Cheaper to sign up for Obamacare, or to pay the penalty and sign up only when you get si

Little-Acorn

Reports are coming out now that say the cheapest Obamacare plan for a family of four, costs around $20,000.

If that family does not sign up for Obamacare, and just pays the penalty it calls for, (oops, the Supremes say that's a "tax" now)... then how much to they pay?

BTW, they pay the penalty only if they are due an Income Tax refund on April 15, right? If they have to write the govt a check on April 15 instead, then the govt can't charge them that Obamacare penalty.

So, is that family of 4 better off financially if they don't sign up for Obamacare? And if one of them does get sick or injured, then they can sign up at that point, and the Obamacare insurance company must take them, even though the sickness or injury is now a "pre-existing condition".

So, what's the best deal, dollar-wise? Pay $20,000 for Obamacare, or pay only the penalty on April 15 (which might be zero), and then sign up later if you get sick or injured and pay only that fraction of the $20,000? After you are cured, then of course you drop the Obamacare policy immediately, to minimize what you pay... until the next time you get sick.

Werbung:
Yes this too was pointed out while BO was bydy ramming it down our throats. It already happened in Hawaii amd Mass.

some.people cant remove their rose colored glasses

I wish you guys would make up your mind...First you pretend no one has no health care in the US...
Then you bitch that making people with out health care that can afford it should not be forced to
Then you get mad that someone could not pay for it and pay a fine...and then just get insurance when they need it
But you where fine with no fine, and just getting care without health care and passing the bill on before...

And the plan going into place was designed and first put in place by Republicans ( both in the 90s when it was started and by Mitt in Mass)

And you guys have what for a plan still? One that covers all, lowers costs, and forces no one to buy it, has no government...and also Deals with the realistic fact that is someone is dying at the ER...they are not going to turn them away for lack of health care.

No you have one plan....Bitch about all other plans/

I wish you guys would make up your mind...First you pretend no one has no health care in the US...
Then you bitch that making people with out health care that can afford it should not be forced to
Then you get mad that someone could not pay for it and pay a fine...and then just get insurance when they need it
But you where fine with no fine, and just getting care without health care and passing the bill on before...

And the plan going into place was designed and first put in place by Republicans ( both in the 90s when it was started and by Mitt in Mass)

And you guys have what for a plan still? One that covers all, lowers costs, and forces no one to buy it, has no government...and also Deals with the realistic fact that is someone is dying at the ER...they are not going to turn them away for lack of health care.

No you have one plan....Bitch about all other plans/

you have forgotten an important point in your "comparison", all the obamacare plan does to differentiate itself is to add a a massive new layer of overhead on a process that will produce similar results in terms of actual care. less for more, theres a winner for sure.

so here is a plan you should love

just have the government buy catastrophic policys for po folk from commercial providers. its closer to adding actual jobs (wouldnt that be nice) and a lot cheaper to boot.

This is California' silver plan costs. (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) The higher the income and the higher the plan the more it costs. It doesn't show the Hospital visit copay which is $250.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/13/news/economy/obamacare-affordable/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2

View attachment 403

Question. I just read your link and unless I missed it the plans aren't assigned based upon income, the purchaser makes a choice as to which plan to purchase based upon premiums and deductibles. In California are your choices limited based upon income?

Question. I just read your link and unless I missed it the plans aren't assigned based upon income, the purchaser makes a choice as to which plan to purchase based upon premiums and deductibles. In California are your choices limited based upon income?

In Calif., if you do not have insurance through your employer, you have to buy it through the exchange. That is mandated by Obamacare for all states. The exchange costs are based on your income and which plan you chose. The four plans, also mandated by Obamacare, all have the same coverage, it's only the costs that are variable.

The more money you make, the higher the cost of the insurance through the exchange.

Currently, employer paid insurance is not affected by what a person makes. The costs are based on age and how many dependents you have covered through your employer. If an employee pays a portion of their insurance through their employer, I'm not sure how that is going to be based to meet Obamacare requirements. Also, my understanding is that if your employer does have a plan, you must use it, and cannot use the exchange, but I'm not sure about that.

Werbung:
The more money you make, the higher the cost of the insurance through the exchange.

I just re-read your article and went on Google to see what else I could find. Technically the above quote seems to be incorrect. A better way to word it might be "The further below 400% of the poverty line you are, the bigger subsidy you will receive." But on the other hand most Americans are below 400% of the poverty line so you're right too. I just love easy to understand laws, don't you?

You are aware that a link within your link leads to an article talking about how Obamacare premiums are lower than originally thought? I thought that was funny.

Back