Change? What change?

PLC1

Staff member
We've elected one of the most polarizing and controversial presidents in recent memory, one who ran on a platform of "hope and change." We elected a Democrat majority in both houses of Congress just to speed things along.

So, what has changed?

Right off hand, I can think of three things:

The previous pres would never have advocated health care reform. Now, we have a package that no one understands, that is unlikely to change things nearly as much as its advocates or detractors think it will, but that no one seems to understand.

The previous pres was adamantly pro life, while this one is equally pro choice. The president can't do anything about abortion one way or the other, so what does it matter?

We are not, at least as far as we know, conducting "enhanced interrogation." Whether the practice has ended or just gone underground is debatable.

Where are all of the radical changes that the pro Obama people rave about, and the antis rant about? We still have unending wars going on, still are spending far too much, still are growing government, have passed two different government bailout bills, one under Bush, one under obama, each of which exceeds the basic annual military budget.:eek:

Where is the change?

Werbung:
Here it is:

1. England is wondering whether it is a good idea to be an ally of America.
2. Instead of giving a no bid contract to Halliburton, Obama gave a no bid contract to KBR, former sub. of Halliburton. Oh, wait a minute, that hasn't changed...nevermind that one.
3. Democratic senators can now physically assault citizens.
4. Israel wonders if it has been abandoned by Hussein Obama.
5. The most powerful man on earth "bows" to other leaders.

Actually, quite a bit has changed, in a very short period of time.

Here it is:

1. England is wondering whether it is a good idea to be an ally of America.

And they didn't wonder the same thing when the invasion of Iraq was launched?

2. Instead of giving a no bid contract to Halliburton, Obama gave a no bid contract to KBR, former sub. of Halliburton. Oh, wait a minute, that hasn't changed...nevermind that one.

Correct. That particular corrupt policy is still in place.

And, that never happened before?

Based on..... what again? Obama's Muslim heritage, perhaps?

5. The most powerful man on earth "bows" to other leaders.

Hardly. He does try to respect other nations' customs, as did his predecessor.

Actually, quite a bit has changed, in a very short period of time.

Actually, the main change has been the letter R to the letter D.

5. The most powerful man on earth "bows" to other leaders..
....if you substitute "bows" for "listens" then you have a major change in that relationships with your allies and those that once mistrusted the states may have become less entrenched - international diplomatic ties may I suggest have changed for the better.

I think Obama may understand that it is not a sign of weakness when you try and have dialogue with difficult neighbours. I guess Obama seems to understand that his silky tongue and blairite rhetoric may be an enticing alternative to America lumbering through the world with Bush applying his inarticulate and hamfisted view on life?

I guess Obama seems to understand that his silky tongue and blairite rhetoric may be an enticing alternative to America lumbering through the world with Bush applying his inarticulate and hamfisted view on life?

Lol. Well then it's a good thing that the tide seems to be turning and the American people aren't foolish enough to rely on smooth talk and rhetoric. He's got trouble at home. Pray for him if you love him.... Or maybe suggest that he become a minister.....

hamfisted view on life?

How's that Sharia law stuff workin' for ya in Europe? Lol.

And they didn't wonder the same thing when the invasion of Iraq was launched?
Bush didn't PERSONALY insult them as Obama did with the return of the bust of Churchill and now his attack on B.P.

And, that never happened before?
Lol. OMG, has it? I wasn't aware that dem senators assaulted citizens in the 21st century. Learn something new every day.

Based on..... what again? Obama's Muslim heritage, perhaps?

Ask Israel....

Actually, the main change has been the letter R to the letter D

Ah sweet November. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the Republicans in power again either. The two party system is obsolete, just like certain moral compunctions that libs seem to think went out with the last century. I prefer the letter "I". But Obama is right, it's time for "change". Congress in general needs to be reined in, and the dems of the country won't do it because need the federal government to tell them how to live. Pelosi has to go down. Reid has to get out. Boxer, out. Barney Frank, out. Charles Schumer, out. Feinstein, out. Those are my primary choices for career sacrifice on the alter of preservation of personal liberties. I invite candidates from the other side too. All anyone in Congress is concerned about is keeping THEIR job and power.

