What would you do?

PLC1

Staff member
Joe lost his job as a union plumber making $45 an hour plus overtime when the housing market crashed, spent nearly a year on unemployment, then took a job at WalMart.

His new job pays $10 an hour, for 40 hours a week. He considers himself lucky to have found full time work, but the new job doesn’t pay as much as even unemployment, let alone as much as his old job. He doesn’t want to just stay home and do nothing, and needs to feel like he is contributing to society. He doesn’t want to be a part of the 10% unemployed, and now is not part of that statistic.

He applied for the one plumbing job that opened, along with 500 other applicants.

That $10 per hour translates into $400 per week, or $1,600 per month. When payroll taxes are deducted, he keeps just over $1,400.

His wife was laid off from her teaching job, but found part time work. She would work full time, but child care would take everything she might earn and more. She is able to contribute an additional $800.

She, too, applied for a new teaching job, along with 300 other applicants.

The family purchased a house in 2007 for $250,000. It is a modest, three bedroom in a quiet neighborhood. He put 20% down, plus closing costs, and took a mortgage of $200,000, which is now down to $195,000. His payment is $1,200.

The house appraises for $95,000 in the current market.

As you can see, the house payment accounts for half of the family income, and they have no equity at all. They can barely pay for utilities and put food on the table with what is left.

The family has a car payment of $750, which they can’t pay. Without the car, neither Joe nor his wife can get to work and back.

The family has no medical insurance, and Joe has a problem with high blood pressure. His medications run $240 per month.

Joe doesn’t believe in the welfare state, doesn’t want Medicaid, food stamps, or section 8 housing. He wants to provide for his family.

If you were Joe, what would you do?

Werbung:
Joe lost his job as a union plumber making $45 an hour plus overtime when the housing market crashed, spent nearly a year on unemployment, then took a job at WalMart.

His new job pays $10 an hour, for 40 hours a week. He considers himself lucky to have found full time work, but the new job doesn’t pay as much as even unemployment, let alone as much as his old job. He doesn’t want to just stay home and do nothing, and needs to feel like he is contributing to society. He doesn’t want to be a part of the 10% unemployed, and now is not part of that statistic.

He applied for the one plumbing job that opened, along with 500 other applicants.

That $10 per hour translates into $400 per week, or $1,600 per month. When payroll taxes are deducted, he keeps just over $1,400.

His wife was laid off from her teaching job, but found part time work. She would work full time, but child care would take everything she might earn and more. She is able to contribute an additional $800.

The family purchased a house in 2007 for $250,000. It is a modest, three bedroom in a quiet neighborhood. He put 20% down, plus closing costs, and took a mortgage of $200,000, which is now down to $195,000. His payment is $1,200.

As you can see, the house payment accounts for half of the family income, and they have no equity at all. They can barely pay for utilities and put food on the table with what is left.

The family has a car payment of $750, which they can’t pay. Without the car, neither Joe nor his wife can get to work and back.

The family has no medical insurance, and Joe has a problem with high blood pressure. His medications run $240 per month.

Joe doesn’t believe in the welfare state, doesn’t want Medicaid, food stamps, or section 8 housing. He wants to provide for his family.

The solution is simple. They walk away from the house today unless they can find a short sale buyer and the lender accepts the price. And immediately sell the car. Then buy a much cheaper one.

A few years ago I bought a loaded Toyota Camry for my daughter for $8k. The car runs perfectly even with 130k miles.

Also, he should get involved with local landlords through their association to obtain plumbing jobs...some jobs will be cash deals and not subject to taxation. If he can be responsive to landlords while charging a fair price, he will get work...and possibly make a good living just servicing landlords.

If he is able to get food stamps he should especially if he has kids. This is what the food stamp program was made for, people in temporary hard time’s. Not like it currently is used as a way of life for some.

Also If I were Joe, I would be taking any side work and under the table weekend work I could to get me through this terrible time and I would hope his wife would too. She could do day care in her house and save money on child care and make lots more than working outside the home at a low wage.

If I had a family that could help I would not be too proud to ask, sadly the responsible usually are too proud to ask but the free loaders never are. If he needs meds there is a chance that the company who makes the high blood pressure med he needs would give it to him at a discount or even sometimes free. I would be writing them a letter explaining my situation. If he has a church I would let them know his current situation, I would also consider getting roommates to help with the bills, a friend or couple in the same situation as we are in but already lost their house.

He should blame himself...

he should Yell at the Union for making him to much Money.

He should ignore his health care insurance...I hear from the republicans we all have health care , so its all good.

He should Just go turn the keys over to the bank say sorry I am a deadbeat...And tell them thanks for not doing anything to help on his morgage.

Then she should go hit up all the churches for Food, and health care and shelter...he is free to tell them as well that he is a Atheist but oddly there is not Atheist Church to give him anything.

