Being banned

Pandora

I just noticed the new guy was banned, and I am glad but I am wondering is it for a week or for good?

Is it ok if the members know this stuff? Can we have a thread about it?

I know always was banned for a week, I think her week is up today, but I dont really know what she did to get banned for a week. If we dont know what gets a person banned we might make the same mistakes too?

I personally can see a big difference in the forum since you guys have been doing the week bans, I think we are being more polite to eachother for the most part, so great job mods!

anyways, if its not right to tell who got banned and why, I understand. I just thought it would be helpful to know, so we dont make the same mistakes.

If we have a thread about it maybe a mod only thread where we cant go on ranting about the stuff. Mods just say

always was band for [reason] for one week.

something like that...

Werbung:
I just noticed the new guy was banned, and I am glad but I am wondering is it for a week or for good?

Is it ok if the members know this stuff? Can we have a thread about it?

I know always was banned for a week, I think her week is up today, but I dont really know what she did to get banned for a week. If we dont know what gets a person banned we might make the same mistakes too?

I personally can see a big difference in the forum since you guys have been doing the week bans, I think we are being more polite to eachother for the most part, so great job mods!

anyways, if its not right to tell who got banned and why, I understand. I just thought it would be helpful to know, so we dont make the same mistakes.

Well, we'll see if having a thread about it is allowed or not! I think you're asking a legit question. In spite of ready availability of the forum rules, it is obvious that some have never bothered to read them. Probably the same mindset (gross generalization here....) that gets a credit card, doesn't read the fine print, then wonders why their rates go through the roof.

I also believe that some info on what people are banned for might be helpful. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be necessary to even post a user ID. I'd rather know the "why's" than the "who's" involved.

I think that most of the bans have been for using profanity or other excessively offensive language, and are typically quite obvious. Perhaps some are for personal attacks. The profanity issue should be obvious, but the offensive language and personal attacks can be a bit more subjective.

I would also welcome knowing if the one week ban is now in place as an initial warning, or if it is after a "verbal" warning... I agree that the mods seem to be doing a fine job in all. Kudos! Perhaps we could get a published 'format sketch of guidelines?'

Guess I'd like to know, just in case I go totally of my nut some day and explode...

Personally, I don't see why we can't have a thread about being banned, so long as we don't get too specific about personalities involved.

Most of the banned were booted for personal attacks, for troll threads, for spamming (posting links to commercial threads) or for a combination of all three.

I'm glad to see that the difference is noted. There is still some work to be done, particularly in the area of personal insults, but there has been some progress.

I think the goal is to educate members as to what is and is not allowed, rather than to simply boot members who post unacceptable material, so a thread like this could be a positive thing. We want to keep a diversity of opinions, but opinions on issues, not opinions about member's personalities and comprehension of those issues.

Personally, I don't see why we can't have a thread about being banned, so long as we don't get too specific about personalities involved.

Most of the banned were booted for personal attacks, for troll threads, for spamming (posting links to commercial threads) or for a combination of all three.

I'm glad to see that the difference is noted. There is still some work to be done, particularly in the area of personal insults, but there has been some progress.

I think the goal is to educate members as to what is and is not allowed, rather than to simply boot members who post unacceptable material, so a thread like this could be a positive thing. We want to keep a diversity of opinions, but opinions on issues, not opinions about member's personalities and comprehension of those issues.

Great!

after you and the other mods get a chance to talk about it maybe you can make a thread.

I dont care so much who did something but knowing what they did so I dont repeat it is something I want to know.

The first mention of forum rules and banning I know about was a while after i got here.

