A Doctor's Story - Why I and my patients will miss Dr. Tiller

Popeye

I found this interesting, it shows a side of Dr Tiller and late term abortion the anti choicers don't want you to know about.

A few years ago, I was on call to take unassigned patients from the ER. My job as an internist is to admit patients whom the ER doctor deems need to be admitted.

That night, I admitted a 32 year old man for chest pain. When I opened the door to his room, I realized that this was not a normal "chest pain" admission. Sure, that was his main complaint - however, he was in perfect physical shape, muscular, thin and healthy - not the usual McDonald's physique that would most likely produce coronary disease in a 32 year old.

He was, however, sobbing uncontrollably. He was completely stressed out - emotionally and spiritually. He cried and cried and cried. Through the tears, the story finally emerged. I would have been crying too, had it been me.

His wife was 28 weeks pregnant - about 7 months (far too late for a normal abortion). He and his wife had just been informed that day by their OB-GYN that the fetus had severe deformities of its heart's left ventricle and pulmonary veins. The fetus would live about 5 minutes upon birth. However, they were told, there was a surgical corrective measure that could be done immediately upon birth that would give the child a 10% chance of living to be 21. Furthermore, that procedure would require a 50,000 dollar co-pay - and the baby would have to have several very expensive open-heart procedures througout its lifetime. The total cost to them and their insurance company ( and by extension SOCIETY ) would likely be 2 - 3 million dollars in the first 15 years of the baby's life.

The young man was beside himself - not only with grief - but with overwhelming fear about the future. Any conscious human being with an IQ would be able to immediately realize the ENORMOUS FINANCIAL strain this would take on this young family.

This young man and his wife had discussed this together. They had decided that 50 years ago - if this had happened to their grandparents - the baby would be born and just die. They both decided together that they wanted to abort the fetus, mainly, just to get the death of the fetus over for all involved and to do so in a controlled way. They decided they would immediately begin working on another baby to join their other two. They had prayed about it, discussed it with their families and wanted it done.

Then they talked to their OB - and found out it was not going to happen in Texas. By the laws of the State of Texas - and by extension the Southern Baptist Convention, late-term abortions are impossible to be done here. And thus, in total despondency - my patient just could not handle the stress and ended up in the hospital with chest pain.

I spoke with Dr. Tiller's clinic the next day - and fortunately, he was able to help them very soon thereafter. This family now has 4 healthy kids - and more importantly, are not burdened with the financial disaster of having a child who needs open heart surgery every 3 years. They are ardent Evangelical church-goers and they called me this morning to share their intense grief at what had happened to someone they view as their hero.

These issues are so much more than just a surgical procedure for this family. Late-term abortions - despite what Bill O'Reilly has to say - are almost NEVER if EVER done for birth control or because someone just "doesn't want to be pregnant". They are NOT done to fix pregnancy-induced depression. They ARE done to abort fetuses who are found to have disastrous problems like this couple's baby. And in the process, relieve both the family and society from gigantic emotional and financial pain.

In all my years of practice, I have had a mere 2 women who have had to do this - one is above - the other was very similar.

I thank God there are men like Dr. Tiller who were out there doing this for the women of America.

May God Have Mercy on his soul - and be with his family in these trying hours.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/...oryWhy-I-and-my-patients-will-miss-Dr.-Tiller

Werbung:
Ah great, proof that they came from all over for tiller to partially birth then kill their children. Do you think they got the picture, baptism and foot print package?

I wonder since they seemed to KNOW the child would die at birth, why not wait 2 months and let the child be born naturally and if the baby died as the doctor said, then it would die. There is a chance that doctor was wrong.

The doctor said my nephew would not survive without heart surgery. My brother was …. Well let’s put it this way… my brother said forget it and took my nephew home. Today there is no sign at all that there was anything wrong with his heart and he is 13. The doctor was wrong, they are sometimes.

Do you know how many times the doctors are wrong about things like this? Giving months and weeks to live to people who out lived the doctor.

It’s a sad story but I don’t see how the doctor saying your baby will die at birth justifies killing your baby on purpose 2 months early.

Ah great, proof that they came from all over for tiller to partially birth then kill their children. Do you think they got the picture, baptism and foot print package?

I wonder since they seemed to KNOW the child would die at birth, why not wait 2 months and let the child be born naturally and if the baby died as the doctor said, then it would die. There is a chance that doctor was wrong.

The doctor said my nephew would not survive without heart surgery. My brother was …. Well let’s put it this way… my brother said forget it and took my nephew home. Today there is no sign at all that there was anything wrong with his heart and he is 13. The doctor was wrong, they are sometimes.

Do you know how many times the doctors are wrong about things like this? Giving months and weeks to live to people who out lived the doctor.

It’s a sad story but I don’t see how the doctor saying your baby will die at birth justifies killing your baby on purpose 2 months early.

And your post coupled with Popeye's post show why the one size fits all concept of abortion doesn't work. Those people came to a decision that seemed best for them, Pandora, you say you would decide differently, that's America, people get to decide what they think is right and act on their own choices. Nowhere is that more personal than a woman deciding about a child growing inside her own body. I will never be God-like enough to feel that I have the right to tell a woman how she should decide--despite my own feelings on the subject.

Werbung:

It's sad.

Another medical doctor has been killed and some would rather tap dance on the poor man's grave for doing his legal job at the request of women's in need than to just say...

What a bunch of zealot jerks we are. We are completely off the chain. :(

Back