Then he should go Join the army and go die in Iran.

Sorry i was channeling Rush and Fox news there....

He should blame himself...

he should Yell at the Union for making him to much Money.

He should ignore his health care insurance...I hear from the republicans we all have health care , so its all good.

He should Just go turn the keys over to the bank say sorry I am a deadbeat...And tell them thanks for not doing anything to help on his morgage.

Then she should go hit up all the churches for Food, and health care and shelter...he is free to tell them as well that he is a Atheist but oddly there is not Atheist Church to give him anything.

Then he should go Join the army and go die in Iran.

Sorry i was channeling Rush and Fox news there....

Most absurd even for you...but I know you believe the silliness you post. So sad. So sad.

You really are out there...where the buses don't run...like many lefties.

If he is able to get food stamps he should especially if he has kids. This is what the food stamp program was made for, people in temporary hard time’s. Not like it currently is used as a way of life for some.

Also If I were Joe, I would be taking any side work and under the table weekend work I could to get me through this terrible time and I would hope his wife would too. She could do day care in her house and save money on child care and make lots more than working outside the home at a low wage.

If I had a family that could help I would not be too proud to ask, sadly the responsible usually are too proud to ask but the free loaders never are. If he needs meds there is a chance that the company who makes the high blood pressure med he needs would give it to him at a discount or even sometimes free. I would be writing them a letter explaining my situation. If he has a church I would let them know his current situation, I would also consider getting roommates to help with the bills, a friend or couple in the same situation as we are in but already lost their house.

Accepting food stamps is no doubt a good idea, as the first priority is to feed his children. Taking odd jobs for cash is another help.

Should he really try to hold on to that house? Currently, it represents a liability of $100,000, but it does offer a place to live that is better than anything he is likely to be able ot rent.

While the cost of houses has gone down dramatically since the crash of 2008, rents have not. The number of people who are renting has gone up as the number of foreclosures has increased, supply and demand has brought rents up.

Now, about that car: On the one hand, he needs it to get to work. On the other, he can't make the payments any longer. If he defaults on the house, then he won't be able to qualify for a refinance.

Accepting food stamps is no doubt a good idea, as the first priority is to feed his children. Taking odd jobs for cash is another help.

Should he really try to hold on to that house? Currently, it represents a liability of $100,000, but it does offer a place to live that is better than anything he is likely to be able ot rent.

While the cost of houses has gone down dramatically since the crash of 2008, rents have not. The number of people who are renting has gone up as the number of foreclosures has increased, supply and demand has brought rents up.

Now, about that car: On the one hand, he needs it to get to work. On the other, he can't make the payments any longer. If he defaults on the house, then he won't be able to qualify for a refinance.

Gipper made good points about the house and car.

I would not want to get rid of my house, I would rather get room mates or something like that

I would be ok with getting rid of the better car with payments and buying a cheaper car without payments but I would not get rid of my house unless there was just no other way.

Gipper made good points about the house and car.

I would not want to get rid of my house, I would rather get room mates or something like that

I would be ok with getting rid of the better car with payments and buying a cheaper car without payments but I would not get rid of my house unless there was just no other way.

Things are looking up for our hero. He is taking odd jobs for cash. He has determined that walking away from the house is not a solution, as rents are nearly as much as the mortgage payments. Food stamps are a big help, even though he hates using them. His church is helping with utilities and clothing for the kids. He has another family in similar straits sharing the house, which helps both of them. It's a little crowded, but it is doable. Moreover, having two sets of adults helps with child care. He took a 20 year old Honda in trade for his car. Old Hondas never die.

Now, let's multiply Joe by thousands of families all over this great land of ours. Some, if not most, did lose their houses. None of them are buying cars or doing a lot of Christmas shopping. They are taking food stamps, section 8 housing, and outright welfare payments at least temporarily. Local food banks have empty shelves. Thousands of houses are vacant, and very few new ones are being built, so construction jobs are non existent. People are taking odd jobs under the table, and not paying taxes.

It's quite easy to see why we're in trouble, isn't it?

Things are looking up for our hero. He is taking odd jobs for cash. He has determined that walking away from the house is not a solution, as rents are nearly as much as the mortgage payments. Food stamps are a big help, even though he hates using them. His church is helping with utilities and clothing for the kids. He has another family in similar straits sharing the house, which helps both of them. It's a little crowded, but it is doable. Moreover, having two sets of adults helps with child care. He took a 20 year old Honda in trade for his car. Old Hondas never die.

Now, let's multiply Joe by thousands of families all over this great land of ours. Some, if not most, did lose their houses. None of them are buying cars or doing a lot of Christmas shopping. They are taking food stamps, section 8 housing, and outright welfare payments at least temporarily. Local food banks have empty shelves. Thousands of houses are vacant, and very few new ones are being built, so construction jobs are non existent. People are taking odd jobs under the table, and not paying taxes.

