Willie Mays cried over Obama's election

Popeye

I thought this was a great story that came out of the All Star break..The great Hall of Famer Mays got to fly on Air Force One and discuss baseball and politics during which he revealed the emotion he felt when Obama was elected..

Willie Mays says he was so proud the night Barack Obama was elected president that he "cried for most of the night."

The 78-year-old Hall of Fame center fielder spoke with reporters as he flew with Obama from Michigan to St. Louis for Tuesday night's All-Star game. Obama was throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.

Mays, who played most of his career with the Giants, said he met Obama in Chicago on election night in November. He said he reminded Obama that he had dreamed about the day when someone of their race would be elected president.

Mays and many others began playing pro baseball when segregation was still widespread.

Filled with pride on the night of a historic election that made Obama the nation's first black president, Mays said he stayed up until 7 or 8 o'clock the next morning.

"I reminded him that I cried for most of the night in Chicago," said Mays, still emotional about that night eight months ago.

"So that tells me all the things I went through, it was for good things," said Mays, who wore an orange-trimmed, black Giants baseball cap with his suit. "So I'm just proud of him, you know. He may be proud of something else. But I'm proud of him, what he stands for."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/15/SPA018OMBV.DTL&feed=rss.sports

sp-all-star15_ma_0500377714.jpg

Werbung:
Nothing screams progressive like identity politics, where the color of a mans skin is more important than the content of his character.

Nothing screams progressive like identity politics, where the color of a mans skin is more important than the content of his character.

Nothing screams "wingnut" more than attacking a 78 year old man who's not running for anything.

Too bad Mays isn't white enough for you..

I saw Jesse Jackson cry too and that is after he wanted to cut off what little balls obama has. I think hillary had to loan him one of hers :)

Is this guy a sports star?

Willie Mays is one of the most famous baseball players who has ever lived. Here he is making his memorable catch in the 1954 World Series..

Willie Mays is one of the most famous baseball players who has ever lived. Here he is making his memorable catch in the 1954 World Series..

Oh, I guess I dont know much about sports. The name I had heard before but was not sure if he was foot ball or basket ball. Haha he is baseball :)

I am glad he was happy about obama, Lord knows someone needs to be happy about it.

Is he really the most famous? Babe Ruth got a candy bar named after him and I have seen him brought up in many movies, Even I know who Babe Ruth is.

Oh, I guess I dont know much about sports. The name I had heard before but was not sure if he was foot ball or basket ball. Haha he is baseball :)

I am glad he was happy about obama, Lord knows someone needs to be happy about it.

Is he really the most famous? Babe Ruth got a candy bar named after him and I have seen him brought up in many movies, Even I know who Babe Ruth is.

Gee Pandora, guess I have to give you an F in sports.

BTW, I didn't say Mays was the "most famous" I said he was "one of the most famous"..which he is. Some still consider him the best all around player in history, certainly he's in everybody's top ten. Oh and he's Barry Bonds' godfather.

Gee Pandora, guess I have to give you an F in sports.

BTW, I didn't say Mays was the "most famous" I said he was "one of the most famous"..which he is. Some still consider him the best all around player in history, certainly he's in everybody's top ten. Oh and he's Barry Bonds' godfather.

Barry Bond does drugs to make him better and lies about it ( not that I care )

an F? why an F, I knew who Babe Ruth was and I knew that Barry Bonds does drugs to play better :)

I really do not like sports. The closest I got to being interested in sports was reading your fights with Libsmasher over the Olympics :)

You miss Libsmasher I know it :)

What was that wonderful opinion that you just expressed a couple of topics back...Oh, ya, now I remember:

"your thoughts on this topic is about as helpful as tits on a bull" :eek:

Gee, one would have to wonder about the mental processes that it would take to belittle/ridicule/poke fun/make this wonderful heart felt story about 'RACE'...YET here you are doing just that.

You are one sick twisted mental midget and if my opinion of you is the mark of your I.Q. then you are truly a waste of brain matter!!!

Popeye Said: Nothing screams "wingnut" more than attacking a 78 year old man who's not running for anything.

Too bad you brought all of us this wonderful heart warming story and now it's been violated by two of this forums most notorious pompous arsed whiners about being 'NICE/POLITE/FRIENDLY/AND NOT BEING RUDE TO EACH OTHER' :mad:
JEEZ LOUISE, I can't stand HYPOCRITES and this just proves the way in which they tag team each other for lack of anything important to discuss!!!
BrainintheBox' said: I saw Jesse Jackson cry too and that is after he wanted to cut off what little balls obama has. I think hillary had to loan him one of hers :)

SHAME ON YOU 'Pandora/BIB' and 'GENSeneca'...shame be your wardrobe and ignorance your sword...;)

What was that wonderful opinion that you just expressed a couple of topics back...Oh, ya, now I remember:

"your thoughts on this topic is about as helpful as tits on a bull" :eek:

Gee, one would have to wonder about the mental processes that it would take to belittle/ridicule/poke fun/make this wonderful heart felt story about 'RACE'...YET here you are doing just that.

You are one sick twisted mental midget and if my opinion of you is the mark of your I.Q. then you are truly a waste of brain matter!!!

Too bad you brought all of us this wonderful heart warming story and now it's been violated by two of this forums most notorious pompous arsed whiners about being 'NICE/POLITE/FRIENDLY/AND NOT BEING RUDE TO EACH OTHER' :mad:
JEEZ LOUISE, I can't stand HYPOCRITES and this just proves the way in which they tag team each other for lack of anything important to discuss!!!

SHAME ON YOU 'Pandora/BIB' and 'GENSeneca'...shame be your wardrobe and ignorance your sword...;)

Shame on me? I am not the one who wanted to cut his frakin nards off, Jesse Jackson is. Heck I dont even think he has any to cut off in the first place.

and I am happy for the baseball guy who was happy to get obama, I am glad there are people who are happy to make up for the many of us who are not happy.

Its getting harder to be civil with you

Nothing screams "wingnut" more than attacking a 78 year old man who's not running for anything.

MLK must have been a racist too because I was just agreeing with him that we should be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin.

If anyone wants to hear some racist comments, all they have to do is mention a black conservative and you'll begin spewing racial epithets faster than Mays could round the bases.

You are one sick twisted mental midget
ASPCA4EVER can only hope to improve.
The Forum Rules (Three simple rules):

1. No personal attacks.
----------------------------------------
Treat others as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite and respect our intention to create a friendly and inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome to participate. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We hope to see people conduct debates in a civilized manner.
----------------------------------------
Anyone not following the rules will be warned, suspended, or banned.

....Unless of course you're attacking a "right winger", then the Mods will give you a pass.

MLK must have been a racist too because I was just agreeing with him that we should be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin.

If anyone wants to hear some racist comments, all they have to do is mention a black conservative and you'll begin spewing racial epithets faster than Mays could round the bases.

Yeah, I can tell you're a big admirer of MLK, LOL.. the only black men you've ever spoken highly of are the ones who pretend they're white.....

In fact, didn't you claim MLK was a communist a few months back or do I have you confused with one of your wingnut Stormfront frequenting buddies?

Yeah, I can tell you're a big admirer of MLK, LOL.. the only black men you've ever spoken highly of are the ones who pretend they're white.....
I am a great admirer of the late Dr. King. He understood that racial equality was just that, equality. In your progressive world of next Tuesday, equality is continuing the proud Democrat tradition of discriminating based on race.

In fact, didn't you claim MLK was a communist

MLK was a Republican.

Democrats, still discriminating based on race.

Werbung:
Back