another attack on civil rights, thanks to the war on drugs.

PLC1

Staff member
Supreme Court gives police leeway in home searches

Reporting from Washington—
The Supreme Court gave police more leeway to break into homes or apartments in search of illegal drugs when they suspect the evidence otherwise might be destroyed.

Ruling in a Kentucky case Monday, the justices said that officers who smell marijuana and loudly knock on the door may break in if they hear sounds that suggest the residents are scurrying to hide the drugs.

No search warrant, just a suspicion that there may be illegal drugs?

If you think it can't get worse than that, you haven't heard about Indiana:

INDIANAPOLIS | Overturning a common law dating back to the English Magna Carta of 1215, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Hoosiers have no right to resist unlawful police entry into their homes.

In a 3-2 decision, Justice Steven David writing for the court said if a police officer wants to enter a home for any reason or no reason at all, a homeowner cannot do anything to block the officer's entry.

Werbung:
I don't care if the cops know for sure if there are drugs in someone's home, if they don't have a warrant specifically giving them the authority to search for the drugs, then they need to go away and forget about it. I'm sick and tired of being told that probable cause is unlimited.

Its ok, Bush decided you don't need warrants with the Patriot act already.

I saw the report last night but was so sleepy could not post anything.

one day our kids will look back and we will tell them..you know when I was born...you always had a right to a lawyer, police could not come into your home without a warrant, if you put someone in jail-you actully had to charge them with a crime, and the goverment was not able to listen into your phone calls with no warrant....and I had to walk up hill both ways in 3 feet of snow to school!

Supreme Court gives police leeway in home searches
No search warrant, just a suspicion that there may be illegal drugs?
This is great news! The nation is inching ever closer to establishing the Crime Regulation Agency, and it's long overdue.

Hey centerhalf... This is one of those cases where leaving our rights to the decision of the courts is just asking for trouble.

The Patriot Act doesn't make it OK.

The so called "war on drugs" is causing more problems than it is solving, not that drugs are good, but invasions of privacy and attacks on basic civil rights are worse.

The Patriot Act doesn't make it OK.

The so called "war on drugs" is causing more problems than it is solving, not that drugs are good, but invasions of privacy and attacks on basic civil rights are worse.

I was not saying its ok, I was taking a shot at the Patriot act as the terrorism and drug wars are having effects that are not all that off from each other...we are so scared of drugs and terrorist we don't pay attention to what the costs of the war are.

Extra Sweet! Geheime Staatspolizei, aka Gestapo, means secret state police... What's German for Not-so-secret state police?

988eba21e1ac5cd111d3f61c505a8c8f7924427a.jpeg

Extra Sweet! Geheime Staatspolizei, aka Gestapo, means secret state police... What's German for Not-so-secret state police?

988eba21e1ac5cd111d3f61c505a8c8f7924427a.jpeg

Yes Obama is a Nazi...got any more well thought out debate ideas...

you know when people said Bush was like Hitler it was stupid and wrong...I am betting you got all pissy about it to...but here you go....

Yeah, it's right up there with your zingers like, "The tea party is racist"... At least my post is humorous but you're serious when you post that garbage.

The tea party is not racist ...however a large amount of its base is...like the Birthers...freind of mine ( sorta) claims its not about race that he supports the tea party...hard to belive it does not play a role when he is calling him a N***** though...but of course you ask him, he says he is not racist ...

I was not saying its ok, I was taking a shot at the Patriot act as the terrorism and drug wars are having effects that are not all that off from each other...we are so scared of drugs and terrorist we don't pay attention to what the costs of the war are.

First of all, the "war on drugs" has been a complete waste of money and resources for decades. It is a JOKE. It is no different than these comical prostitution stings that they show on TV. A dozen "keystone" cops set up these prostitution stings, where they arrest prostitutes and their johns, who are then charged with misdemeanors, spend maybe one night in jail, and they go home. I know I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about these dangerous criminal prostitutes and johns. :eek:

PFOS, if The Patriot Act is so wrong, and the Iraq War is so wrong, and all wars are so wrong, then WHY didn't Obama and his Democrat-controlled U.S. Senate and U.S. House end all of this "madness" after Obama took office in 2009? You should be really upset at Obama and Pelosi and Reid, right?

First of all, the "war on drugs" has been a complete waste of money and resources for decades. It is a JOKE. It is no different than these comical prostitution stings that they show on TV. A dozen "keystone" cops set up these prostitution stings, where they arrest prostitutes and their johns, who are then charged with misdemeanors, spend maybe one night in jail, and they go home. I know I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about these dangerous criminal prostitutes and johns. :eek:

PFOS, if The Patriot Act is so wrong, and the Iraq War is so wrong, and all wars are so wrong, then WHY didn't Obama and his Democrat-controlled U.S. Senate and U.S. House end all of this "madness" after Obama took office in 2009? You should be really upset at Obama and Pelosi and Reid, right?

pretty easy...republicans filibustered evrything...and some dems are idiots as well and sided with republicans. See thing is you guys are so blind on attacking Obama for evry single thing, regardless if he had anything to do with it...you fail to notice that the left is not always happy with him as well...we want more done...of course those little issues of not being black and white always get past you...like since I am against going into Iraq...I am against all wars? odd as I fully supported the Afganistan war, and supported doing more then what Bush did, not less.

And why should I be more mad at Dems then I am at repulicans...who actuly pushed teh bill in the first place and far and away have more supporters supporting it? Dems have actuly made some, but not enough changes to make the partiot act better.

But you keep at those Straw men...it must make it easy for you to debate when you attack issues people don't actully belive...takes all the thinking out of it

If we're going to debate which party is the problem, then it's easy to be right. Both parties are to blame.

And, if we are going to pin the blame for the war on drugs, the Patriot Act, and other egregious attacks on civil rights on anyone, it has to be on the bozos we elect to represent us, but wait: Who elects these bozos in the first place?

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

pretty easy...republicans filibustered evrything...and some dems are idiots as well and sided with republicans. See thing is you guys are so blind on attacking Obama for evry single thing, regardless if he had anything to do with it...you fail to notice that the left is not always happy with him as well...we want more done...of course those little issues of not being black and white always get past you...like since I am against going into Iraq...I am against all wars? odd as I fully supported the Afganistan war, and supported doing more then what Bush did, not less.

And why should I be more mad at Dems then I am at repulicans...who actuly pushed teh bill in the first place and far and away have more supporters supporting it? Dems have actuly made some, but not enough changes to make the partiot act better.

But you keep at those Straw men...it must make it easy for you to debate when you attack issues people don't actully belive...takes all the thinking out of it

Wow! I have missed a lot of stuff since Obama took office. So, the Democrats, led by Pelosi and Reid, had legislation introduced in Congress that would have abolished the Patriot Act, ended the war in Iraq, closed Gitmo, etc., and it was the REPUBLICANS who "filibustered" all of it?

Do you have any LINKS to prove this? Or are you doing some more "sphincter-chattering" again.

Werbung:
The tea party is not racist ...however a large amount of its base is...
Fair enough...

The Democrat party is not Fascist... However a large amount of it's base is...

Holy crap that was easy! No wonder you have twice as many posts as me!

You really do have the market cornered on, "well thought out debate ideas"... and offering 'a guy you know' as proof that 'a large amount of the tea party base is racist', BRILLIANT! Seriously, we are all in AWE of your superior intellect. :)

Back