It's quite easy to see why we're in trouble, isn't it?

We are in terrible trouble and there is no one person or party to blame, but everyone thinks the other sides solutions were the problem so we never get anyplace.

we are screwed really, its just a matter of time before we all realize it

We are in terrible trouble and there is no one person or party to blame, but everyone thinks the other sides solutions were the problem so we never get anyplace.

we are screwed really, its just a matter of time before we all realize it

Exactly, and we spend all of our energy arguing over whose fault it is, rather than coming up with practical solutions.

Our government is dysfunctional due to ideological bickering and power struggles. The economy is in a shambles, and we're blaming "the rich" or "liberals" or whoever we don't like.

Maybe, eventually we will wake up and realize that we're screwed, that we're all in this sinking ship together, and then do something about it.

Or not. We could go down pointing fingers instead of manning the lifeboats.

Exactly, and we spend all of our energy arguing over whose fault it is, rather than coming up with practical solutions.

Our government is dysfunctional due to ideological bickering and power struggles. The economy is in a shambles, and we're blaming "the rich" or "liberals" or whoever we don't like.

Maybe, eventually we will wake up and realize that we're screwed, that we're all in this sinking ship together, and then do something about it.

Or not. We could go down pointing fingers instead of manning the lifeboats.

Here is one example of each thinking the other side is wrong, immigration.

A friend of mine did dry wall for years. About 8 years or so he noticed more and more illegals were getting the jobs instead of other guys he knew till eventually they got his job too. That is a job Americans were doing till they were driven out of it. It’s happening in meat cutting too. My cousin is the only non illegal left in his company as a meat cutter and it’s probably because he is good friends with the owner that he still has a job there.. Another job Americans would do.

When we say stop illegal immigration we are told we are heartless blah blah, its jobs Americans won’t do blah blah…
I see my side clearly in the right here and not doing anything about it is destroying our nation. But the other side just sees me as heartless person.

You mentioned life boats. When they are full there is a group who will insist we fill them fuller even if we all die because if not then we are heartless. Even when we go down we will argue about it

Here is one example of each thinking the other side is wrong, immigration.

A friend of mine did dry wall for years. About 8 years or so he noticed more and more illegals were getting the jobs instead of other guys he knew till eventually they got his job too. That is a job Americans were doing till they were driven out of it. It’s happening in meat cutting too. My cousin is the only non illegal left in his company as a meat cutter and it’s probably because he is good friends with the owner that he still has a job there.. Another job Americans would do.

When we say stop illegal immigration we are told we are heartless blah blah, its jobs Americans won’t do blah blah…
I see my side clearly in the right here and not doing anything about it is destroying our nation. But the other side just sees me as heartless person.

You mentioned life boats. When they are full there is a group who will insist we fill them fuller even if we all die because if not then we are heartless. Even when we go down we will argue about it

It's interesting you would bring up illegal immigration. There used to be jobs for people who had few job skills. We used to pick our own crops and make our own motel beds. No more.

Most people are on the side of securing the border and putting a stop to illegal immigration, regardless of their political party and/or philosophy, and yet Washington has steadfastly refused to address the issue for decades.

Why?

It's interesting you would bring up illegal immigration. There used to be jobs for people who had few job skills. We used to pick our own crops and make our own motel beds. No more.

Most people are on the side of securing the border and putting a stop to illegal immigration, regardless of their political party and/or philosophy, and yet Washington has steadfastly refused to address the issue for decades.

Why?

Congress loves the free money they get from the illegals which is why they prefer no change to the status quo (doesn't stop the rhetoric of course).

Americans ceased changing beds and crop picking when the Great Society made it more lucrative to live off the government teet.

Why?

I have no idea why, and its not just democrats... its republicans too.

Its like that camel with the nose in your tent. First the illegals came to tree plant and pick grapes and everyone was ok with that then it was motel maids now its dry walling, house construction and meat cutting.

the lesson.....Never let the camel peek in!

Werbung:
Congress loves the free money they get from the illegals which is why they prefer no change to the status quo (doesn't stop the rhetoric of course).

Americans ceased changing beds and crop picking when the Great Society made it more lucrative to live off the government teet.

Not directly from the illegals, of course, as they have no lobby, but from the employers of illegals.

I think a lot of people would pick crops rather than be out of work and collecting unemployment if they could make more by working.

but unemployment insurance predates the Great Society by many years. I remember the loggers collecting "rocking chair money" in winter when dirt roads were closed when I was a kid in the '50s.

I can also remember citizens picking crops in the '60s in my grandfather's orchard, and American families living in labor camps when I was working with migrant workers in the '70s. Not being able to pick crops without illegal labor is a new phenomenon.

Back