Constitutional reform of congress

CHAINSAW

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

I am sending this to virtually all my close friends and relatives and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, We all should be able to agree upon this idea. The proposal is to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (but not the incumbents).

I know many of you will say, "this is impossible." Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.
We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.. Please add any ideas on how to get this done.

Congressional Reform Act of 2010

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:
A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans..

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people..

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective immediately upon ratification of the law.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Werbung:
Much of this was proposed in the Contract with America some years ago and the Dems/Libs worked overtime to discredit it.

Now Senator DeMint and a few other R senators have proposed term limits, but again the Dems will never allow it and the lib MSM has hardly mentioned it. The Rs deserve credit for this effort.

Why are Dems so intolerant? Rhetorical question...

GOP senators push for term limits
By Mark Preston, CNN Political Editor
November 11, 2009 9:45 a.m. ESTWashington (CNN) -- A handful of Republican senators have proposed a constitutional amendment to limit how long a person may serve in Congress.

Two-thirds of the House and Senate would need to approve the amendment -- a stumbling block that short-circuited the idea 14 years ago. The new proposal echoes the Citizen Legislature Act, part of the original Contract with America proposed by Republicans before they won control of Congress in 1994.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/11/congress.term.limits/

Sounds good to me.
Thanks

Sure thing.

These posts were also never considered to be full time jobs. Having to go back home to be available to one's constituants was supposed to happen.

Eliminate this giagantic bundling of legislation and flat out eliminate all the nonsense stuff and you will eliminate much of whatthey fiddle around with all day long.

While I appreciate term limits and the bnenefit they bring, unless you eliminate money from campaigning these guys will be comodities to be bought and sold. I do NOT mean federal money for campaigning, I mean NO money from anyone. The media can publish your platform and the public can be spared the ads and junk mail.

It has been alledged that with Term Limits on Congress, a lot of the money will go by the way side. I am not particularly sure that would happen, since dirt-bags breed dirt-bags and money is the big greaser in Wshington D.C. (District of Corruption)
Happy New Year to ALL!

Sounds good.

Add a repeal of the 17th Amendment.

What is your issue with the 17th? The fact that a Governor can appoint someone to an open Senate seat?
Alaska has been through this issue and had a state ballot measure to have any vacancies more than I think 120 days would go to a special election.

I know other states have similar measures as well.

I know many of you will say, "this is impossible." Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.
We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.. Please add any ideas on how to get this done.

I think those would be fair term limits. I know my state has been a major benefactor in receiving federal "pork" dollars largely coming from a very senior and powerful Senator. As someone who has more or less personally benefitted from these efforts I would still support a term limit. I think it might be wise to allow for someone to serve in the House for 4 terms and the Senate for 2, assuming they can win election.
A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
Fair enough, but I would rather pay them a government pension and disallow them from becoming high powered lobbyists.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

I would generally support these efforts. I would like to think that SocSec will be available when I reach retirement age. But I will also be utilizing other measures of capital available to me at that time. Like the vast majority of members of Congress current and past. What concerns me is them being able to buy stock or accepting employment that was the result of, or considered for future influence of actions of the Congressional bodies.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lowe of CPI or 3%.
I would agree. Except you and I probably disagree on the pay grades of members of Congress. I think it should be considerably higher in an effort to attract the most qualified people. I think the President should be paid at least a million a year(no matter what party) and I think Senators in the neighborhood of 750k and Reps somewhere afterwards, I also think the salaries of the advisors and staff should be increased to better reflect one's value in the private sector and again to compete for the best and brightest.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
Well I generally support a public option. So I think it would be necessary to have members of Congress both past and present to be included.
No objection from me.
8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective immediately upon ratification of the law.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.
At this point, I dont think it would be necessary to change any existing "contracts" I dont support stripping away the otherwise legal retirements of people from whatever source. This would also largely fail in front of most courts as being an Ex Post Defacto.

What is your issue with the 17th? The fact that a Governor can appoint someone to an open Senate seat?
Alaska has been through this issue and had a state ballot measure to have any vacancies more than I think 120 days would go to a special election.

I know other states have similar measures as well.

We have popular vote for House, they represent the people in reasonable numbers. The Senate was to represent the state as a whole and offer balance to the local concerns with a broader view.

How the states chose to do this is up to them. The main thing is perspective, that old checks and balances thang.

It has been alledged that with Term Limits on Congress, a lot of the money will go by the way side. I am not particularly sure that would happen, since dirt-bags breed dirt-bags and money is the big greaser in Wshington D.C. (District of Corruption)
Happy New Year to ALL!

The money wont change which is kind of why I dont think that this alone is enough to change the system.

Excellent IDEA...I copied the suggestions and sent it along to my local representatives and one to BOB DOLE just for Sh!ts & Grins...didn't know if I should have included a LINK for the originator/author or not...is there one?

Funny...most of this was in the Contract with America. Most certainly you and all libs hated that proposal because it was promoted by Rs/Newt Gingrich.

Did you know this or are you uninformed? Or, are you actually trying to find answers rather than just being a Dem partisan?

The money wont change which is kind of why I dont think that this alone is enough to change the system.

If the French can make changes to their election process {given that they love to have an audience} but they are limited to 15 minutes of media air time and X amount of total days for stumping for their specific ideology and promises...you don't think that we could get some form of election process pushed through to change our current over the top cost/length of election process?

If the French can make changes to their election process {given that they love to have an audience} but they are limited to 15 minutes of media air time and X amount of total days for stumping for their specific ideology and promises...you don't think that we could get some form of election process pushed through to change our current over the top cost/length of election process?

They seem to have a reasonable concept.

But I seriously doubt Congress would so much as consider it. All they ever do is strengthen the power of the incumbant for obvious reasons.

We're reduced to who offers a better package of vote buying as opposed to who has better ideas. I'm afraid America doesn't even want anything to change, people like being stroked too much.

Werbung:

I am sending this to virtually all my close friends and relatives and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, We all should be able to agree upon this idea. The proposal is to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (but not the incumbents).

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

Quickest and Fairest way to Protect America from a Radical Leftist Congress,
DO NOT ELECT ANY RADICAL LEFTIST from ANY PARTY!!! We must make democrats and other leftist an ENDANGERED SPECIES as far as holding any political office is concerned. WE stamped out Plague in America, why not do the same with radical leftist!! America's Health depends on it!!
VOTE in 2010 to go CONSERVATIVE regardless of PARTY!!

Back