Challenge to Popeye and berreal

USMC the Almighty

Since you guys have arrived at House of Politics, I have only seen you criticize and oppose current policies and conservative philosophies. Now that you both have sufficiently established that you are against the conservative philosophy and our current President, I would like to see you two lay out your own philosophies as clearly and articulately as you can.

Note that describing your own philosophy should not include the words "sheep", "Fox News", "Betray-Us", "yee-haw" or any other cute left-wing slogans you've picked up from moveon.org. Instead, I ask that you just present your philosophy in as positive manner as possible without going on a rant about the other side.

I would also like to ask that our other resident liberals (9sublime, vyo, top gun, Coyote, et al.) hold off for a bit until these two have answered my challenge. You guys have been around a while and I feel as though I've got a bit of a better handle on your political philosophies than popeye and berreal.

Werbung:
Since you guys have arrived at House of Politics, I have only seen you criticize and oppose current policies and conservative philosophies. Now that you both have sufficiently established that you are against the conservative philosophy and our current President, I would like to see you two lay out your own philosophies as clearly and articulately as you can.

Note that describing your own philosophy should not include the words "sheep", "Fox News", "Betray-Us", "yee-haw" or any other cute left-wing slogans you've picked up from moveon.org. Instead, I ask that you just present your philosophy in as positive manner as possible without going on a rant about the other side.

I would also like to ask that our other resident liberals (9sublime, vyo, top gun, Coyote, et al.) hold off for a bit until these two have answered my challenge. You guys have been around a while and I feel as though I've got a bit of a better handle on your political philosophies than popeye and berreal.
Though I have a definite sense of being baited, I'll try to comply with your request. Just keep in mind I'm writing this off the top of my head, so bear with me. I believe in diplomacy over intervention, until there's no other choice. Wars kill innocent people and animals, for that matter, and all life is precious. That's ALL LIFE not just Americans. Sure, defend the country but you can do so without spending 532.8 billion for fiscal year 2007. Let's put some of those billions towards helping the 13% of Americans who live below the poverty line. Not necessarily welfare, but the proper social programs could be developed and funded adequately. My point is, let's give everyone, regardless of who they are, an equal chance at the so called American dream. I believe strongly in the separation of church and state, as I believe in all amendments to the constitution. Religion has no business even influencing government in any way. I believe strongly in abortion rights, gay rights,the legalization of drugs, I am against gun control. You get the picture, if it's not physically hurting anybody else, it should be accepted and legal. I believe most people have a moral compass that tells them right from wrong without the interference of self righteous religious zealots or foolish victimless laws. For those few who for, whatever reason, lack that moral compass, lock them up and throw away the key. Also, I am not against the death penalty, as long a very high standard of guilt is met, such as DNA evidence. Overall I would consider myself to be a libertarian liberal, trying to take the best from both, though I sometimes fail. You know, just recently I read a post that ridiculed the concept of a utopia. Maybe utopia can't be reached, but what's wrong with striving for it?

Well written Popeye. I agree with much of what you say and you bellied up to the challenge laid down. I was apart of the thread that said utopia wont work, in my eyes it is not so much that we shouldnt strive for it, It is a matter of coming to realise that overwhelmingly, in our current society and history, utopia could be reached, but only at the expense of someone else. Which then defies utopia IMO.

Werbung:
Though I have a definite sense of being baited, I'll try to comply with your request. Just keep in mind I'm writing this off the top of my head, so bear with me. I believe in diplomacy over intervention, until there's no other choice. Wars kill innocent people and animals, for that matter, and all life is precious. That's ALL LIFE not just Americans. Sure, defend the country but you can do so without spending 532.8 billion for fiscal year 2007. Let's put some of those billions towards helping the 13% of Americans who live below the poverty line. Not necessarily welfare, but the proper social programs could be developed and funded adequately. My point is, let's give everyone, regardless of who they are, an equal chance at the so called American dream. I believe strongly in the separation of church and state, as I believe in all amendments to the constitution. Religion has no business even influencing government in any way. I believe strongly in abortion rights, gay rights,the legalization of drugs, I am against gun control. You get the picture, if it's not physically hurting anybody else, it should be accepted and legal. I believe most people have a moral compass that tells them right from wrong without the interference of self righteous religious zealots or foolish victimless laws. For those few who for, whatever reason, lack that moral compass, lock them up and throw away the key. Also, I am not against the death penalty, as long a very high standard of guilt is met, such as DNA evidence. Overall I would consider myself to be a libertarian liberal, trying to take the best from both, though I sometimes fail. You know, just recently I read a post that ridiculed the concept of a utopia. Maybe utopia can't be reached, but what's wrong with striving for it?

You answered my challenge but I'm going to try and sum it up succinctly and clearly here. Let me know if you believe I've misrepresented your argument:

(1) diplomacy over interventionism
(2) gov't aid for people below poverty line
(3) equal opportunity
(4) separation of church and state
(5) Constitution (amendments)
(6) abortion, gays, etc.
(7) strive for utopia

Back