Why in the world whould *insurance* companies have to pay for pre-existing conditions?

Little-Acorn

Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more).

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.

Werbung:
*Ring-Ring*
Insurance Agent: Acme Homeowners insurance, how many I help you?
Customer: Do you offer any policies that cover house fires?
Insurance Agent: Yes we do.
Customer: Great! Sign me up.
Insurance Agent: Sure thing, I just need some information...
Customer: Can you hurry this along? My house is on fire and I really need that insurance money as quickly as possible.
*Click*

Why in the world whould *insurance* companies have to pay for pre-existing conditions?

And the answer is because they are evil profit motivated 1%ers. They have the money too. Plus it is so unfair that people with pre-existing conditions can't get insurance....So there...

Since we have lost most of our lefties, I shall try to state their....position.

Werbung:
The reason that have to cover pre-existing is that that is a way to open the gate to a national plan.

Yes...once they bankrupt the private insurance industry with all their rules and regulations expanding coverage, the only solution in their scheming little minds is socialized medicine and the expansion of the centralized state's power.

Back