this is a complete view of liberalism, which has many more tenets that conservatives are more apt to dislike."
--What I'm referring to is that today's conservatives are more alligned with communalism (not 'communism'), in which the whole is seen as greater than the sum of its parts. I feel that conservatives hold this in higher regard than the rights of the individual--i.e. 'zero-tolerance'; justifying big business trampling over employees by agruing that big business is essential to economic development; colateral damage in Iraq (I know they try to minimize it with precision bombs, etc., but they are much quicker to allow collateral damage than liberals are). What this all boils down to is that I feel that conservatives forget the actual individuals affected by their quest towards actualizing their ideology. The fact that the neo-cons will sacrifice our freedom of privacy (yes, I know that 'privacy' is not mentioned in the Constitution, but I'll bet you and everyone else would put up a fight to protect it) in order to 'catch terrorists' and that they want to have secret tribunals for suspects instead of respecting our system of justice is symbolic of the communal thinking that I feel cons adhere to.

"So you mean to say that liberals are the only ones who represent liberty and the conservatives represent...what, anarchism?"
--Not at all. I understand that both sides ultimately strive for the same ultimate result. It's just that conservatives get so caught up in bashing their competition, that they loose sight of the big picture--even to the point of making 'liberty/liberal' a 'bad word.' This, to me, is a huge red flag that we're all in big trouble. Everytime I hear 'liberal' used that way it reminds me of the utter mess we're in. I don't mind 'tree hugger,' etc., but when 'liberal' is used in that context, it's a sad sign of the times. That's what I was initially getting at.

"Here's your argument: Liberals represent liberty and the unspoken rights alluded to by the Ninth Amendment. Those rights are defined by liberals (and not by you - or at least not in this post). Bashing liberals is bashing the 9th Amendment which is bashing these rights.

Here's the problem. What are those rights? The Constitution doesn't implicitly say. Roe vs. Wade, for instance, yielded a decision that the Ninth Amendment cedes a limited right to abortion. Is there a right to abortion? Until we can completely put to rest the debate about whether or not a fetus is a living human being, there's no way to tell.

That's the problem with the Ninth Amendment. It was meant to limit governmental power, ie keep the government from sticking its nose in people's business in ways the Founding Fathers couldn't anticipate. However, the government has to stick its nose in our business every now and then. Or do you favor the legalization of homicide?"
--Again, (that was kind of harsh of me to use the word 'idiot') I feel the conservatives are willing to sacrifice our privacy in order to 'protect' America according to the way that feel America should be protected (staving off the symptoms, not curing the disease--we can get into this later). I think the 9th was written in order to pervent things such as this. My line of logic here is that: 1. cons trample over our right to privacy ('unwritten' right); 2. the 9th protects 'unwritten rights' such as privacy; 3. libs standup to protect our 'unwritten' rights such as privacy; 4. cons label libs as "unpatriotic" and "standing with the terrorists," being referred to in their use of the word 'liberal.'

"Here we agree. For the most part."
--I'm gald we agree on this. I don't see how one can argue it.

"Take a good, long look around you. You're surrounded by corporate America, aren't you? Those corporations, which employ millions of Americans, were all started by a little something we call "entrepreneurs" - venture capitalists. Those people took a fairly decent chunk of money, invested it in a company, and from there the company grew and grew - making that entrepreneur a very rich man but also creating tons of jobs for working class stiffs like me. That is the essence of trickle-down - put money in the hands of investors so they can invest and create more jobs.

As for your "Trickle-Up" economics - besides bringing a number of Salvador Dali paintings to mind - I have a strange feeling that this will also be the last place I hear it. Your theory only works so long as those poor people you're talking about have jobs. If the government starts flipping off corporations left and right - where are those jobs going to come from? Without gainful employment the poor would have no "discretionary income" to invest in the domestic economy."

--Since Bush cane into office, over 5 million people fell below the poverty line. These are not bums, but people with jobs--often more than one job. If the govt helped these people pay for meds, rent, etc, it WOULD result in more discretionary income for them (us) which would recirculate into the domestic economy. Everyone wins: the poor folks get to buy more clothes, gas, satellite tv, jewelry, dvds, etc--the rich (company owners and shareholders) make more profits. All the rich would have to do is invest in some 'consumer discretionary' or 'consumer staples' ETFs. Maybe you'll never hear of 'trickle-up' economics again, but I think you'll hear a lot more about the idea I'm speaking of. And..yes, the Salvador Dali' remark was pretty good.

"Those are libertarians and most mainstream conservatives consider them to be radicals. Besides, with your talk of the domestic economy, I'd have figured you to be in favor of lower taxes (less burden on the poor) and a higher tariff (to protect American industry, bolstering the domestic economy and trumping international trade)."
--Yes, but conservatives always label libs as 'tax and spend,' which is pretty cheap of them to do if they DO realize that taxation is a necessary evil.

