BO strongarming academia on costs

dogtowner

Staff member
read

another one under the bus ?

I'm not sure if he thinks they can just choose to not charge more for no reason or what. But if they are forced to scale back what they do that means negative jobs.

Just one danger of living off the govt teet I guess but I wonder how many will say 'keep it then'. And can he really do without their contributions at this moment ?

interesting

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - President Barack Obama fired a warning at the nation's colleges and universities on Friday, threatening to strip their federal aid if they "jack up tuition" every year and to give the money instead to schools showing restraint and value.

Obama can't proceed, though, without the OK from Congress, where the reaction of Republican lawmakers ranged from muted to skeptical. Higher education leaders worried about the details and the threat of government overreach, and one dismissed it as mere election-year "political theater."

Average tuition and fees at public colleges rose 8.3 percent this year and, with room and board, now exceed $17,000 a year, according to the College Board.

Obama delivered his proposal with campaign flair, mounting a mainstream appeal to young voters and struggling families. He said higher education has become an imperative for success in America, but the cost has grown unrealistic for too many families, and the debt burden unbearable.

"We are putting colleges on notice," Obama told an arena packed with cheering students at the University of Michigan.
"You can't assume that you'll just jack up tuition every single year. If you can't stop tuition from going up, then the funding you get from taxpayers each year will go down."

Obama is targeting only a small part of the financial aid picture - the $3 billion known as campus-based aid that flows through college administrators to students. He is proposing to increase that amount to $10 billion and change how it is distributed to reward schools that hold down costs and ensure that more poor students complete their education.

The bulk of the more than $140 billion in federal grants and loans goes directly to students and would not be affected.

Rising tuition costs have been attributed to a variety of factors, among them a decline in state dollars and competition for the best facilities and professors. Washington's leverage to take on the rising cost of college is limited because American higher education is decentralized, with most student aid following the student. And that's not counting the legislative gridlock.

If you were a betting person, you would not bet on it getting done, simply because the political atmosphere in Washington is so poisonous," said Terry Hartle, senior vice president at the American Council on Education, an organization that represents colleges in Washington.
Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., chairman of the House Education and Workforce Committee, said Obama put forward "interesting ideas that deserve a careful review." But Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., who leads a House panel with jurisdiction over higher education, said Obama's plan should have tackled federal regulations that she said contribute to the problem.

The top Democrat on the House education committee, Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., said Congress has bipartisan concern about the rising costs of college and thinks the president's plan will open up a conversation about the problem. Some Republicans in the past, including Rep. Buck McKeon of California, have offered proposals similar to the president's.

Others were sharper in their critique.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., a former education secretary, questioned whether Obama can enforce any plan that shifts federal aid away from colleges and universities without hurting the students it is meant to help. "The federal government has no business doing this," he said.

Werbung:
read

another one under the bus ?

I'm not sure if he thinks they can just choose to not charge more for no reason or what. But if they are forced to scale back what they do that means negative jobs.

Just one danger of living off the govt teet I guess but I wonder how many will say 'keep it then'. And can he really do without their contributions at this moment ?

interesting

In my opinion, one of the primary reasons that tuition costs continue to rise is the ease in which students are able to obtain loans (mostly government backed loans) to attend college. In my opinion, this has created an artificial demand and we are seeing the result in rising costs.

If we want to get serious about controlling education costs -- the first step needs to be to get the government out of the student loan business in my opinion.

If we want to get serious about controlling education costs -- the first step needs to be to get the government out of the student loan business...
Agreed... But in all likelihood we will go in the exact opposite direction of such a rational, fiscally sound policy.

Werbung:
Back