Why Do People Believe in God?

ANewStart

Why do people believe in God? Is it because of what they grew up believing in or do they just want to believe in a higher power?

Werbung:
Different reasons for everyone.

I grew up with people who did not believe in anything but I can not remember a time I didnt believe in a higher power. They all still shake their heads and wonder where I went wrong

Human beings have believed in gods ever since there have been humans.

Why, indeed?

Perhaps because the world is an orderly place, when you analyze it, and order comes from intelligence. Since man didn't create the world, some higher intelligence must have done it.

Even primitive man saw order in the universe, along with a whole lot of mysteries. Now that we have gained more understanding of how nature works, we know that there is even more order and more mysteries than we could have imagined before modern science.

I think that's why people believe in god.

I don't really know what God is, and don't know what believing in Him means. When you think of the origin of the universe with all the complexities of quantum mechanics, relativity, quarks, galaxies, and planets, all starting with a big bang, that is something wondrous indeed. To consider that an intelligent being started the universe does not inspire a lot of discussion for me because it is too remote and abstract to think about. There is no basis for any further thought. Studying physics becomes the only meaningful liturgy.

However, to think that the same entity that brought the universe into being would micromanage our lives and care about prayer and adoration is beyond me. To me, God, the originator of the universe, and God, the entity we pray to, are disjoint, and to unite the two concepts requires a real leap of faith, so to speak.

If you can think of a specific time in your life where something happend that you cannot explain. Maybe a time when you figured you would possibly
die in a circumstace that you thought impossible. You look at this earth
and wonder how did I get here. The explanations of all creation. How did it get here. Even Darwin became a christian before he died. I`m not trying to shove any of this down any ones throat, but I believe there is a higher power.
When I pray, it definitly helps me through the day. Now some might say that I`m looking for a crutch. No. God has done a lot in my life and people who do not believe, I think they are convicted. Really Investigate it, you might like it.

Even Darwin became a christian before he died.

That's not too suprising. There really is no conflict between Darwinsim and Christianity anyway, just between some people's interpretation of the Bible and evolution. In fact, the more one studies nature, the more obvious it becomes that it was created by a higher power.

Darwin never went out of his way to denounce Christianity, its just that his discovery challenged it and the Christians of the day were not very good about it all.

That's not too suprising. There really is no conflict between Darwinsim and Christianity anyway, just between some people's interpretation of the Bible and evolution. In fact, the more one studies nature, the more obvious it becomes that it was created by a higher power.
That is strange...the more I have studied nature, the more obvious to me that it was not created by a "higher power", but living things evolved via a natural evolutionary process. Or, did you mean that in your opionion...?

That is strange...the more I have studied nature, the more obvious to me that it was not created by a "higher power", but living things evolved via a natural evolutionary process. Or, did you mean that in your opionion...?

In my observation, order rarely or never comes out of anything other than intelligent guidance. Chaos results from a lack of guidance, but order is created. Nature is orderly.

And, that's my opinion, since such a thing as a creator can't be proven, along with the rationale for my opinion.

just the same the last pope came to belive in Evolution , so its a moot point.

just the same the last pope came to belive in Evolution , so its a moot point.

How so? I could have given the same response to your post as the one you were responding to.

There still is no conflict, so the Pope can "believe in" evolution, ie believe that modern science is credible, and Darwin can believe in Christianity. Why not?

Why do people believe in God? Is it because of what they grew up believing in or do they just want to believe in a higher power?

I grew up in a home where my parents were apathetic toward God. Before I was born they attended church but they moved away from that and now my father does not believe in God. It is fair to say that they did not influence me to believe in God and if anything influenced me to disbelieve.

I became an atheist in my late teens and remained an active and educated one for years.

At some point the extent of my knowledge of atheism became deep enough that I could see not only it's strong points but it's weak points too.

When I investigated Christianity with the same level of depth I had to conclude that it was the better and more well thought out and supported point of view.

People believe in god for one or more of the following reasons

1) They want to believe that there is life after death.
2) They want 'easy' answers to hard questions
3) They are speciesist and think that there is something special about humans above and beyond our phyiscal distinguishing features
4) They have superstition rammed down their throat from an early age.

There is not a shred of evidence for the existence of god and so it is obviously very bizarre that people still cling on to this claptrap.

That just shows you how vulnerable people are to messaging that exploits 1, 2 and 3.

Usually by the mechanism of 4.

And that is why the lower the eductaional standards, in general, the higher the acceptance of religion.

3) They are speciesist and think that there is something special about humans above and beyond our phyiscal distinguishing features

There is not a shred of evidence for the existence of god and so it is obviously very bizarre that people still cling on to this claptrap.

That just shows you how vulnerable people are to messaging that exploits 1, 2 and 3.

And that is why the lower the eductaional standards, in general, the higher the acceptance of religion.

Or, maybe they see that the universe is orderly, and understand that order is the product of intelligence.

Highly educated people believe in god, also.

Werbung:

The thread topic asks WHY people believe in god, not why people believe in the after life. Whatever connection between god and the after life your mind appears to conjure, it DOES NOT answer WHY people believe.

Duh?

Same thing. It would have been more logical to say because they want to believe in god rather than because they want to believe in something else.

Duh?

3) They are speciesist and think that there is something special about
humans above and beyond our phyiscal distinguishing features

Sigh. Do you even understand what the hell you're talking about????

And you attempt to vary the above stupid answers by adding a coersive aspect to belief.

What a moron!

Back