Anyone Else Find This Description Of "Personal Responsibility" Odd?

BigRob

On January 11, 2010, Senator Mary Landrieu was confronted by protestors outside the Vermilion Parish Library as she spoke about coastal protection. The protestors were there to discuss the Senator’s vote on health care reform. As she responded to criticism, she noted:
“The idea is to require personal responsibility. People have to have insurance but we’ll help you pay for it.”

This is a strange kind of personal responsibility. Real personal responsibility requires individual people to take ownership of their actions. If the government mandates behavior, it can hardly be thought of as people taking the responsibility to accomplish something on their own.

To make matters worse, Landrieu follows up with a promise that the government will help pay for this required behavior. It seems that she views personal responsibility as something that ought be legislated and subsidized rather than left to the individual where it belongs.

If legislators focused on addressing the unnecessary rules and regulations that drive up the cost of insurance and health care, more individuals could afford to act responsibly. That would be better for the individual and less expensive for the government.

Werbung:
You right wingers totally missed the point of her statement... Some people don't have health insurance, so its your personal responsiblity to provide them with it while still providing your own. That's why it has to be legislated, you rich, selfish, fat cats won't pony up the money to help others without a gun to your head.

You right wingers totally missed the point of her statement... Some people don't have health insurance, so its your personal responsiblity to provide them with it while still providing your own. That's why it has to be legislated, you rich, selfish, fat cats won't pony up the money to help others without a gun to your head.

Why should I? It's my money, get your hand out of my pocket.

ROFL... You guys must not know me well enough to pick up on the very thick sarcasm of that post. Read my sig, these collectivists want to enslave every individual and health care is just another vehicle for them to accomplish that goal.

I have to admit this made me laugh. ;)

Little-Acorn said:
Can you name even one person this description fits?
ROFL... You guys must not know me well enough to pick up on the very thick sarcasm of that post. Read my sig, these collectivists want to enslave every individual and health care is just another vehicle for them to accomplish that goal.

Sorry, GS, just taking you at your word.

Generally, the question still stands. Quite a few on this forum seem to have met such a person, or so you would think from their writing.

Details are always lacking. Here's their chance to explain who it is.

Sorry, GS, just taking you at your word.

Don't sweat it my friend... I take it as a compliment that I can channel the leftist rhetoric of anti-reason so well that people can't tell the difference. Of course, the lefties have no defense of this definition of personal responsibility but if they tried, they would echo in all seriousness what I have said in jest.

On January 11, 2010, Senator Mary Landrieu was confronted by protestors outside the Vermilion Parish Library as she spoke about coastal protection. The protestors were there to discuss the Senator’s vote on health care reform. As she responded to criticism, she noted:

This is a strange kind of personal responsibility. Real personal responsibility requires individual people to take ownership of their actions. If the government mandates behavior, it can hardly be thought of as people taking the responsibility to accomplish something on their own.

To make matters worse, Landrieu follows up with a promise that the government will help pay for this required behavior. It seems that she views personal responsibility as something that ought be legislated and subsidized rather than left to the individual where it belongs.

If legislators focused on addressing the unnecessary rules and regulations that drive up the cost of insurance and health care, more individuals could afford to act responsibly. That would be better for the individual and less expensive for the government.

sometimes personal responsibility does not always meet up with the reality of the real world...in a fantasy land, its your responsability to get health care, because we all can afford it, so its just your lack of responsibility to get it yourself. But in the real world , we have 10% unemployment and how much of that lack of employment is lack of personal responsibility? you had a 60,000 a year job, you payed for your health care, you did what is asked, you did your job well....the company folded, or needed to make cuts due to the econ....you lost job....your family needed that job for both income and health care....you just lost both... The Job market sucks, even if you get a job your looking at for many, a 25% or more pay cut and less benifits as well.

Now does it not make sense to make those who could pay for it, but choose not to...pay for it? those who it would be very very hard on, we help...and those who just simply can't pay for it ( who are legal citizens) we where we can pay for it all? Vs some black and white pay for it youself or die in the street ( no saying you can still get treatment does not count, someone is still paying for that often far more costly treatment

I wish evryone who thinks health care is some kind of privilage for those with income could try lossing there job threw no fault of there own, and paying for health care after that...and add to that a family member has a preexisting condidion that requires expensive health care coverage to stay in any type of health, or possibly stay alive.....

I would then ask how after going threw that, if they think well given the choice of health care reform, I would rather had no health care while I was short cash and watched my loved ones suffer...rather then ask for help from the goverment....I wounder how many of those proud people would break and more likey how fast they would be asking.....

working 2 jobs and not able to afford health care....I did that for years

Lost health care becuse of slow econ and loss of job? had that as well

Loved one who needed expensive care, already deep in debt with the bills...losing job that provided her health care....had that as well ( she was very lucky on how she got threw that time)

there is personal responsibility....but what about our responsibility to fellow Americans, to people? Sometimes I think the right forgets about that....sometimes I wounder if the right would even allow for help for all kids uner 18 to have full coverage regardless....or if that is to Marxist for them as well.

Big Rob, this is not aimed at you, just a general statement that your post provded a change to talk about that was related

1) insurrance companies wrote it
2) you will pay more (be forced to pay more)
3) you will recieve less coverage

the hero of HOPE and CHANGE is giving you this gift of CHANGE.... yes we can!!

Its like backward 1984 thinking. I never thought we would ever really get to this sort of thinking but we have. And the scary part is many buy into it.

what about our responsibility to fellow Americans, to people?
Oh Pocket... :rolleyes:

You right wingers totally missed the point of her statement... Some people don't have health insurance, so its your personal responsibility to provide them with it while still providing your own. That's why it has to be legislated, you rich, selfish, fat cats won't pony up the money to help others without a gun to your head.

What is your responsibility to fellow Americans?

Werbung:
Back