4 WA police murdered: Should the 2nd Amendment be repealed?

Little-Acorn

Recently four police officers of the state of Washington were gunned down in a coffee shop, by a person who apparently entered the shop for the purpose of deliberately targeting those officers. Since this is a politics-discussion forum, I guess we should ask a political question related to this tragedy, since some people will (as usual) start insisting we need more gun restrictions to keep this from happening.

The 2nd amendment says that since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted. Though it is frequently ignored by lawmakers who want to curtail gun rights, it is nonetheless still on the books, and stands in the way of anyone wanting to create new government regulations against citizens owning or carrying guns.

Clearly, since criminals will find ways to get guns despite all laws, the only way gun restrictions will keep guns from falling into criminal hands, is if they eliminate ALL guns from every member of society, criminal and law-abiding alike. People who want to make more restrictions against ordinary people owning guns, must hav this as their ultimate objective, or else there will still be guns available for criminals to acquire by theft, fraud etc., and the goal of disarming criminals will never be achieved as long as such guns are there to steal.

There is clearly a need to protect officers of the law from the murderous intention of the occasional madman. Does that need justify the deliberate disarming of the entire populace and leaving them at the mercy of those same murderous madmen (plus all the ordinary muggers, rapists, and petty criminals)?

Should the 2nd amendment be repealed and something put in its place saying something like:

"Government recognizes no inherent right of ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms. Government will have the power to regulate, restrict, or ban the ownership of guns and other such weapons by some or all ordinary citizens."?

Werbung:
Recently four police officers of the state of Washington were gunned down in a coffee shop, by a person who apparently entered the shop for the purpose of deliberately targeting those officers. Since this is a politics-discussion forum, I guess we should ask a political question related to this tragedy, since some people will (as usual) start insisting we need more gun restrictions to keep this from happening.

The 2nd amendment says that since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted. Though it is frequently ignored by lawmakers who want to curtail gun rights, it is nonetheless still on the books, and stands in the way of anyone wanting to create new government regulations against citizens owning or carrying guns.

Clearly, since criminals will find ways to get guns despite all laws, the only way gun restrictions will keep guns from falling into criminal hands, is if they eliminate ALL guns from every member of society, criminal and law-abiding alike. People who want to make more restrictions against ordinary people owning guns, must hav this as their ultimate objective, or else there will still be guns available for criminals to acquire by theft, fraud etc., and the goal of disarming criminals will never be achieved as long as such guns are there to steal.

There is clearly a need to protect officers of the law from the murderous intention of the occasional madman. Does that need justify the deliberate disarming of the entire populace and leaving them at the mercy of those same murderous madmen (plus all the ordinary muggers, rapists, and petty criminals)?

Should the 2nd amendment be repealed and something put in its place saying something like:

"Government recognizes no inherent right of ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms. Government will have the power to regulate, restrict, or ban the ownership of guns and other such weapons by some or all ordinary citizens."?

NO!!!, Pardons must be repealed!! THINK!!!

This case has absolutely nothing at all to do with the second amendment. The shooter was a felon, who has no right to own a gun anyway, against the cops, whose right to carry guns doesn't depend on the second amendment. Why bring up the second amendment?

To point out in advance, to people who want more gun restrictions due to this tragedy, what they are proposing and what they will need to make it happen.

Has someone actually suggested that a case of a violent felon shooting at police shows that we should have gun restrictions?

Or is that just another outrageous strawman?

To point out in advance, to people who want more gun restrictions due to this tragedy, what they are proposing and what they will need to make it happen.

There isn't enough support for more gun control, so why keep bringing it up?

You guys are so simple...guns, abortion, and taxes. I guess that'll have to do until Limbaugh or Beck give you a new cause..

Little Acorn Hypothetical:
As much as I would hope that the supply & demand of any and all weapons were to be modified to just that simplistic single shot rife/shotgun pistol for human sustenance {hunting to put meat on the table} I'm aware that this most likely will not happen {not in my life time any way}. That only the military/law enforcement personnel would have access to the heavy artillery/multi fire action type of weapons...but then we would have the same incidents of an authorized person going ballistic and taking out a few humans by a random act of violence too!

But you do pose a interesting question and something that I have hashed & rehashed with several other authors around the WWW!

But here's the catch...if we had that amendment and I was living along the southern border of America and I had to no armed officials to patrol my property 24/7 then I would indeed insist that I be allowed to be armed to the hilt to protect me & my property as I saw fit...so the demographics would always be a constant exception to that rule too!

So how you we/you get around that type of scenario in your 'new' amendment?

Has someone actually suggested that a case of a violent felon shooting at police shows that we should have gun restrictions?

Or is that just another outrageous strawman?
Many times after publicized gun related incidents, there will be an outcry from anti-gun people to remove all guns from our society "so that it will be less likely to happen again due to the lessened availability of guns", or something to that effect.

So the poster did not offer up a straw man argument, he just preempted Finestine, Conyers, Sara Brady, Pelosie, et. AL.

Yeah because new anti gun legislation arrived soon after Columbine, DC Sniper, Virginia Tech, and Ft Hood. :rolleyes:
I am gonna venture a guess that I own and use more guns than any other poster on this site. If there is someone who has more than me, we should talk guns more. I also am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment.
When a bill actually comes up to a committee vote, or hell even a serious committee hearing, than we can talk. Otherwise this is the GOP and NRA doing what they do best, screaming how the boogie man is gonna take thier AK47s all the way down to 22lr ammo.

I think the current 2nd amendment is working just fine for the most part.

Straw_Man.jpg

And hey now, AK-47's are commie guns! lol you meant AR-15 right? Liberals use AK-47's :)

Yeah because new anti gun legislation arrived soon after Columbine, DC Sniper, Virginia Tech, and Ft Hood. :rolleyes:
I am gonna venture a guess that I own and use more guns than any other poster on this site. If there is someone who has more than me, we should talk guns more. I also am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment.
When a bill actually comes up to a committee vote, or hell even a serious committee hearing, than we can talk. Otherwise this is the GOP and NRA doing what they do best, screaming how the boogie man is gonna take thier AK47s all the way down to 22lr ammo.

I second the vote for more discussion on weapons of choice. :) It would be more productive than some of the circular discussions of late.

Werbung:
I second the vote for more discussion on weapons of choice. :) It would be more productive than some of the circular discussions of late.

Fine, you not guilty of a violent crime in last 10 years or so, go buy guy, have a background check to make sure, and have fun. And yes there is a limit on how big of a gun....you can have a pistol, you can't have a RPG...now in the middle is the line...done

Back