America is losing its teachers at a record rate

PLC1

Staff member
America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate
During the first 10 months of the year, public educators, including teachers, community college faculty members, and school psychologists, quit their positions at a rate of 83 per 10,000, Labor Department figures obtained by The Wall Street Journal show. That’s the highest rate since the government started collecting the data in 2001. It’s also nearly double the 48 per 10,000 educators who quit their positions in 2009, the year with the lowest number of departures.

According to the report, teachers are leaving for a variety of reasons.
Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.

Werbung:
Yup. My step mother retired early because teachers were not permitted to teach. This was 20 years ago. Imagine what she thinks of it now...
I retired almost fifteen years ago. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't want to be in the thick of the battle between education and ignorance any more. I think the latter is winning, or at least has most of the popular vote.

The present bully-boy stage of capitalism makes teaching asn unpromising career over here too.

I retired almost fifteen years ago. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't want to be in the thick of the battle between education and ignorance any more. I think the latter is winning, or at least has most of the popular vote.
Those who best know their students have the least say regarding how to teach them. Thats a problem.

The Florida government is putting very little money into the school system. The teachers have abysmal pay. The govmt is micromanaging the schools - forcing too many tests and setting low class sizes but the school system can't find the teachers and money to do what the govmt says. They are grading the schools and teachers just like they do students. A teacher whose students have a low grade average will get a low grade too and no raise, even if they are in a poverty area where the students don't learn.

The govmt is trying to force privatization of schools. But the private schools are out to make a profit and some were caught full of shady schemes to enrich themselves.

The Florida government is putting very little money into the school system. The teachers have abysmal pay. The govmt is micromanaging the schools - forcing too many tests and setting low class sizes but the school system can't find the teachers and money to do what the govmt says. They are grading the schools and teachers just like they do students. A teacher whose students have a low grade average will get a low grade too and no raise, even if they are in a poverty area where the students don't learn.

The govmt is trying to force privatization of schools. But the private schools are out to make a profit and some were caught full of shady schemes to enrich themselves.
Poverty area ehere students dont learn ?

And to what do attribute this ? Low payed teachers ?

I agree that teachers are paid too little. I think that the issue is too little of the budget gets down to the class room.
I would like to see FAR less spent on central office. And eliminate federal altogether. Schooks have only gotten worse since those two things came about.
Simply throwing money has never worked.

Poverty area ehere students dont learn ?

And to what do attribute this ? Low payed teachers ?

I agree that teachers are paid too little. I think that the issue is too little of the budget gets down to the class room.
I would like to see FAR less spent on central office. And eliminate federal altogether. Schooks have only gotten worse since those two things came about.
Simply throwing money has never worked.
The problem is often a home with a single parent working two jobs to break even. Kids aren't supervised; steel cars, etc. The Florida government is piling all sorts of administrative work on the staff. And yes, the administrative staff is bloated.

My brother worked in statistics in the Texas "No child left behind" and said the state is micromanaging everything. The govmt is trying to fix things, but poorly, and haven't understood the unintended consequences.

The problem is often a home with a single parent working two jobs to break even. Kids aren't supervised; steel cars, etc. The Florida government is piling all sorts of administrative work on the staff. And yes, the administrative staff is bloated.

My brother worked in statistics in the Texas "No child left behind" and said the state is micromanaging everything. The govmt is trying to fix things, but poorly, and haven't understood the unintended consequences.
No one is better suited to determine how best to teach the students in front of them than those in that school.
Absentee parent(s) are a massive problem and no teacher can overcome that (the kid can but thats rare and getting rarer thanks to luberal policies.

No one is better suited to determine how best to teach the students in front of them than those in that school.
Absentee parent(s) are a massive problem and no teacher can overcome that (the kid can but thats rare and getting rarer thanks to luberal policies.
Kids can't overcome absentee parents because of luberal policies? What are luberal policies, and how do they keep kids from overcoming those policies?

I think kids have always had a hard time overcoming absentee parents. Kids don't do a good job of raising themselves as a rule

Kids can't overcome absentee parents because of luberal policies? What are luberal policies, and how do they keep kids from overcoming those policies?

I think kids have always had a hard time overcoming absentee parents. Kids don't do a good job of raising themselves as a rule
The safety net is a hammock. Failure IS an option.
Some kids, not many, are driven to learn.

Werbung:
Back