Your thoughts on the Saddleback Forum Q and A

Pandora

I really liked this style format.

Each man got the same exact questions and time to reply without knowing what the other had said.

the questions were all good and there was no desire to try and put either in a corner.

Hopefully by tomorrow the whole Q and A will be posted on line. but so far did anyone see it, did you like it, who won?

I cant say who won because I have not seen it all.

My grandmother who is a huge obama bot watched the whole thing and thought McCain did better (at least she liked his answers better)

I would love to hear what you all are thinking about it.

Werbung:
Well I watched the whole thing. It was very good. I do not see how anyone could say it was unfair or a set up. The pastor asking the questions is a friend to both McCain and Obama. They were both asked the same questions and you really got a feel for the difference between them.

I still don’t have a print out of the exact questions; it will be much nicer to view the answers side by side.

For now what comes to mind was the question

Who were the three wisest people you know?

Obama’s answers were his wife Michelle, his grandmother and Ted Kennedy. OK great we are in trouble if Michelle his bell and Ted are the wisest people he knows. I figure he threw grandma in to make up for tossing her under the bus earlier this year.

McCain said General David Petraeus, The second person I can’t remember and the third was the person who invented eBay

The other question that stuck out was

Does evil exist and if it does what should be done about it?

Ignore it, negotiate with it, contain it, or defeat it

Obama really ummed and ummmed his way through that one and reminded us its in our own back yard and we are imperfect and make mistakes and sometimes we have to look at our self… exc. Exc. Can’t have a question about evil without dragging your country into it! If he had not done that, I would have to say that is not the senator Obama I knew :) I honestly do not know where his final stand was on that, if anyone can give me what his answer was I would like that. Did he finally say h e would ignore it, negotiate with it, contain it or defeat it? I really don’t know what finally settled on.

McCain said defeat it, then went on to explain real evil with confidence.

I am not a big McCain fan, but I have to say he impressed me tonight.

I loved McCain’s answers on the Supreme Court and hated Obama’s

I loved McCain’s answers on abortion and laughed literally out loud at Obama’s except the part that he does sound like he is willing to do something to help make abortion happen less, though he gave no specifics on it, I think it was just words, but I would rather be wrong and he actually meant that small gesture. But since Obama said the decision on life was “above his pay grade” Obama’s words, not mine! I guess he won’t be making any major calls on that one anytime soon.

I felt like McCain was clear with what he believed and you kind of had to wonder exactly what Obama believed when he was done talking, he skirted more than I think he should have been allowed.

One question was when you have ever crossed party lines for the betterment of your country. Obama did the umm umm thing then he named a bill he worked on with McCain. But from how I understand it, he backed out of that bill at the last minute and went along party lines, so his only answer to how he can reach out to the other side was a time he actually caved and ran back to the party.

McCain of course had a list longer than Texas, and tried to laugh it off. The best example he had was something that happened when he was a young Senator under Reagan. It was compelling. I noticed though he did bring up a lot of times he broke party lines, he did not use amnesty as an example :)

The big thing people will talk about is this

For Obama it was saying that knowing when life starts was above his pay grade, he was being very serious.

And for McCain it was a 5 million dollar comment. He was joking, he said he was joking and then said this is what they will put on the news. He went on to say 3 times, now seriously now seriously and then gave a real answer to the question of what is rich.

Other than those two small things both did very well. I think if someone were going to be fair they would have to say McCain was clearer on what he was saying, I can not think of anyplace he skirted the question, where Obama did often. But Obama spoke well, there were not to many ummm ummm’s he looked well rested and the people applauded often for him, so he seemed to be well liked.