The warning and infractions were first, three of those and you were out. I dont think it was for a week back then either. UShadITcoming was banned for good I thinkkk.

anyways, Its great if you guys have a thread about it even if you make the thread were only mods can post, just reading it will help us understand the rules better

thanks for replying plc1

at the Soup, we use to actually have a thread for any banning, explaining how long and why, just to make it open to all. Of course not everything needs to be posted...Some on here post about being banned, or that they get yelled at and points against them for there infractions while others just take it, and deal with it with the mods and keep it off the board...then one some look at it, they see only one side and fail to notice that others also get yelled at and points against them...they just don't cry on the boards about it.

also reasons for threads being removed would be nice, I am not realy sure why that thread about if Zionist is a racist doctrine was removed... Its a legit question I think...even if you don't agree...Now if the thread sayed Jews suck..sure delete...but while may think the question is racialy aimed as attack on Jews, it does not make the question not legit...but since I can't see what happened on the thread not realy sure what happened after the last post I read.

as far as the threads go, we had 2 types...the public one that was more general...and a more detailed one for all mods to see. Generaly that was ok, as most felt that if there was a unfair move based on Politics...other mods from other views would be able to check it.

at the Soup, we use to actually have a thread for any banning, explaining how long and why, just to make it open to all. Of course not everything needs to be posted...Some on here post about being banned, or that they get yelled at and points against them for there infractions while others just take it, and deal with it with the mods and keep it off the board...then one some look at it, they see only one side and fail to notice that others also get yelled at and points against them...they just don't cry on the boards about it.

Thats why I was thinking a thread only mods could post on.

lets say I got banned for a week for saying "shut up you stupid retard"
but anohter member had someone tell them just a day before "shut up you stupid moron"

that person could post that it isnt fair this person was banned and someone said same about me yesterday and why arnt they banned exc. blah blah

so if it were just a mod only posting thread

so and so was banned for one week for xyz

no one could reply with thier rants. and if anyone makes threads about rants they should be banned for a week too :)

but anohter member had someone tell them just a day before "shut up you stupid moron"

that person could post that it isnt fair this person was banned and someone said same about me yesterday and why arnt they banned exc. blah blah

no one could reply with thier rants. and if anyone makes threads about rants they should be banned for a week too :)

like I said, we never where that specific on the public forum , only in the private mods only one that only we could see. that way the mods could check each other, and me as the Site admin could make sure mods where doing there jobs in a fair way as well. To much info and detail just makes it realy messy and evryone gets to far into little details that its just not fair for mods to try to deal with...there was checks and balances...but also not to much on the micro managing of mods so as to not end up with non stop crying about evry little choice. also the knowlage that barring major infractions, all actions where agreed on by the mods in vote.

Mods don't read every thread. Neither ""shut up you stupid retard" nor "shut up you stupid moron" are acceptable, regardless of who posts it.

There already is a mod only posting thread.;)

also reasons for threads being removed would be nice, I am not realy sure why that thread about if Zionist is a racist doctrine was removed... Its a legit question I think...even if you don't agree...Now if the thread sayed Jews suck..sure delete...but while may think the question is racialy aimed as attack on Jews, it does not make the question not legit...but since I can't see what happened on the thread not realy sure what happened after the last post I read.

Now that's a good idea...when I've posted a topic in the wrong thread it would be nice to know where the topic was relocated/moved too.

On the community board that I'm a moderator on {oh, ya that will shock some delicate minds around here} we leave a message...
---topic relocated to---so that the others that are looking for it can readily find the topic and carry on their discussion. But as far as members knowing why someone or another is banned...the person being banned knows {the mods tell them and provide the specific post} and if they want to share that with you Pandora then just ask them upon their return...but other then that, it's nobodies business what goes on behind the closed doors of the moderators area.

It would just allow the people like ALWAYS to carry on more diatribes about the issues that he has with everything and anything that got him into trouble to start with...to much BLAH-BLAH-BLAH :D

like I said, we never where that specific on the public forum , only in the private mods only one that only we could see. that way the mods could check each other, and me as the Site admin could make sure mods where doing there jobs in a fair way as well. To much info and detail just makes it realy messy and evryone gets to far into little details that its just not fair for mods to try to deal with...there was checks and balances...but also not to much on the micro managing of mods so as to not end up with non stop crying about evry little choice. also the knowlage that barring major infractions, all actions where agreed on by the mods in vote.

I have to agree. I understand liking to know why someone was banned and I myself like to know for how long but I also see a looming problem for the Mods. Like it or not there are nuances. Once it's posted public knowledge (as opposed to going to a Mod for a general explaination) exactly why someone was banned this is what happens.

