What Obama's bow in Japan really meant

Little-Acorn

mrz111709dAPR20091117015839.jpg

Werbung:
It's hard to imagine that people in this day and age cannot comprehend simple courtesy. In Japan people bow to each other, it's the custom in the same way that we shake hands. I know Japanese people, I have an American friend who was raised in Japan and this whole thing is just another made up issue to cause strife and misunderstanding for the sake of it.:mad:

It's hard to imagine that people in this day and age cannot comprehend simple courtesy. In Japan people bow to each other, it's the custom in the same way that we shake hands. I know Japanese people, I have an American friend who was raised in Japan and this whole thing is just another made up issue to cause strife and misunderstanding for the sake of it.:mad:

Another poster bereft of humor.

Dommage.

I also have worked in Japan and the rule of thumb is that the person of lower status bows lower. If they both bow the same then it is a general greeting, but if one bows lower it means something sends a different message.

I also have worked in Japan and the rule of thumb is that the person of lower status bows lower. If they both bow the same then it is a general greeting, but if one bows lower it means something sends a different message.

I've seen nothing to indicate that Obie bowed lower than anyone else. Are we so insecure that we are going to have to measure the degrees to which our President bows?

I've seen nothing to indicate that Obie bowed lower than anyone else. Are we so insecure that we are going to have to measure the degrees to which our President bows?

Obama Bow.jpg

First you're not suppose to be touching and bowing at the same time. Second, his bow was significantly lower than appropriate for peers. Finally, peers do not take their eyes off of each other. Subordinates bow low enough to lose eye contact.

I'm not suggesting anything other than poor etiquette. It's part of the job to know this stuff and do it properly.

OMG you guys are so silly.

We are a very respectful nation again. We aren't a bunch of wannabe cowboys anymore out playing mine is bigger than yours.

And besides that, that would be pointless anyway. Everyone already knows President Obama's is bigger.;)

Werbung:

The Emperor did not bow back...

That said, it is not a huge deal for the President to bow like that, his bow was just not the proper way to do it, which I think he figured out, given how he conducted the rest of his time in Japan.

Back