Article I, Section 8, Line 1

Sihouette

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

So which lawyer wants to tell me why our "general Welfare" isn't connected to relieving the fiscal burdens now crushing our economic infrastructure via the healthcare industry having an unfettered monopoly? Every day hundreds of american citizens are killed and we don't even notice. Their manslaughterers are the economic tyrants that won't allow them access to adequate and affordable healthcare. We are at war and we are losing citizens every day to the enemy.

Again, please explain why we cannot call our citizens inability to avoid premature death a "general Welfare" issue?

Werbung:
So which lawyer wants to tell me why our "general Welfare" isn't connected to relieving the fiscal burdens now crushing our economic infrastructure via the healthcare industry having an unfettered monopoly? Every day hundreds of american citizens are killed and we don't even notice. Their manslaughterers are the economic tyrants that won't allow them access to adequate and affordable healthcare. We are at war and we are losing citizens every day to the enemy.

Again, please explain why we cannot call our citizens inability to avoid premature death a "general Welfare" issue?

An industry cannot be a monopoly by definition.

Lets consider all of this article...

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Many seem to doze off before they get to the bolded part.

An industry cannot be a monopoly by definition.

Lets consider all of this article...

Many seem to doze off before they get to the bolded part.

Two thumbs up! :)

picture.php

It seems the Air Force is against the Constitution , Army and navy...did not say Airforce...

Shall we kill it!?

You would need to track back to see how it was arrived at as with the Marines and Coast Guard. But the national defense is stipulated.

If you are looking for a gotcha, its standing army you want.

Where to start. I'll not bother with the usual "framers intent" etc., instead I'll try to explain my view with reduction. I'll phrase the problem as I see it in personal terms.

I've been continuously employed since the age of 12. At the age of 19, after I dropped out of college, I got a full-time job which I selected in part because of the health benefits I needed since I was no longer covered by my parent's insurance. Since then, beside getting two college degrees, I've never been without health insurance, and I'm now in my mid-40's. I do not understand how any adult can make it into their 40's and 50's and not have adequate coverage. Those who are chronically without health insurance have nothing more than a life full of bad decisions and behavior to blame for their lack of coverage. Those few who truly are needy through no fault of their own are rare, and can be easily taken care of. Making me pay for the chronic taxeaters affects my welfare, and the welfare of my family. They're bums--why should I care for them if they won't care for themselves. Paying their bills rewards their bad behavior and punishes my responsibility. How is that uniform taxation?

Any system that rewards the irresponsible at the expense of the responsible is unstable, and will eventually fail. If you disagree, then prove it by paying my mortgage--I've got two kids to send through college. :)

H

Really? I became ill an nearly died in my 20s. How irresponsible of me eh? For six months I lay on a stained mattress, having lost my employment from my illness when my depressed area only offers few jobs as it is. I was barely able to get up and feed myself and my infant daughter who lay at my side playing in a room a friend fenced off for her to stay safe in while I slipped in and out of consciousness and pain.

The County relief plan in place at the time would not pay for the strong antibiotics I needed to fight off this particular strain of bacteria so friends snuck across the border in Mexico to buy the kind I'd read about that was effective. Thanks to their efforts I am able to get around today and type and do light exercise before my joints begin to shut down on me due to complications from that disease going on too long in my body.

That was my bad. That was my "health care plan". If not for some dear friends I would be dead today. I did in fact die one night as one of the complications of the disease running unchecked by proper medication was heart arrythmias. I had a dream that I was talking to angels and that they began to "sing me back to life". When I woke up my entire body [in a house that had heating and under blankets in a bed] was as cold as ice and white as a sheet. It took me hours to warm up my body to where I could move my fingers, then my arms, shoulders etc.

So yeah, I'm so darned irresponsible. You my friend got lucky. Should your luck change for you or anyone in your family, you will want affordable and adequate care after your employer decides you're too expensive to keep on or insure..have fun choosing between groceries and increasing premiums before you reach your lifetime cap. I know I did!

Besides, who would really care if I died back then? It's not like my ideas are original or I have anything unique and beneficial to offer this nation. I wonder how many other people have died prematurely that could've propelled our industry to the top in the world or cured cancer or figured out the last calculations of quantum physics? Oh well..

I'm just happy to see anyone talk about the Constitution. It's nice to know that such a document brings out the patriotism in all of us. Whether we agree or disagree on it's interpretation. =)

OK, then how do you disagree that taking care of good productive people like me isn't in the interest of the general Welfare of our nation? Directly because of inadequate healthcare I almost died and had to have friends break the law to keep me alive; and I now have a [erstwhile preventable] lifelong disability as a result of the politics protecting big insurance. We should have conditions that don't promote that. = )

Please don't generalize. Be as specific as possible.

