Abolish the monarchy!

9sublime

Over £36m was paid out to the Queen alone in 2004

79% of people believe that it has lost touch with society

it is unacceptable that the British tax payer should be paying £75,000,000 a year to support one of the richest families in Britain which could pay for 75,000 of the poorest students, fund 25 new secondary schools, or pay for the running of an entire hospital.

Last year, additional expenses for a £200,000 wardrobe and a £50,000 well, both for Buckingham Palace were made to the tax payer.

It may generate income form tourism, but this would increase to unprecedented levels if we were to abolish the monarchy and open up all the palaces as museums, hotels or restaurants.

These are just a few facts and figures I found in a few minutes. I could find many more. Its an outdated and costly thing and its only purpose now seems to be to fill up sleazy tabloids.

Werbung:
It's good to be the queen.

We had the same problem with a king back in the early days of our nation. Kings and queens are just too high maintenance so we told our king to find some other suckers to tax the hell out of and then we invented the democrat party to tax the hell out of us.

I was hoping for a bit of discussion on it...

Well, your first post was pretty damn convincing.

I remember talking with a man the last time I visited London who said he didn't mind the Queen's salary because that money was used on the upkeep of London's various parks. Beyond that extremely general statement I have no personal experience with the whole thing, and I don't even know how true what he said was.

Beyond whether or not you should "overthrow the monarchy" there are a few other, bigger questions. Most notably, how do you envision this "overthrowing" proceeding and what do you expect Britain would look like in the aftermath?

Thats the problem, I don't have a clue how to feasibly go about it. Sure, I could make a website, hand out leaflets, get on the local radio maybe, and could hook up with some other organizations that are doing the same thing but in the end are we ever going to weild the power to change such a huge (but ultimatley expensive and useless) part of our nations history.

75,000,000 towards the upkeep of Londons parks by the way? I don't think we would be spending that much if we abolished the monarchy and paid for them straight out of tax anyway.

MTV doesn't cost 75,000,000 to the tax payer for no good reason. It just churns out crappy material for 75,000,000 emoronics (excluding Dirty Sanchez, and Southpark).

MTV doesn't cost 75,000,000 to the tax payer for no good reason. It just churns out crappy material for 75,000,000 emoronics (excluding Dirty Sanchez, and Southpark).

Exactly the point.

Financial remuneration isn't the only reason why we do the things we do.

Who for? The tourists? Keep the palaces and castles open to the public, and get their upkeep payed for privatley.

This money could go to so many more worthwhile causes.

Who for? The tourists? Keep the palaces and castles open to the public, and get their upkeep payed for privatley.

This money could go to so many more worthwhile causes.

For some people, maintaining a national identity is a worthwhile cause. Imagine ancient egypt without the pyramids, or ancient greece without the ruins of the acropolis. Not quite the same, is it?

But do the ruins of the acropolis cost the taxpayer that obscene amount of money every year funding an already filthy rich family?

Werbung:
For some people, maintaining a national identity is a worthwhile cause. Imagine ancient egypt without the pyramids, or ancient greece without the ruins of the acropolis. Not quite the same, is it?

Imagine Ancient Egypt without slavery.

Imagine Ancient Greece without human sacrifice.

Back