When Bush took office gas was 1.46 a gallon

Werbung:
We really don't have to reach to find things that are Bush's fault.

Failure to veto a single spending bill in the first six years of his administration, resulting in record deficits and a debt amounting to $30,000 per person: Bush's fault.

Getting us embroiled in the most costly foreign policy blunder since Vietnam: Mostly Bush's fault, with complicity from the Congress.

Failing to secure the border: Fault of the entire federal bureaucracy.

The high price of gasoline: Not Bush's fault.

The man has only just so much power to mess things up, after all.

It's complicated, but supply and demand are a large part as well as spiralling exploration and production costs. And, contrary to popular belief, they don't set out a barrel of oil and put a price sticker on it--your purchaser is bidding against other countries' purchasers, rather like an auction. Anyhow, read this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121200725158327151.html?mod=hps_us_whats_news

Pidgey

Yes, unprecedented demand is part of the reason, but what sends that bidding up is carefully rigged supply by the cartel.

It just seems a bit odd to me that since global warming propaganda has been pushed into ovedrive the past 3-4 years, oil prices have likewise gone up at incredible rates.

Still...gas is cheaper by volume than, say, beer or whiskey. Good thing our cars don't run on booze.

:rolleyes:

I would never wast good booze to make my car go :)

Yeah, I know--it's easy to think that. Read further:

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/ghawar.htm

Pidgey

According to British Petroleum Statistical Review of World Energy, as of 2007 Saudi Arabia reported it had 264 billion barrels (42×109 m3) of estimated oil reserves, around 21% of conventional world oil reserves.[12] Since Saudi Arabia produced about 3.2 billion barrels (510×106 m3) of oil in 2006, this would give it over 80 years of reserves at current rates of production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves#Saudi_Arabia

Try again.

The Arabs think they control the world with their oil stash but it will eventually bite them in the wazoo. When technology finds better and cleaner methods for energy, the Arabs will be stuck with nuttin'. Instead of buying their table cloth attire from Nieman's, they will be making their clothes from flour sacks.

The Arabs think they control the world with their oil stash but it will eventually bite them in the wazoo. When technology finds better and cleaner methods for energy, the Arabs will be stuck with nuttin'. Instead of buying their table cloth attire from Nieman's, they will be making their clothes from flour sacks.

so long as they have oil, somoene will buy it from them. just the price may drop. But as other nations grow, they will move to oil more...before they move to the new tech in the end.

Oh, yeah, I know damn good and well what they say. You might want to consider what happened to their URR estimate soon after they nationalized. Combine that with their haggling tendencies at the souk and you're going to get a helluva' lot better idea of what's really going on than the Frickinpedia.

Since you're not really oil patch savvy, review oil pricing dynamics and history here (it's a good, short essay):

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

Notice that the Saudis don't actually like the price to get too high because it makes it profitable enough for oil companies to explore and install production equipment elsewhere, which is dangerous for their partial monopoly as a swing producer.

However, Peak Oil isn't as much about running out of the stuff as it is about the geological physics of REMOVING it and the resultant production curve that you get from doing just that. And it IS the simple physics of flowing the oil through the porous rock strata that it's in as it relates to the pressure that it's under. You can think of it rather like a deflating tire--the lower the pressure gets, the slower the air goes out the valve stem. In short, the actual massflow follows a decline with respect to time.

Sure, we've got creative ways of trying to enhance production like pumping separated saltwater brine and natural gases back into a field's wells to help keep the pressure from dropping too much. But that takes energy and the older a field gets, the more it takes. It can take a lot.

And in a lot of fields, you also start getting an increasing fraction of saltwater up with your oil. I was out on an offshore platform (GOM) to support commissioning for the production equipment for a newly-drilled subsea well for Spinnaker/Shell. It cost the better part of $100,000,000 to drill that well. When tested, they felt like it was going to do ~15,000 bbl/day. Within two months it was about 50% water and a few months after that nearly 90%. It never paid for itself by a long shot, and that doesn't even include the work that they did on the well later, trying to boost production. There are quite a few like that.

I was also offshore for Schlumberger (1996, btw) in Nigeria (~40 miles out of Port Harcourt) on a jack-up rig for commissioning the entire thing. The platform was assembled near Houston and took a $1,000,000/day boat ride to Nigeria. Last I heard (~2002), the entire field was petering out rapidly at over 50% brine. We're talking a bunch of wells in that case and they had a high pourpoint besides (paraffin).

These are in no way isolated incidents--the oil patch is chock full of cases like this and it's getting worse. If you think oil is so damn plentiful and cheap to produce, then just what the hell do you think Petrobras is doing off the coast of Brazil, contracting ~80% of the world's total of ~12 deep-water rigs that can handle 20,000 feet of drill pipe in 6,000 feet of water? All for somewhere between 10 and 30 billion barrels of oil (the high estimate is about enough to power the entire world's consumption for only one year, and they rarely make the high estimates). That, my friend, is considered a "major find" these days and that is going to be some very expensive oil to produce, both in capex and opex.

Oh, sure... the oil companies are just rakin' it in and rapin' your @$$, laughing all the way to the bank while the incredible economic damage they're doing is reducing the relative value of their horde faster than they can bring it in.

Yeah, right.

Pidgey

Oh, yeah, I know damn good and well what they say. You might want to consider what happened to their URR estimate soon after they nationalized. Combine that with their haggling tendencies at the souk and you're going to get a helluva' lot better idea of what's really going on than the Frickinpedia.

Uh, wikipedia is just a repository of information. There are a number of citations regarding saudi arabia's proven oil reseves in the cited article, from a number of reputable institutions/firms who job it is to make such estimates.

I really don't like this forum's new tendency not to let you edit a post. It hit me this morning that I'd used the wrong spelling for "hoard" above, just about as fast as I woke up.

I'm sorry, Libsmasher, but virtually anyone can contribute or edit to articles on the Wikipedia. And if somebody writes something in that somebody else doesn't like for whatever reason, they can change it. It's also a very left-leaning source of information and AGW folks appear to prefer the larger estimates of available carbon energy forms so that they can better preach their disastrous world future views. Higher estimates also keep oil companies' stocks up. In short, there's a lot of commercial interest in propping up the estimates.

The idea that our societies, populations, stability and standard of living are tied so lockstep to the availability of energy is really a pretty unwelcome thought to most of us. We want to believe that it's our minds and imagination that can overcome any obstacle, that's just human nature.

Anyhow, when you perform a serious mathematical analysis of the historical trend of world oil production to date, some disturbing numbers begin to surface. They're mostly disturbing as they're compared to the demand curves, because the bulk of the mature fields seem to be declining past peak. The upshot of that is that it is requiring an ever greater portion of the energy obtained to sustain production levels and explore for more as time goes on. The total cost of the oil we consume as a percentage of the world GDP is increasing exponentially now. Our economies and mentalities are simply not currently designed to merely maintain status quo, and certainly not to decline. But, at least in the short term, that is exactly what's going to happen, like it or not.

Pidgey

Werbung:
BUSH, REID, AND PELOSI RECESSION AND INFLATION DARK YEARS AHEAD
In accordance with their grand scheme, the tyrannical Neo-Con/Neo-Lib dominated Bush, Reid, and Pelosi government must now start paying for their Constitutionally illegal Iraq War, and their Paulson subprime mortgage lending and stock trading scam, by printing billions of dollars; thereby subjecting the government betrayed American People to systematic ruinous recession and inflation.

Back