Big Oil made big money in 2008

Popeye

Yeah, Big Oil and all the rest of the greedy environmental rapists had it real rough under the Bush Administration. We'll see how they do with Obama...lately I've been noticing gas prices creeping up again. Of course, as we get closer to midterms, I expect Big Oil to attempt to influence the election.

Exxon Mobil shoved aside Wal-Mart Stores to retake the top place on the Fortune 500, proving that Big Oil was king of the economy last year.

Exxon Mobil was the top selling-company in 2008, with nearly $443 billion in revenue, a jump of almost 19% from the prior year. The Irving, Texas-based oil giant was also the most profitable, with earnings of $45.2 billion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/106931/Fortune-500

Werbung:
Yeah, Big Oil and all the rest of the greedy environmental rapists had it real rough under the Bush Administration. We'll see how they do with Obama...lately I've been noticing gas prices creeping up again. Of course, as we get closer to midterms, I expect Big Oil to attempt to influence the election.

So there is a stock that we can depend on. Good to know!

Not sure if you knew this or not Popeye, but gas goes up with demand and declines for the same reason. Gas starts creeping up around spring hits peak around Memorial Day and stays pretty steady through Labor Day then starts declining again. That is also when people start needing gas more because they are going on trips exc. I drive very little from labor day to spring, once spring is here I start going on long weekends, about 7-900 miles RT. I do it almost every other weekend through Labor day then I stop because the weather starts to suck. I guess I am like most people, but supply and demand is what it is. I wish the gas was cheap in the summer too but the more we use the more it cost.

A company turned a profit! :eek: Guess we better immediately raise their taxes. Obviously they were going to turn a large profit when oil was hitting record high prices.

We'll see how they do with Obama...
Progressives are so perverse in their thinking... Punish success and reward incompetence.

You should toss out everything you own that was created through the use of petroleum products... be naked and homeless for all I care but don't use the power of government to drag me down with you.

lately I've been noticing gas prices creeping up again. Of course, as we get closer to midterms, I expect Big Oil to attempt to influence the election.

Prices will not just creep...

Now that gasoline prices have again fallen to around $2 a gallon in the United States, many analysts believe the recent drop in oil demand could be reversed. Some experts suggest that the best way to avoid this is for the government to adopt a minimum tax on gasoline that would prevent prices from dropping below a certain level — say $2.50 or $3 a gallon. New York Obama Times

Raising taxes on the consumer is bad for politicians in the polls though...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Transportation Secretary, in an acrimonious exchange at a Senate hearing on Wednesday, pledged not to raise the federal gasoline tax, the funding source for repairing America's roads and bridges.

"This administration -- in these hard economic times, with so many people out of work -- can ill afford to tell people we're going to raise the gasoline tax," Secretary Ray LaHood said after Sen. George Voinovich, a Republican from Ohio, suggested raising the tax to fund highway repairs.

LaHood's declaration signaled that the Obama administration will take the same stance as former President George W. Bush.

So they come out and pretend like they aren't raising taxes on you, the consumer, and choose instead the insanely popular idea of raising taxes on big bad oil companies. These of course are nothing but indirect taxes still paid for by the consumer...

Here are some of the tax increases that "Big Oil" sees coming,

By way of ending "loopholes" for big oil,

By raising taxes on oil companies themselves,

And introducing the "Cap-N-Trade" system,

All taxes on consumers... yet the lemmings parrot the talking points about how Obama and the Democrats are lowering their taxes. For every penny their direct taxes get "lowered", the indirect taxes will cost them nearly a dime but because of ignorance and deceit, these idiots cheer the "Change" as a welcomed departure from the "failed Bush policies" of tax cuts for the wealthy.

Glossary of terms used,

Direct Tax: A tax placed on the consumer that cannot be passed on to others.

Indirect Tax: A tax that increases the price of a good so that consumers are actually paying the tax by paying more for the products.

Its because people are so incredibly ignorant and covetous that government can raise taxes on the "Wealthy", such as "Big Oil", and be cheered for it when the reality is, its a tax on anyone who uses the product, service or its derivatives.

OH NO! A part of the American economy was successful! Let's attack it, and make them like GM! We can't have businesses being successful and employing people now can we! Kill! Attack! Destroy! American isn't a 3rd world yet, but we can speed up the process!

Another example of blithering idiocy in writing.

Werbung:

you hypocrite!

how MUCH of the computer you are using was made from petroleum by products?
... how much of THAT same computer was made by BIG BUSINESS?

What part of that computer was made by YOU??

that's why you are tied to the porch poor bugger!

The moment you remove EVERY part of BIG OIL from your life - then you have room to cry!

just look at the roof of your place of residence ... bet there is plenty of oil by product there ...

is your STREET concrete or are you enjoying the benefit of BIG OIL with asphalt??

What about the tires that carry you to the other side of town?
or the fuel that propels you transportation?
or the plastic products incorporated into every aspect of your life.

... what a foolish person you are crying about value's and still riding on the gravy train of products produced AGAINST your value's.

you have shown EVERYONE how hollow your commitment is toward your alleged beliefs!

God forbid ...
Exxon Mobil shoved aside WalMart Stores to retake the top place on the Fortune 500

too bad you don't know how to work hard!
You could make a fair wage on oil field work instead of the low wages of WalMart.

The lowest position out in the field pays better than an average WalMart job!​

It really figures your type could resent THAT!

Back