Why the US was undefended on 9/11

Try re-reading this little blurb....and, then try to convince me you (actually) composed the opening-paragraph. (Still struggling with that ol' to..too..two issue?

:rolleyes:

Proofreading the first one means I did not write it somehow? Whatever you say.

Werbung:
Hi mate....what are you trying to compare? Nuclear deterence based on cold war thinking versus the 9/11 attack or just the number of weapons during the 60s versus the number of weapons in the ought 20s?

If its numbers of weapons then yes the US has 10% of what it had during the height of the cold war but the significance is no less - its just the the threat has changed.

If you're just looking at 9/11 and terrorism well I guess the hi-jacking is a function of airline security, internal and overseas intelligence and law and order failures ?

You've brough a lot to the table mate! :)

I mostly wrote it as a response to whatever his name that pollutes the thread ranting about 9/11 being a conspiracy because the US could not protect its own HQ.

That said, I think the way we viewed defense in general, which spawned from the Cold War deterrence logic played a big role in the inability of the US to react after realizing that it was being attacked. Hence why you have 1/4 of the country protected by 2 unarmed fighters.

The point of arms control however is important too, and should be closely examined as we run off to Geneva to cut new deals.

Werbung:
Gimme a break!!

It was a battle of EGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You missed the entire point. Not surprising. The Bush administration withdrew from the ABM treaty as a fundamental policy objective. That showed a clear transition from the "old think" to the "new think." However shifting policy does not translate into a revamped line of thinking in the United States about deterrence, however it is occurring slowly. You will notice that Obama is continuing missile defense in some regard, when the "old think" was that defensive weapons were destabilizing.

Back