"These are what we refer to as "neocons." Most conservatives themselves acknowledge the difference. Ask USMC or Dave and they'll both tell you that the expansion of government under Bush has made them cringe, and they're both pretty darn conservative. (Have you debated with them yet? Sorry, I'm forgetting that you're still relatively new here.)"
--I know what neo-cons are...duh. No, I haven't talked with USMC or Dave yet. About the DHLS, I'm simply calling the neo-cons out on it.

"Please. There's plenty of tax fraud to go around so don't just point the finger at conservatives and blame them for it. Henry David Thoreau was an environmentalist and an anti-war protester - and a he was guilty of tax evasion, for not wanting to help fund a war he thought was unjust. Today he'd be a liberal hero."
--I'm talking ideologies here. Not paying taxes out of protest to a war is a whole different animal than not paying taxes out of greed. I know there's no way of proving the intentions of a person who evades taxes, but the cons argue for tax breaks based upon selfishness and greed.

...Continued:
"Ah, secularism. The funny thing is that according to the Bill of Rights, we have freedom of religion in this country - which means that conservatives can and will believe whatever they want to about Jesus' choice of automobiles (that said he'd totally have a VW bus and you know it). The whole "separation of church and state" argument has been done in another thread but it can be repeated here if you really want to beat that particular dead horse."
--Of course anyone can believe what they want, but I'm tired of Bush's little religious referrals and his religion guiding his political decisions. About Jesus' ride: "Bush's and Jerry Falwell's Jesus" would come down from the clouds in a Chevy Silverado and he would be bumping off all of the Democrats, Catholics, Muslims, and hybrid car drivers along the way. "Regular Jesus" would definitely roll in a VW bus..lol...lol..lol! So would 'hippy Jesus.' By the way I am a devout Catholic ('liberal Catholic) despite my views on women's choice, and I believe the good Lord has a great sense of humor. But, I strongly believe in seperating religion from politics.

"Again, we agree."
--That one's a no-brainer.

"In today's international intelligence community, you can't find "solid proof" that the sun rises in the East. We have the most advanced intelligence gathering service in the history of the world - and not nearly enough people to analyze it all. Picture a gymnasium full of paperwork and only you to go through it all - and that's what the average intelligence official in this country deals with on a daily basis.

Besides, WMDs weren't the only reason we went to war in Iraq. Saddam was a very, very unpopular dictator. Getting rid of him was good enough reason for me - he was an impediment to self-determination, one of the principles that our country was founded upon. Now that he's gone all that's left for us is to get the Iraqi defense forces into good enough shape to keep their country in working order and then we'll be done.

Many of the reasons for the Iraq War stink. A lot. That is no reason to turn tail and run now - which would have a severely detrimental affect on the Iraqi people. The way I see it, we got them into this mess - its our job to get them out of it, or to at least see things through until they can get themselves out of it."
--We DO NOT have any right to go and oust other leaders whether we like their leadership skills or not, especially with no real cry for help from the Iraqi people. I'm sure the terrorists honestly feel that it would be in our best interest if the United States became a Muslim theocracy. I'll bet that the Chinese hardliners honestly feel that the U.S. would be honestly better off as a communist country. How do we know that our brand of democracy is best for the Iraqi people???????? They didn't ask us for it. But, I do agree that we cannot pull out right now. We're stuck there for a while because Besh was WRONG WRONG WRONG and made the worst mistake this country will ever know.

vyo476, thanks again for the great debate and challenge! Hope to hear more on this from you.

USMC the Almighty;7751]There's a difference between morality and religion. Please provide examples of where modern conservatives have tried to legislate religion. And no, I don't believe that "public support must come at the begging door of some church". Where did you get that from?

Come on my friend. You know as well as anyone the push to force Christian religious beliefs into government is a right wing plank to the Republican Party. I've already posted examples.
As far as "begging at the church's door" I was merely combining your positions of less social domestic spending and your statements on the church.

I believe, as did our Framers, that our inalienable rights come from the Creator, not from the government.

A lot of people say that not understanding the true situation of the time. The truth is it actually wasn't a Christian perspective but something else. George Washington, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere and the list goes on, were all very dedicated "Freemasons". It's a little different way to think about God... or God & Country. I'll cut & paste a little...