McCain won hands down. Obama was in hyper-evasion drive. :D

Tell me what you think about the line Obama said when asked when does life begin

and he replied that was above his pay grade to know such things

that was by far the most stupid answer for anyone who wants to run for president.

to think this man has voting power over this issue and he thinks knowing when life happens is above his pay grade makes me sad.

he could have at least said when they start kindergarten

Tell me what you think about the line Obama said when asked when does life begin

and he replied that was above his pay grade to know such things

that was by far the most stupid answer for anyone who wants to run for president.

to think this man has voting power over this issue and he thinks knowing when life happens is above his pay grade makes me sad.

he could have at least said when they start kindergarten

I answered in the other thread.

One of the most hilarious Obamassininities, and LOADED with irony, was when he said he wouldn't have nominated Clarence Thomas to the supreme court because he (---hold onto your sides:D----) "wasn't qualified"! YAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HEE HEE HAR HAR! :) :D :p

I think that while McCain won it, it was to be expected. Obama is not going to carry much evangelical support to begin with.

I think McCain did more than win. After watching his answers, and how quickly he answered them without thought of what is politically correct.

I left the room actually liking the man, and I had not going into it. I have been very worried about judges he might appoint till I heard his answers on that question.

But I will hold my breath till he picks a VP. If he picks a liberal pro abortion VP then I will not feel confidant on his answers.

Obama’s answers scared me to death. His reasoning for not liking Clarence Thomas was laughable, he didn’t have the needed experience and qualifications blah blah, as if that is not the pot calling the kettle black. What a moron!

McCain did better than expected... although expectations in any speaking event for him are rather low. He tended to go away from the exact questions asked and talk about his time in captivity but the stories were interesting. I think he started out looking very nervous but settled in after a story or two. He kept the focus loss down. There were only a couple times when I said... what the hell's he talking about. Played to the crowd (church group) but I thought his almost looking for a fight, any fight quick answers on any kind of conflict definitely hurt him with Independents and went completely against his "I'm not like Bush" propaganda. In fact on the foreign affair questions I think he came off to the Right of even Bush. But like I said he held his own in his own way I guess.

That said I agree with BigRob saying that wasn't exactly Senator Obama's highest percentage audience. Although I will say I thought the moderator was great. He was very fair and equal. Considering the venue I'd say Senator Obama came off as relaxed & did well. There are higher expectations of him and he seemed to be well received. He did give longer more nuanced big picture answers... some like those, some don't. I felt Senator Obama was more focused on connecting with Independents than he was his base or the evangelical community... although he did talk quite a bit about faith.

All in all I saw this as a pretty softball preliminary round where either side could feel good about the outcome.

Werbung:
McCain did better than expected... although expectations in any speaking event for him are rather low. He tended to go away from the exact questions asked and talk about his time in captivity but the stories were interesting. I think he started out looking very nervous but settled in after a story or two. He kept the focus loss down. There were only a couple times when I said... what the hell's he talking about. Played to the crowd (church group) but I thought his almost looking for a fight, any fight quick answers on any kind of conflict definitely hurt him with Independents and went completely against his "I'm not like Bush" propaganda. In fact on the foreign affair questions I think he came off to the Right of even Bush. But like I said he held his own in his own way I guess.

That said I agree with BigRob saying that wasn't exactly Senator Obama's highest percentage audience. Although I will say I thought the moderator was great. He was very fair and equal. Considering the venue I'd say Senator Obama came off as relaxed & did well. There are higher expectations of him and he seemed to be well received. He did give longer more nuanced big picture answers... some like those, some don't. I felt Senator Obama was more focused on connecting with Independents than he was his base or the evangelical community... although he did talk quite a bit about faith.

All in all I saw this as a pretty softball preliminary round where either side could feel good about the outcome.

Top Gun that was by far what I would call the most fair and ballanced post you ever posted. I agree with I think everything you said except the last part, did you think the forum its self was good or bad ? I couldnt tell by your last statement.

I think its the best ever. Each guy got the same questions but they didnt have to do tit for tat, they just said what they felt.

I wish at least one more forum was like this and the questions were done by someone who is not bias, that worked well for this forum and it could again, but maybe asking differnt questions. There were a lot of faith questions here, and that is good to know but I think more presidential questions would be good.

Back