Why would anyone want to visit North Korea?

samsara15

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3472...th-korea-sentences-us-tourist-15-years-prison

Or Iran, for that matter?

It's so easy to run afoul of their paranoic, insane governments, and then to wind up in their harsh prisons for a long time. Like this unfortunate student.

I suppose one might simply be curious, and want to see first hand what it's really like in Iran or North Korea, but it's a risky sort of curiosity.

Werbung:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3472...th-korea-sentences-us-tourist-15-years-prison

Or Iran, for that matter?

It's so easy to run afoul of their paranoic, insane governments, and then to wind up in their harsh prisons for a long time. Like this unfortunate student.

I suppose one might simply be curious, and want to see first hand what it's really like in Iran or North Korea, but it's a risky sort of curiosity.
Really ! And UVA kids are supposed to be quite intellegent. The ones I know actually are.

I have an Irish friend who visited back in the 2000s. However, it's probably vastly safer for him, as they want to use Americans as bargaining chips. Who knows? Maybe the North Koreans got the UVA student drunk to set him up.

Actually, I'm amazed he got into North Korea anyway. It was true during the Clinton years, it was easier for Americans to travel in NK, however, after W. Bush there hasn't been any warming trend.

I would like to visit North Korea.
I would follow all of their rules but I just really want to see for myself what the situation is.
I know we'd only get shown the best bits, but there are bound to be slip ups that shows the real deal.

Morbid curiosity maybe? It would be a severe risk to subject yourself to the control of tyranny like that however.

There really is no part of the world I wouldn't love to see. However, regard for my own personal safety has kept me from SOME countries. North Korea would be one of them. I will say that I have a pretty vast knowledge of other cultures and what it is like to live in certain places, but I would say that my knowledge of every day life for North Koreans is non-existent. Does anyone know anyone that hails from there originally?

I actually think it looks incredibly beautiful there - I've seen landscape shots and there are parts of the country that look just stunning! In saying that though I think the cases recently of people being arrested under suspicion of being spies really does throw me off from ever wanting to go there!

I do find the history side of things there fascinating, but I don't think for my own safety it's somewhere I would be too keen on traveling to.

Werbung:
I have a friend that visited a few years ago. He brought me back some North Korean pottery pieces as well as some propaganda postcards. It was interesting, he stayed with us before heading over and apparently when you go you need to bring crisp, ideally new, American $1 bills. I felt fairly absurd walking over to the bank and telling them I needed $400 in $1's haha.

I would not go there.

Back