Comments on the chilean miners rescue

Rick

- They have pooled TV cameras mounted on a platform to look down at the miners being brought up. Has anyone but me noticed how the chilean president has used this as a PR stunt for himself? Every time they brought up a miner, the president hugs the miner with his (the president's) face to the cameras, and the miners back to the camera. I could see the president several times, but not the miners. pretty disgusting.

- Why isn't all minig done with robots nowadays? Surely we have the technology. Robots could operate in all kinds of conditions miners can't, even under water.

Werbung:
Successful Rescue in Chile

A great victory for all, but most of all the working men who displayed courage and discipline in the face of great odds to pull off a victory that we will probably remember for the rest of our lives.

Well done !!!

Comrade Stalin

Re: Successful Rescue in Chile

A great victory for all, but most of all the working men who displayed courage and discipline in the face of great odds to pull off a victory that we will probably remember for the rest of our lives.

Well done !!!

Comrade Stalin

Agreed.

- They have pooled TV cameras mounted on a platform to look down at the miners being brought up. Has anyone but me noticed how the chilean president has used this as a PR stunt for himself? Every time they brought up a miner, the president hugs the miner with his (the president's) face to the cameras, and the miners back to the camera. I could see the president several times, but not the miners. pretty disgusting.

- Why isn't all minig done with robots nowadays? Surely we have the technology. Robots could operate in all kinds of conditions miners can't, even under water.

Robots can't drill the holes for the charges and then set them, and someone has to maintain the equipment. Plus, this is Chile we are talking about. The mine was on the verge of bankruptcy before the accident occurred.

...and in Stalin's USSR all the miners and their rescuers would be tortured and murdered because the little retard from Gori feared them...And yet, some people living today actually adore the cowardly blood thirsty despot.

Why paranoid Stalin executed Russia's heroes of the Nazi siege of Leningrad

By Claudia Joseph

Sunday, 4 August 2002
For 52 years the fate of the Communist leaders who rallied the people during the Germans' siege of Leningrad has remained hidden in Soviet documents. While the world marvelled that the residents of Leningrad had survived the 900-day siege at the height of the Second World War, its heroes vanished without trace.

For 52 years the fate of the Communist leaders who rallied the people during the Germans' siege of Leningrad has remained hidden in Soviet documents. While the world marvelled that the residents of Leningrad had survived the 900-day siege at the height of the Second World War, its heroes vanished without trace.

Now a BBC documentary team has seen Russian archives and discovered that Stalin led a witch-hunt after the war to purge the party of Leningraders. He had more than 4,000 people arrested, and executed the most senior officials. Stalin's role is revealed for the first time in the BBC2 programme Timewatch – Stalin and the Betrayal of Leningrad – on Friday.

Lev Voznesensky, nephew of a high-ranking official, who saw 23 members of his family arrested, is one of the few people who has seen the files. "There is no doubt that Stalin managed the Leningrad Affair," he says.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...es-of-the-nazi-siege-of-leningrad-638799.html

Robots can't drill the holes for the charges and then set them, and someone has to maintain the equipment. Plus, this is Chile we are talking about. The mine was on the verge of bankruptcy before the accident occurred.

The poverty is a good argument, but don't tell me robots couldn't be made to drill. I could probably do that in my garage, it's obviously within current technical capabilities.

The poverty is a good argument, but don't tell me robots couldn't be made to drill. I could probably do that in my garage, it's obviously within current technical capabilities.

There is no robotic drilling rig on the market that I am aware of that can aqdequately and efficiently replace an experienced drilling crew. I've worked around drill rigs for over 20 years, and I know that there are too many things that can go wrong, too many uncertainities involved in drilling to rely on robotics. Not to mention the huge expense of designing and mass producing such a machine that needs to work efficiently, and with minimal downtime. And someone (i.e., a geologist) has to be there to log the boring, otherwise, you don't know what you are drilling into and when to stop. It is a very complex process. Don't get me wrong, I too know how dangerous drilling can be. It's one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet. So if someone could design a rig that could replace the crew so they wouldn't have to place themselves in danger, that would be great. But I don't think it is going to happen in my lifetime.

I don't think robot technology is quit at that point yet, but it's getting there. When it does, there will be one less employment opportunity.

As for the president of Chile, he is a politician after all. What politician from any nation is going to ignore an opportunity for publicity?

I don't think robot technology is quit at that point yet, but it's getting there. When it does, there will be one less employment opportunity.

As for the president of Chile, he is a politician after all. What politician from any nation is going to ignore an opportunity for publicity?

True, but I think it is disgusting when done in such a blatant and repulsive way under such dire circumstances.

True, but I think it is disgusting when done in such a blatant and repulsive way under such dire circumstances.

If being disgusting is a way to votes, a pol will be disgusting.

Could a butterfly have saved the miners' lives?

This is an interesting aside:

Mining consultant Miguel Fortt is not given to flights of fancy. He says white butterflies flutter around purple flowers that blossom in the desert early in the morning, but they rarely fly deep into a mineshaft. He says the two miners slowed down to observe the butterfly and that saved them from driving into rockfalls triggered by the first cave-in.

...and in Stalin's USSR all the miners and their rescuers would be tortured and murdered because the little retard from Gori feared them...And yet, some people living today actually adore the cowardly blood thirsty despot.

Yes, it is much better in the capitalist Chili. When a mine inspector was asked what the owners did when he pointed out the cracks that were showing up in the mine shaft prior to the cave in, he replied: "Nada" (nothing). Yes, it is clear that capitalist owners of the mine are more concerned with the safety of workers than was the communist system.

Werbung:

Erm, the USSR? No longer exists.

Yeah and I am certain you rue the day it died.

Obama_Lenin_Phone.jpg

Back