World Series Prediction

Bay's numbers are good, but he doesn't strike fear in the opposition like Manny did.

No, but ask any pitcher who they'd rather face right now: Manny Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, or Dustin Pedroia? My money is on most choosing Manny.

They HAVE good power...the only real holes are at shortstop (I see Lowrie filling that nicely in about a year) and at catcher. Varitek's hitting has nose-dived...he's wearing down badly (he's a very, very worn 36) at the plate. However, they NEED to re-sign him, I do not care if he hits .180 next year. First, there really isn't anyone else out there (except an aging, wearing-out Pudge Rodriguez, who isn't one-tenth the defensicve player 'Tek is), and second, they have lots of young pitchers who NEED his expertise. Case in point: Papelbon hasn't shaken him off since LAST SPRING. He trusts Variten that much. He should be platooned (reality check: Josh Beckett can call his own game), catching maybe three games in five (of course, Cash catches Wakefield).

Ramirez is the best pure hitter in baseball.

5 years ago, maybe. Not anymore...he HAS lost batspeed, and possibly some of his keen eyesight. (He's 37, IIRC.)

Remember Ortiz was just a journeyman player until he came to Boston and started hitting in front of Manny.

And having healthy knees due to not playing first base on the Metrodome's turf anymore.

Werbung:
No, but ask any pitcher who they'd rather face right now: Manny Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, or Dustin Pedroia? My money is on most choosing Manny.
I'd have to disagree, I like Youkilis, I like Pedroia but even a 37 year old Manny is more of a threat to change a game with one swing. The only hitters I'd put in his category are Pujols and maybe Alex Rodriquez, but he never hits in the clutch. And I still maintain that a lot of Ortiz's struggles have been do to the fact that he no longer has the protection of Ramirez hitting behind him. Ortiz is getting pitched around, seeing fewer fast balls..he's getting frustrated and it shows.

They HAVE good power...the only real holes are at shortstop (I see Lowrie filling that nicely in about a year) and at catcher. Varitek's hitting has nose-dived...he's wearing down badly (he's a very, very worn 36) at the plate. However, they NEED to re-sign him, I do not care if he hits .180 next year. First, there really isn't anyone else out there (except an aging, wearing-out Pudge Rodriguez, who isn't one-tenth the defensicve player 'Tek is), and second, they have lots of young pitchers who NEED his expertise. Case in point: Papelbon hasn't shaken him off since LAST SPRING. He trusts Variten that much. He should be platooned (reality check: Josh Beckett can call his own game), catching maybe three games in five (of course, Cash catches Wakefield).

They have decent power, the loss of Mike Lowell has really hurt..didn't he just sign a new contract in the off season? I agree with keeping Varitek, he's still the heart and soul of that team. Who knows, he might have rebirth at the plate next year. I still think they could use another big time power hitter..I understand Gary Sheffield will be a free agent..imagine him hitting next to Ortiz.

As I write this it's already 5-0..looks like this will be over tonight. The Sox need to address what went wrong.

It is certainly one hell of a game going on right now in Boston.

I'd like to able to say it was the greatest comeback I've ever seen but to be truthful I had turned it off. The Rays still should win this thing but last night is one for the history books.

Werbung:
If Francona starts Beckett tonight, it's over. He should be fired on the spot (as in, within thirty seconds after announcing it), not permitted to board the team bus out of the Trop, and should not be allowed on the team flight to Boston. Beckett is hurt. He CANNOT pitch effectively. They NEED to start Lester tonight.

Back