14% of Americans are "poor"... but how "poor" is that?

Little-Acorn

The Census Bureau reported today that 14.3% of Americans are "poor". This brings up visions of people hungry, shivering, homeless, wearing tattered clothes, suffering from afflictions without medical care, etc.

But how true is that vision?

An interesting report on that question, came out three years ago.

------------------------------------

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...or-examining-the-plague-of-poverty-in-america

How Poor Are America's Poor?
Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

Published on August 27, 2007 by Robert Rector

Poverty is an important and emotional issue. Last year, the Census Bureau released its annual report on poverty in the United States declaring that there were 37 million poor persons living in this country in 2005, roughly the same number as in the preceding years.[4] According to the Census report, 12.6 percent of Americans were poor in 2005; this number has varied from 11.3 percent to 15.1 percent of the population over the past 20 years.[5]

To understand poverty in America, it is important to look behind these numbers-to look at the actual living conditions of the individuals the government deems to be poor. For most Americans, the word "poverty" suggests destitution: an inability to provide a family with nutritious food, clothing, and reasonable shelter. But only a small number of the 37 million persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description.

* Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

* Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

* Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

* Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

* Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

* Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

* Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

* As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.

Overall, the typical American defined as poor by the government has a car, air conditioning, a refrigerator, a stove, a clothes washer and dryer, and a microwave. He has two color televisions, cable or satellite TV reception, a VCR or DVD player, and a stereo. He is able to obtain medical care. His home is in good repair and is not overcrowded. By his own report, his family is not hungry and he had sufficient funds in the past year to meet his family's essential needs. While this individual's life is not opulent, it is equally far from the popular images of dire poverty conveyed by the press, liberal activists, and politicians.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
"The Census Bureau reported today that 14.3% of Americans are "poor". This brings up visions of people hungry, shivering, homeless, wearing tattered clothes, suffering from afflictions without medical care, etc."

"But how true is that vision?"

It's true. I know from first-hand experience:

Homeless%20Dinner.jpg

Homeless%20Family.jpg

01-19-07-HomelessShelter2.jpg

us_homeless_mothers.jpe

If you don't believe the numbers, I suggest you visit a homeless shelter in your area. Louisville alone has about 8,000 homeless, and of those, only about 700 are able to obtain food and lodging on any one particular day. I know. I lived in one for about 3 months.

"The Census Bureau reported today that 14.3% of Americans are "poor". This brings up visions of people hungry, shivering, homeless, wearing tattered clothes, suffering from afflictions without medical care, etc."

"But how true is that vision?"

It's true. I know from first-hand experience:
14.3% of Americans are hungry, shivering, homeless, wearing tattered clothes, and suffering from afflictions without medical care?

So, you're saying that the article is groundless, completely wrong?

Its funny, Acorn never gets mad at how rich the rich are, how many billions they may have...but I will be damned if the poor are not poor enough for his/her standards....

Actually whats funny is how libs continue to promote the war on poverty even after TRILLIONS of dollars have been transferred to the poor and their ranks have increased instead of decreased.

As slavery, segregation, and racism were promoted by Dems against African Americans for decades, welfare promoted by Dems has enslaved the poor for decades.

And, anyone who points out the failure of the welfare state is a hater, racist, lover of the rich, and must be condemned. Libs know well the debating tactics used by the Soviets, Marxists, Alinsky, and Obama.

After visiting a government housing project in the Bronx, P.J. O’Rourke commented that he himself had grown up in a poor home with a single working mother, among children who wore patched, faded, but neat clothes inherited from older siblings or neighbors. Most of them turned out well and succeeded in life. That was poverty, he writes. But this — $200 sneakers, gold chains, used condoms and needles in a dirty, urine-soaked stairwell with broken windows — this is not poverty; this is “something else.”
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/joyriding-the-gravy-train-of-economic-inequality/2/

no I now you love them, so much that you don't care if they steal billions, don't pay there taxes, or anything. They are your gods...but Damn them poor people suck, got to hate them....

Poor liberals, SOOO driven by hate and rage.

Far easier, I guess, than being driven by common sense.

Or, God forbid, proving any of the accusations you hurl so broadly at everyone. :rolleyes:

Poor liberals, SOOO driven by hate and rage.

Far easier, I guess, than being driven by common sense.

Or, God forbid, proving any of the accusations you hurl so broadly at everyone. :rolleyes:

your one to talk about not being able to back anything up...I recall asking you the same thing for a month..and you never once backing it up, did it in like 15 threads...you said nothing...you never back anything up, you talk and talk..thats about it..

no I now you love them, so much that you don't care if they steal billions, don't pay there taxes, or anything. They are your gods...but Damn them poor people suck, got to hate them....

"Steal billions".... "don't pay their taxes"....

What are you talking about?

"Steal billions".... "don't pay their taxes"....

What are you talking about?

Im just using random hyperbole :) since like trying to play off that we don't have poor people and that the situation with rising poor people is not worth anything...since they may or may not have a vcr ( of course I had a tv when I was like 7 that I got with my own money....and lets just say it was not alot of money...but electronics that are old , are easy to get cheap..so even if your poor sure you can get them,,,does not make you less poor.)

And yes there are Rich who do do steal billions, and don't pay there taxes...just like there are some who don't and do pay theres....

your one to talk about not being able to back anything up...I recall asking you the same thing for a month..and you never once backing it up, did it in like 15 threads...you said nothing...you never back anything up, you talk and talk..thats about it..

We didn't check the footnotes in the article linked in the OP, did we......? :D

Im just using random hyperbole :)

Translation: He's making it up.

He doesn't know of any actual examples of "the rich stealing billions", but he figures he can make the accusation anyway and get someone to believe him, so he can whip up (unjustified) anger against them and get the government to steal all their stuff.

This tactic has worked for leftists for decades, back to Adolf Hitler and before. Why shouldn't POS try it too? Easy money!

Werbung:
14.3% of Americans are hungry, shivering, homeless, wearing tattered clothes, and suffering from afflictions without medical care?

So, you're saying that the article is groundless, completely wrong?

According to the census bureau, and they should know, 14.3% live in poverty, most without adequate nutrition, clothing, shelter, and medical care. I've seen it firsthand.

Back