Ah sweet November. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the Republicans in power again either. The two party system is obsolete, just like certain moral compunctions that libs seem to think went out with the last century. I prefer the letter "I". But Obama is right, it's time for "change". Congress in general needs to be reined in, and the dems of the country won't do it because need the federal government to tell them how to live. Pelosi has to go down. Reid has to get out. Boxer, out. Barney Frank, out. Charles Schumer, out. Feinstein, out. Those are my primary choices for career sacrifice on the alter of preservation of personal liberties. I invite candidates from the other side too. All anyone in Congress is concerned about is keeping THEIR job and power.

Most of that makes a lot of sense. Not only are congresscritters mainly interested in staying in power, the parties are also mainly interested in either getting or in keeping power. What we really need, as you said, is more I instead of R and D. The other thing we need are term limits. Politics should be a limited term of public service, not a career.

As for "sweet November", we may see the D changed back to R, at least in some instances, but don't expect any real changes.

Yes, Congress, the federal government in general needs to be reined in. The Democrats won't do it, I agree. Do you seriously think that the Republicans will?

Lol. Well then it's a good thing that the tide seems to be turning and the American people aren't foolish enough to rely on smooth talk and rhetoric. He's got trouble at home. Pray for him if you love him.... Or maybe suggest that he become a minister.....

Smooth talk and rhetoric beats ham fisted bumbling any day. No one ever sold a car or a contract by being bumbling and inarticulate, nor by refusing to listen to the customer. I think maybe Scotsman put his finger on one real change, one that is more obvious to people on the outside of America looking in than it is to those of us who live here.

....if you substitute "bows" for "listens" then you have a major change in that relationships with your allies and those that once mistrusted the states may have become less entrenched - international diplomatic ties may I suggest have changed for the better.

I think Obama may understand that it is not a sign of weakness when you try and have dialogue with difficult neighbours. I guess Obama seems to understand that his silky tongue and blairite rhetoric may be an enticing alternative to America lumbering through the world with Bush applying his inarticulate and hamfisted view on life?

someone is just mad he did not kiss the Saudies like Bush...

We've elected one of the most polarizing and controversial presidents in recent memory, one who ran on a platform of "hope and change." We elected a Democrat majority in both houses of Congress just to speed things along.

So, what has changed?

Right off hand, I can think of three things:

The previous pres would never have advocated health care reform. Now, we have a package that no one understands, that is unlikely to change things nearly as much as its advocates or detractors think it will, but that no one seems to understand.

The previous pres was adamantly pro life, while this one is equally pro choice. The president can't do anything about abortion one way or the other, so what does it matter?

We are not, at least as far as we know, conducting "enhanced interrogation." Whether the practice has ended or just gone underground is debatable.

Where are all of the radical changes that the pro Obama people rave about, and the antis rant about? We still have unending wars going on, still are spending far too much, still are growing government, have passed two different government bailout bills, one under Bush, one under obama, each of which exceeds the basic annual military budget.:eek:

Where is the change?

I was always under the impression that you liked obama and voted for him.

He is delivering exactly what I expected of him.

I was always under the impression that you liked obama and voted for him.

He is delivering exactly what I expected of him.

I dislike Obama slightly less than I disliked Bush. Obama is at least articulate, and, as Scotsman says, willing to listen to allies.

Where McCain would have stood is an unknown, and will remain so now.

Did you really expect Obama to continue the same policies of the last administration?

I dislike Obama slightly less than I disliked Bush. Obama is at least articulate, and, as Scotsman says, willing to listen to allies.

Where McCain would have stood is an unknown, and will remain so now.
Did you really expect Obama to continue the same policies of the last administration?

Yes, the war ones, the patriot act, spying exc. I am sure someone some place is being tortured by liberal standards too.

Werbung:
So, you weren't taken in by the ranting about how he would "cut and run" from Iraq and Afganistan. Good for you.

He never said he would cut and run from Afghanistan, he said that is where he thought we should be and he escalated things there just as he said he would. so there is nothing to be surprised about, but all my obama supporting friends are all mad about it and I dont get why, its a promise he made and kept.

He said he would close gitmo but I knew he could not and I knew the left would not hold him to it and he did not and they are not, i also knew he couldn't get us out of Iraq as fast as he kept saying he would and he did not and I knew the left would not hold him to it and they are not.

I knew he would do nothing about Iran and north korea and he is not :)

I knew he would make race relations worse and he has, I knew he would make President Bush's spending look like childs play and he did and I knew the left would say nothing about it and they dont :)

Everything he is doing with healthcare, taxing but giving nothing for it, I knew he would do that too and his energy policy of taxing us more and pushing tax and cap. I knew he would try for that.

Back