Masons (Freemasonry)
Christian or Anti-Christian?*

Freemasonry refers to the principles, institutions, and practices of the fraternal order of the Free and Accepted Masons. The largest worldwide society, Freemasonry is an organization of men based on the "fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man," using builders' tools as symbols to teach basic moral truths generally accepted by persons of good will. Their motto is "morality in which all men agree, that is, to be good men and true." It is religious in that a belief in a Supreme Being and in the immortality of the soul are the two prime requirements for membership, but it is nonsectarian in that no religious test is used. The purpose of Freemasonry is to enable men to meet in harmony, to promote friendship, and to be charitable. Its basic ideals are that all persons are the children of one God, that all persons are related to each other, and that the best way to worship God is to be of service to people.

Historically untrue? Lest you forget that the Republicans are the "Party of Lincoln" as Reconstruction era freedmen referred to it? At any rate, this has nothing to do with my original premise that conservatives believe in a colorblind society where merit rules the day, not the color of ones skin. Democrats tell minorities that they are, simply by the color of their skin, not good enough to make it on their own and need special advantages to advance.

I was using "historically as in modern history. Say over the last hundred years. If you go back to Lincoln you have to remember that there was a huge switch in positions between the two political parties of that era. Remember back then there was the Whig party that later became the Republican Party. The Democrats held on to their name but over time the positions of the two parties did an almost complete 180 on many social issues.

So you think that our rights come from the government? Then why did the Declaration state that our inalienable rights are granted by the Creator? Why does the Constitution start out, "we the people". Not "we the federal government" or "we the lawyers".

As I've stated above you're missing the "Freemasons" angle here. Did you know that the original line in the Constitution was originally drafted as, "We hold these truths to be divinely inspired and sacred? But was changed to, "We hold these rights to be self-evident" because the judgment of the day was that the first wording might be seen as linking the church with the government which was absolutely something they were clearly trying to prohibit due to the experience of the Church of England and the control it influenced over the British government. And to go even further you also must realize that the Constitution itself is not a perfect document nor bullet proof when it comes to change and the evolution of society. Case in point women had no voting rights... slaves had no rights at all. You would not want those mistakes to be enforced today I'm sure.

That's not true. Other countries (especially Muslim) tell people what they can and cannot do with their bodies all the time. And when enforced, they do, in essence, stop people from doing whatever they want with their own bodies.

Sooooooo your position is you want the United States of America to move backward to the Christian equivalent of the tribal teachings & enforcement of Muslim/Taiban fundamentalist religion. Do you not see how wrong that is on so many levels?

So when a woman is pregnant with a boy, she has a penis and a vagina, two noses, four ears, 4 eyes, two brains, etc?

A woman controls her body and anything residing therein. Not me... not you... not government.

They two have nothing to do with each other. Conservatives believe that private charity is always better than large, expensive, and inefficient government programs that do nothing but waste money.

They have everything to do with each other. If your not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

What are you talking about? I'm not a Chickenhawk. I'm in the god damn Marines. But that's irrelevant. You can not be in the military and support the military. Just the same you can not be a brain surgeon and support the one performing on your sister.

I never said you were a Chicken Hawk. When you tried to bash the Democrats as weak, anti-war cowards I pointed out to you how dedicated to fighting your beloved Republican leaders really were. Everyone talks a good fight as long as they're not the ones going to the front lines to actually do the fighting.

Bottom line I'm proud of your service. I strongly disagree with just about everything I've read that you've written but I will always respect your service to our country. Thank you!

Even though we disagree let me say this so you don't think I'm anti-military in anyway. My Uncle Orville served with General Patton in Europe. My Father served in Korea. My wife served in Army intelligence as a code breaker, a Russian linguist, during the end of the cold war. My best friend in the world served in the Marines and his son Scott is an Army Ranger, a sergeant who's been in the Army for 15 years. Scott is on his 2nd tour in Iraq plus one in Kuwait. I love our military but I also know what's going on by first hand information. I have to make judgments from information I trust and that's what I intend to do as I speak out about it.

A lot of people say that not understanding the true situation of the time. The truth is it actually wasn't a Christian perspective but something else. George Washington, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere and the list goes on, were all very dedicated "Freemasons". It's a little different way to think about God... or God & Country. I'll cut & paste a little...

???? Most Freemasons in colonial America were Christians.

Werbung:
Those modern conservatives you're talking about are what we generally refer to as neocons (neo-conservatives) and they don't adhere to the basic precepts of conservatism - a small, defense-minded government with low taxes that favors utilitarian efficiency. "Legislating their morals," as you put it, increases the size of the government - which goes against the "small government" part of the traditional conservative approach.

Conservatives have been pretty BIG on defense, and hawkish with it since Goldwater.

And under the Bush administration-

Individual income taxes are the lowest they’ve been since 1951, and federal revenue as a percent of GDP is at its lowest point since 1959
http://www.realchangenews.org/2005/2005_03_02/current/cpp.html

And 9/11 had a tendency to draw many Republicans to the neocon ideology when it comes to dealing with Islamic fundamentalist. MARK

Back