64 years ago today

Little-Acorn

64 years ago today, Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in anger was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, on August 8, another was dropped on Nagasaki. Approx. 200,000 people were killed as a result of the two bombings.

Less than 2 weeks later, Japan surrendered, ending WWII. As a result, the planned Allied invasion of the Japanese homeland was called off. The half million American deaths that were expected, plus more than a million Japanese deaths, never happened as a result.

Werbung:
64 years ago today, Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in anger was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, on August 8, another was dropped on Nagasaki. Approx. 200,000 people were killed as a result of the two bombings.

Less than 2 weeks later, Japan surrendered, ending WWII. As a result, the planned Allied invasion of the Japanese homeland was called off. The half million American deaths that were expected, plus more than a million Japanese deaths, never happened as a result.

You already start a virtually identical thread, right here..

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

Are you obsessed with this topic or what?

Good point. We actually nuked Japan because we were happy with what they had been doing.

I stand corrected.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The standard textbook answer is that we dropped the bomb to end the war sooner so as to save American lives.

Anger would be an emotion and as an emotion must have been felt by a human with the authority to drop the bomb. Who felt angry enough to drop the bomb for that reason rather than a more practical reason? What evidence do you have that said human felt angry and that it was the anger that was the primary motivation?

The bomb was not dropped in anger, but to put an end to the hostilities. It worked.

Had we acted in anger, then we wouldn't have been so willing to help rebuild Japan and Germany, which could easily have led to yet another war.

The US and its allies did exactly what we should have done. The results speak for themselves.

Are there actually people in this forum who do not know that "in anger" is a phrase that simply means "for offensive purposes", and does not refer to an emotional state?

People who actually thought I meant that the policy decision was made by hotheads who were blazing mad and looking for a way to "get" those damned Japs, so they cooked up a nuke?

Wow. Just wow.

Werbung:
Are there actually people in this forum who do not know that "in anger" is a phrase that simply means "for offensive purposes", and does not refer to an emotional state?

People who actually thought I meant that the policy decision was made by hotheads who were blazing mad and looking for a way to "get" those damned Japs, so they cooked up a nuke?

Wow. Just wow.

I have failed to find any references to the phrase or idiom "In anger" that does not refer to it as an emotional state of actual anger.

But assuming you are right...

if the bomb was indeed dropped as an offensive act I would suppose that war is the time for offensive actions.

Back