Yet another abuse made possible by an unconstitutional law.

PLC1

Staff member
Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

Officials in Tenaha, situated along a heavily traveled highway connecting Houston with popular gambling destinations in Louisiana, say they are engaged in a battle against drug trafficking and call the search-and-seizure practice a legitimate use of the state's asset-forfeiture law.

The Constitution clearly prohibits the forfeiture to government of life, liberty, or property without due process, yet the asset forfeiture laws prescribe that very thing. Predictably, there are abuses, citizens lose their property, and law enforcement becomes no different from highway robbers.

When will someone challenge this type of thing in the Supreme Court? It's high time the Constitution was put back in place as the cornerstone of our liberty, and the government quit using excuses like the so called "war on drugs" to circumvent it.

Werbung:
The Constitution clearly prohibits the forfeiture to government of life, liberty, or property without due process, yet the asset forfeiture laws prescribe that very thing. Predictably, there are abuses, citizens lose their property, and law enforcement becomes no different from highway robbers.

When will someone challenge this type of thing in the Supreme Court? It's high time the Constitution was put back in place as the cornerstone of our liberty, and the government quit using excuses like the so called "war on drugs" to circumvent it.
That's one o' the perks of tagging any movement a "war"; i.e. if you're a critic, you're un-American.

The DEA is no different from the Taliban, and asset-forfeiture is their version of Sharia law; U.S.-style. Somehow, the DEA has the Divine Right to do whatever they damned-well-please. They've also got a Divine Right to job-security.....and, anyone who complains about either (obviously) has something-to-hide (much like the good ol' McCarthy Years), or....at the very-least....hate The Children. :rolleyes:

Werbung:
sounds like texas to me......

I think it was new york that was saying they could take your car if pulled over for a DWI...even if you where found not guilty later, they keep car.

It isn't just happening in Texas, it's all over.

If this isn't a clear violation of the fourth and fifth amendments, I don't know what is.

Back