Defenders of that person start scouring the archives looking for the exact same type infraction that someone else somewhere didn't get banned for and start screaming discrimination or leave the site.

I have to agree. I understand liking to know why someone was banned and I myself like to know for how long but I also see a looming problem for the Mods. Like it or not there are nuances. Once it's very public exactly why someone was banned this is what happens.

Defenders of that person start scouring the archives looking for the exact same type infraction that someone else somewhere didn't get banned for and start screaming discrimination or leave the site.

Yes, that's one reason we can't get too specific. We already get the "so and so did it too, so you're just picking on me" sorts of responses.

Still, it should be common sense that if one member starts to get personal and call names, that is just not acceptable on this board. I've seen some boards where it is common practice, which is why I avoid those boards. We don't want this one to become the forum that people who want to have a serious discussion avoid.

Do we?

Yes, that's one reason we can't get too specific. We already get the "so and so did it too, so you're just picking on me" sorts of responses.

Still, it should be common sense that if one member starts to get personal and call names, that is just not acceptable on this board. I've seen some boards where it is common practice, which is why I avoid those boards. We don't want this one to become the forum that people who want to have a serious discussion avoid.

Do we?

While I agree with what you say in essence the way in which one poster speaks should not be a 'one size fits all' format either. Some of us are very geared to be natural wise-a$$es and humor doesn't hurt anyone. If we can't take it on the CHIN as I've been told then the few times that something gets heated and the fur flies about specific issues...couldn't there be the special topic set aside for the two authors to take it to the 'RUBBER ROOM' and duke it out.

Since I've been new here I have seen some real shocking things said about others that I was not familiar with and the 'locals' felt the need to drag up posts from years ago just to make their point about that person I was talking with was a real M.F. and to use it against him when it had nothing NOTHING what so ever to do with the current topic.

My point...unresolved issues like that when brought into today's discussion have no place...none but the 2 people that did it seemed to think that it would sway my thoughts about their "ENEMY"...so make a 'RUBBER ROOM' call it whatever you need to and let the combatants duke it out and the mods don't have to do anything unless bodily harm is threatened to any member while in there (just a suggestion).

Mods don't read every thread. Neither ""shut up you stupid retard" nor "shut up you stupid moron" are acceptable, regardless of who posts it.

There already is a mod only posting thread.;)

I knew there was already a mods only posting thread, thats the thread I was hoping it could go on.

Mods would not have to say who, its pretty obvious who, its the person with the words BANNED below their avatar :)

but the why is confussing. It doesnt have to be anything specific. But a general idea would be helpful for everyone, at least for me. So I dont repeat those same mistakes. I want my mistakes to be fresh and new :)

and I dont understand the new banning for a week thing. I have been here almost 2 years and the few bans I have seen were all for good till recently. I am fine with the week bans, I think they are a great tool but I dont understand if its a new policy or if the actions of those getting the week bans are not as bad as those who got the for good bans. I guess we could wait a week and see if the person comes back and if not assume they are banned for good?

I am assuming the guy today and always were banned for making too many threads. I am not sure but they both made alot of threads so I will really watch how many I make so I dont get a week off for bombarding the board with numerous threads :)

I knew there was already a mods only posting thread, thats the thread I was hoping it could go on.

Mods would not have to say who, its pretty obvious who, its the person with the words BANNED below their avatar :)

but the why is confussing. It doesnt have to be anything specific. But a general idea would be helpful for everyone, at least for me. So I dont repeat those same mistakes. I want my mistakes to be fresh and new :)

and I dont understand the new banning for a week thing. I have been here almost 2 years and the few bans I have seen were all for good till recently. I am fine with the week bans, I think they are a great tool but I dont understand if its a new policy or if the actions of those getting the week bans are not as bad as those who got the for good bans. I guess we could wait a week and see if the person comes back and if not assume they are banned for good?

I am assuming the guy today and always were banned for making too many threads. I am not sure but they both made alot of threads so I will really watch how many I make so I dont get a week off for bombarding the board with numerous threads :)

No one that I am aware of was banned for simply "making a lot of threads." They have all been banned for either rule violations or personal attacks etc.

Werbung:
Back