OK, then how do you disagree that taking care of good productive people like me isn't in the interest of the general Welfare of our nation? Directly because of inadequate healthcare I almost died and had to have friends break the law to keep me alive; and I now have a [erstwhile preventable] lifelong disability as a result of the politics protecting big insurance. We should have conditions that don't promote that. = )

its not an enumerated power, said powers were the limits of what constituted the general welfare.

its a shame you got sick but Uncle Sam aint your daddy.

Those few who truly are needy through no fault of their own are rare, and can be easily taken care of. -- Why were you not eligible for Medicaid? My sister in law at a similar age found herself and her family on this program in what sounds like similar circumstances.

OK, then how do you disagree that taking care of good productive people like me isn't in the interest of the general Welfare of our nation?

Then by your understanding of the General Welfare clause, what is there to stop us from becoming a full blown Communist society? Everyone's needs would be entirely cared for by government, they would be fed, housed, clothed, given jobs, health care and any other need would be filled by government. Do you have any objections to the US becoming a Communist society?

Really? I became ill an nearly died in my 20s. How irresponsible of me eh? For six months I lay on a stained mattress, having lost my employment from my illness when my depressed area only offers few jobs as it is. I was barely able to get up and feed myself and my infant daughter who lay at my side playing in a room a friend fenced off for her to stay safe in while I slipped in and out of consciousness and pain.

The County relief plan in place at the time would not pay for the strong antibiotics I needed to fight off this particular strain of bacteria so friends snuck across the border in Mexico to buy the kind I'd read about that was effective. Thanks to their efforts I am able to get around today and type and do light exercise before my joints begin to shut down on me due to complications from that disease going on too long in my body.

That was my bad. That was my "health care plan". If not for some dear friends I would be dead today. I did in fact die one night as one of the complications of the disease running unchecked by proper medication was heart arrythmias. I had a dream that I was talking to angels and that they began to "sing me back to life". When I woke up my entire body [in a house that had heating and under blankets in a bed] was as cold as ice and white as a sheet. It took me hours to warm up my body to where I could move my fingers, then my arms, shoulders etc.

So yeah, I'm so darned irresponsible. You my friend got lucky. Should your luck change for you or anyone in your family, you will want affordable and adequate care after your employer decides you're too expensive to keep on or insure..have fun choosing between groceries and increasing premiums before you reach your lifetime cap. I know I did!

Besides, who would really care if I died back then? It's not like my ideas are original or I have anything unique and beneficial to offer this nation. I wonder how many other people have died prematurely that could've propelled our industry to the top in the world or cured cancer or figured out the last calculations of quantum physics? Oh well..

But your missing the real question they care about...how much will it cost me? They don't care about your health ...

Then by your understanding of the General Welfare clause, what is there to stop us from becoming a full blown Communist society
We already are. We provide funds for a military for the general Welfare. Medicare for the general Welfare [odd choice of the words "general" and 'Welfare" if that isn't what they intended], social security for elderly, the feds provisions for fire suppression, disaster relief, infrastructure, schools and ER visits..

They're all under the umbrella of "general Welfare". Why then is the retooling of the ER "universal care" program to save taxpayers money such a real perversion of the clause "for the general Welfare"? People getting sick or injured in the course of their lifetime is a guarantee, not an exception. Ergo, the general Welfare applies as it is universal that we all need adequate and affordable healthcare at some point in our lives. And as a consumer I would think you'd want to get sick more often to justify the $500++/month premiums with high deductables that you have to pay for being well. What a dumb and expensive product! What a ripoff..

Werbung:
Some Startling Healthcare Statistics

Workplace Wellness affects every company's bottom line irrespective of size. For example, health insurance premiums for employers and employees are almost three times that of wages and inflation. In fact, since 2000 employment-based health insurance premiums have increased 78%. These costs are further compounded by those associated with lost productivity, accidents, medical claims, and absenteeism related to an unhealthy work staff. If healthcare costs to the employer continue to rise they will infringe upon company profits, and in some cases put companies out of business. The most efficient way to decrease costs associated with healthcare insurance premiums and general illness is to invest in your employees' health and promote workplace wellness http://www.dcgnews.com/2009/09/workplace-wellness-it-makes-cents_16.html

From DCG News: "The DC Group is a management advisory firm focused on making business better in America."

So inside industry we see they admit that employee [I presume they are citizens] health is directly related to the bottom line. The bottom line is the GDP. So our nation's health relies on the health of each individual citizen [potential worker].

Ergo: "general Welfare" includes providing guaranteed adequate and accessible helathcare for all citizens.

Back