Why did Daylight Savings Time shift from late April to early March?

Little-Acorn

For as long as I can remember, Daylight Savings Time started on the last Sunday in April, and ended on the last Sunday in October. A bike ride I used to participate in (Ironman Century) in Minneapolics, usually ran on the last Sunday in April, with the first heat starting at 7:00 AM, and getting up that extra hour early was especially excruciating. Similarly, Halloween usually occurred right after the time change, making trick-or-treating that much "earlier".

The reasons were pretty clear - especially the reasons for having the change forward, exactly six months after the change back.

DST was an effort to make the sun come up closer to the same time every morning, whether winter or summer. Of course, it can never be exactly the same time. But this helped it be a little less wildly eccentric.

But now we have changed it for some reason. There are now EIGHT months between the change forward (today) and the change back (Mid-November).

What is the rationale, exactly, for having them eight months apart rather than six? I'm pretty baffled at this.

Some people tell me it's for energy saving. But others say that that's a phantom - people in most of the country who have an extra hour between getting home from work, and sundown, tend to run their air conditioners MORE at home for that hour in the summer; while the air condititoners at work don't get reduced for that extra hour. And people who will now get up an hour early, in early March instead of waiting till late April, will be turning on their lights more in that early time while fixing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school etc.

Also, some say that fewer pedestrians get run over in the evening after DST changes in March... but doesn't that simply mean that more will get run over in the morning?

I even heard one rumor (probably not true) that barbecue manufacturers got together to lobby Congress to change the clocks-forward change to March, so that people would have more barbecueing time in the evening and so they would buy more grills, sooner.

I liked it a lot better when we turned the clocks forward in late April, than doing it now in early March. Why did we change? I can't find ANY upside to this new way.

And no, I'd rather not move to Arizona or Indiana where they have never done DST at all.

Werbung:
never made any sense to me. I am ticked off that it eeps changing since my clock radio was programmed to change automatically and it doesn't work right meaning I have to do twice as much to get it right.

Its like this. China has only a Billion people. The U.S Has only over 300 Million people so we gotta get better and make more babies.

China is leading in the World in executions this is Americas 5th in the world in executions
http://ourtimes.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/executions-in-2008/
We gotta get better

China is leading in economicly,,America is in a recession so we gotta get better.

uh steve what does this have to do with daylight savings time ?

Got Proof?

yeah

The Colbert Report is a spin-off from and counterpart to The Daily Show that comments on politics and the media in a similar way. It satirizes conservative personality-driven political pundit programs, particularly Fox News's The O'Reilly Factor.[1][2] The show focuses on a fictional anchorman character named Stephen Colbert, played by his real-life namesake. The character, described by Colbert as a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot", is a caricature of televised political pundits.[3][4]

Daylight savings time is like cutting a piece from one end of a blanket and sewing it on the other end in order to make it longer.

Days are shorter in the winter. That's a fact, and no one is going to change it by tinkering with the clock.

Why don't we just compromise, set the clocks ahead a half hour and then leave them there?

Daylight savings time is like cutting a piece from one end of a blanket and sewing it on the other end in order to make it longer.

Days are shorter in the winter. That's a fact, and no one is going to change it by tinkering with the clock.

Why don't we just compromise, set the clocks ahead a half hour and then leave them there?

agreed.

One of the sillier comparisons I've heard.

in order to make it longer.
You must have an exceptionally condescending view of people, to think that ANY of them believe this. My sympathies.

It's more like removing the asphalt from one end of a country road and laying it at the other, so people have to drive in the dirt at the beginning but have a smooth ride the rest of the way, instead of having a smooth ride all the way except for hitting bumpy parts at the end.

Back to the subject:
PLC1's strange tirades aside, the purpose of DST is to have clocks showing closer to the same time when the sun comes up, winter or summer, while having the wide variation in time occur at sundown. Sunrise times are never exactly the same, obviously, but DST puts them closer to the same ballpark. This is one of the reasons why the turn-clocks-forward date and the turn-clocks-back date, should be exactly six months apart, not 8 and 4 as they now are.

I'd rather have DST than not have it; and I'd rather it create two equal 6-month period rather than an 8 and 4.

Werbung:
Back