About that rising sea level thing

Werbung:
I wonder what's happening. In some place sea levels are rising and in others they are declining.

The explanation I found was, sea levels fall when a lot of water is stored in places where it doesn't reach the oceans for a long time. But that of course doesn't explain why sea levels are rising elsewhere. More Pacific Islands could be "drowned."

I wonder what's happening. In some place sea levels are rising and in others they are declining.

The explanation I found was, sea levels fall when a lot of water is stored in places where it doesn't reach the oceans for a long time. But that of course doesn't explain why sea levels are rising elsewhere. More Pacific Islands could be "drowned."
Lots of reasons they go up (and down sometimes) which is why they have been ticking up for 150 years or more and at about the same rate (the scary rate of increase was walked back last year).
I

Lots of reasons they go up (and down sometimes) which is why they have been ticking up for 150 years or more and at about the same rate (the scary rate of increase was walked back last year).
I

The article called it "oscillation", however, the rise is not declining as claimed, it is still rising.

There are several ocean circulation patterns. For example the Gulf Stream carries warm water up the Atlantic coast, cools, then drops to a colder deeper counter current back. Warm water expands, so that will cause a higher level in some places. Also the ocean currents of warm surface water and cold deep return water meanders around over the years.

For this reason some areas can rise or fall temporarily in sea level although the average is rising.

Werbung:
There are several ocean circulation patterns. For example the Gulf Stream carries warm water up the Atlantic coast, cools, then drops to a colder deeper counter current back. Warm water expands, so that will cause a higher level in some places. Also the ocean currents of warm surface water and cold deep return water meanders around over the years.

For this reason some areas can rise or fall temporarily in sea level although the average is rising.
Obviously one way these things occur.

Back