Catholic Church closes London's gay-friendly "Soho Masses"

steveox

(Reuters) - The Catholic Church will stop gay-friendly Masses in the central London church that has held them for the past six years, London's archbishop said on Wednesday.

The 18th-century church in Soho, the heart of London's gay scene, has been hosting the twice-monthly Masses with the support of the local Church hierarchy, but Archbishop Vincent Nichols said in a statement that gay Catholics should attend Mass in their local parishes rather going to separate services.

"The Mass is always to retain its essential character as the highest prayer of the whole Church," Nichols said, stressing there would still be pastoral care to help gay Catholics "take a full part in the life of the Church."

The Vatican teaches that gay sex is sinful but homosexuals deserve respect.
The decision on the "Soho Masses" came after sharp criticism of same-sex marriage by Pope Benedict and bishops in Britain and France, where the governments plan to legalize gay nuptials.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-church-closes-londons-gay-friendly-soho-masses-191855844.html

The Pope made it perfectly clear that homosexuality will not be tolerated in the catholic church. Now suppose if this happened in America? The ACLU will be up in arms about it.

Werbung:
(Reuters) - The Catholic Church will stop gay-friendly Masses in the central London church that has held them for the past six years, London's archbishop said on Wednesday.

The 18th-century church in Soho, the heart of London's gay scene, has been hosting the twice-monthly Masses with the support of the local Church hierarchy, but Archbishop Vincent Nichols said in a statement that gay Catholics should attend Mass in their local parishes rather going to separate services.

"The Mass is always to retain its essential character as the highest prayer of the whole Church," Nichols said, stressing there would still be pastoral care to help gay Catholics "take a full part in the life of the Church."

The decision on the "Soho Masses" came after sharp criticism of same-sex marriage by Pope Benedict and bishops in Britain and France, where the governments plan to legalize gay nuptials.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-church-closes-londons-gay-friendly-soho-masses-191855844.html

The Pope made it perfectly clear that homosexuality will not be tolerated in the catholic church. Now suppose if this happened in America? The ACLU will be up in arms about it.

Dumb move!
I am always amazed how the Catholic Church hierarchy still believe that they can be the tail that wags the dog! No wonder they are losing parishioners and that their dogmas are becoming increasingly less meaningful to even their followers!

So. . .there were places that were welcoming to gay people, in a society that is relatively gay friendly. . .and now they have been cut out from the Catholic flock. . .
How likely is it that those people will feel comfortable (or be welcomed) by non-gay friendly parishes? Not very likely. . .so, those gay people who feel the need to belong to a Church will migrate toward gay friendly churches. . . probably the Anglican Church.

The Catholic Church and the Pope should worry a lot more about being non-judgmental and accepting than about maintaining bigoted views that pushes people away!

Open did you read the post ?

The point of the outreach was to demonstrate that the flock wanted them. Time to join the big tent of the Body of Christ.

Steve I don't know of any masses held for Gay's in America

me either but its possible that they have done outreach such as the english guys have.

for a group so desireous of inclusion it would seem like a real positive to be wanted. thst the rcc hasnt seemed like the friendliest denomination this represents a big shift.

the anglican (Episcopal) churches around here made big efforts years ago to lay down the welcome mat.

Well, I know of a Church, Inner Light Ministry non-denominational whose pastor is a Black, Lesbian, minister. Her wife is a Black singer and they have grown that non-denominational church from just a handful of attendees in the late 1990's to thousands of parishioners today.

ALL denominations, all sexual orientations, all races are welcome. And the minister is amazingly inspirational (in her "day job" she is actually a motivational speaker who travels throughout the US to give workshop to the top high tech corporations, and seminar on how to motivate high skill, high intellect workers in tomorrow's industry).
Obviously, couples' blessings are frequent, and when gay marriages are once again legal in California (which I am certain will happen within the next 4 years), gay marriages will be performed at the church, by Rev. Deborah Johnson.

I loved attending the services, because it was based not on DOGMAS, but on relationship between GOD and each person, about seeing through the "physical frame" of a person to his/her spiritual and intellectual potential, and about how to maximize that potential through positive energy.

Here is part of their mission statements:
About Inner Light Ministries

Inner Light Ministries is a nondenominational religious nonprofit organization founded in January, 1997 by Rev. Deborah Johnson. It was conceived as an outreach ministry dedicated to healing, transformation, and teaching the practical application of Universal Spiritual Principles. It has quickly grown into a dynamic umbrella ministry with multiple ministries active within it. Ongoing programs include Sunday Services and the Education Ministry which provides workshops and on-going classes.
While it is a spiritual community, Inner Light Ministries recognizes that it is a member of the larger worldwide spiritual community.
It is not the intent of ILM to provide a “safe harbor” for any one particular socio-demographic profile. Diversity in terms of age, race, class, spiritual background, gender, sexuality, marital status, physical abilities, etc. is encouraged and valued. Appropriate support will be given to assist people in reconciling their “issues” so that they may be more spiritually available.
http://www.innerlightministries.com/about-us

I tried to answer this yesterday but my reply has disappear. I think there are many Masses and ser4vices attended by gays. As you said the Pope respects gays. Where this goes to the extent of supporting sexual relations betwen them this is another question

Werbung:
But Episcopal Churches preaches homosexulity. If they believe in the Bible then they must not read ALL OF IT! I mean they havent read EVERY WORD in the bible

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/us/episcopal-same-sex-unions/index.html

well its like this, when the church is founded on the basis of some king wanting to "marry" some other chick and the Pope saying 'no', its possible for it to be fast and loose over other things as well.

that being said, the Anglican Communion is trying to find a way to not spit apart as there are many parts of it that do take the Bible seriously and are fed up with the American church (mainly). being episcopa myself I've been watching this little passion play unfold over the decades.

Back