Association of Muslim Governors

Iftikhar

There is a shortage of school governors and it is difficult to find a Muslim governor in a state schools. A campaign has started to recruit more and more Muslim governors. In 2003, there were only 53 Muslim schools and now there are more than 126 full-time Muslim schools and more are in the pipe line because of racism and anti-Muslim feeling in state schools. The silent majority of Muslim parents would like to send their children to Muslim schools. In my opinion, AOMG and MCB should campaign for more state funded Muslim schools rather than asking for more Muslim governors in state schools. Muslim children are disadvantaged by an education system that perpetuates inequalities. British media and schooling tried their best to mirror Islamic cultural values as inferior, backward traditions and unworthy. This cultural obliteration is being made possible by the negation of the right to speak Urdu and Arabic as well as choice of dress.

I think that Muslim governors in state schools are not going to bring any kind of change. I became the first Muslim governor in Newham in the 70s but left after three years. I was the only Muslim governors and I found it a waste of time. In the 90s, Stratford school in Newham was opted out by the board of governors from the LEA. Majority of governors were Muslims. Within a year there was a conflict with the non-Muslim head teacher and the Secretary of State for Education dismissed all the governors and appointed new governors. The head teacher took early retirement and was awarded round about two hundred and fifty thousands pounds as a reward for getting rid of Muslim governors

There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, those schools should be designated as Muslim community schools. State funded Muslim schools are the solution and not the problem. Muslim pupils are bilingual. Bilingualism strengthens their cultural identity and foster educational success. It is such a gift to a child, that it is irresponsible not to encourage its natural development. Trilingual 11-years olds outperform monolingual children in reading tests. They are five times more likely to get five A-C grades at GCSE than those who don’t. Bilingualism and biculturalism should be valued and recognized by the teachers. If children’s education leads them to believe that the language of their parents is somehow “inferior”, the chances of their feeling out of place in their extra-familial environment are likely to be greater (“banlieux” of Paris, November 2005?). Telling them to “go home”, to a “home” where they were not born, is no sort of a solution. The price of ignoring children’s bilingualism is educational failure and social exclusion. Learning to read in three languages has social, emotional and cognitive advantages, according to a study of 5-7 years olds in Watford. The children learn English, Urdu and Arabic at the same time at the age of five.
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Werbung:
There is a shortage of school governors and it is difficult to find a Muslim governor in a state schools.

Yes, this is because we don't live in a Muslim country.

A campaign has started to recruit more and more Muslim governors. In 2003, there were only 53 Muslim schools and now there are more than 126 full-time Muslim schools and more are in the pipe line because of racism and anti-Muslim feeling in state schools.

And you think segregation is the answer to getting Muslims intergrated in the end?? Fundamentally flawed.

The silent majority of Muslim parents would like to send their children to Muslim schools.

By silent majority you mean you didn't bother taking a survey you just guessed and made big assumptions by applying your beliefs to everyone.

In my opinion, AOMG and MCB should campaign for more state funded Muslim schools rather than asking for more Muslim governors in state schools. Muslim children are disadvantaged by an education system that perpetuates inequalities. British media and schooling tried their best to mirror Islamic cultural values as inferior, backward traditions and unworthy.

I'm not racist, I welcome Muslims and any race into this country if they are willing to help the people of the nation and get involved, rather than segregate themselves. Maybe they don't have to back the government, because I don't. They don't have to be a good citizen in that respect, but they have to live by the decent values of the country they have joined.

I'm from the UK and the general feeling about people like you is live with everyone else like everyone else outside of your own home or **** off to a country that follows Islam in its government. People like you get me so angry. You don't think our PC efforts are worthy? Well get stuffed mate, go find a Muslim country that cares or work with us.

There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, those schools should be designated as Muslim community schools. State funded Muslim schools are the solution and not the problem. Muslim pupils are bilingual. Bilingualism strengthens their cultural identity and foster educational success.

Oh, and segregating them strengthens their cultural identity too does it, or their counter cultural identity? Which one is it.

Telling them to “go home”, to a “home” where they were not born, is no sort of a solution.

Go somewhere that is a Muslim country or stop complaining. People are sick of you and you get Muslims tarred with a brush that makes people dislike them.

The price of ignoring children’s bilingualism is educational failure and social exclusion. Learning to read in three languages has social, emotional and cognitive advantages, according to a study of 5-7 years olds in Watford.

And seperating people has a cultural advantage?

Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

I am a 'liberal', I am left wing, I hate facism, racism, etc. But I hate people coming here and telling me that they don't like the country. Fine, if this doesn't support your ultimatley foreign views, find somewhere else.

Back