Copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Please adhere copyright laws in the forum!

Its illegal to quote text from other websites without providing a citation to the original article! Additionally you have to limit what you use to a somewhat ambigulously worded sample (a couple paragraphs seems to be a rule of thumb. Specific permission from the copywrite holder is the exception.

Werbung:
Please adhere copyright laws in the forum!

Its illegal to quote text from other websites without providing a citation to the original article! Additionally you have to limit what you use to a somewhat ambigulously worded sample (a couple paragraphs seems to be a rule of thumb. Specific permission from the copywrite holder is the exception.

Actually, you're wrong - writing in the public domain (newspapers, magazines, etc.) is NOT copyright protected, and therefore, can be quoted without attribution. This has been extended to include articles written on the web. Generally speaking, this is not ever an issue unless you quote from a published book that has a copyright statement prohibiting reproduction, and provides specific direction on how to obtain permission to reproduce the copyrighted document. Since the vast majority of posts here are quoting blogs and news sites (none of which have ever had a copyright statement, I don't think), this would seem to be a non-issue.

You got bad legal advice somewhere. You need to contact your attorney.

If you wish to limit the size of your posts, that is certainly within your purview.

But, since we know that most users are too lazy to actually go read a referenced article, I would suggest you are significantly inhibiting the quality of discussion. We already have enough trouble with people who THINK they know what the article is going to say just from the headline - as well as those who seem to be incapable of reading an article from an unbiased point of view - it doesn't seem logical to contribute to the ignorance.

Its much more complicated than you think. The US copyright office says on its website:

“Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances.”
“If you use a copyrighted work without authorization, the owner may be entitled to bring an infringement action against you. There are circumstances under the fair use doctrine where a quote or a sample may be used without permission. However, in cases of doubt, the Copyright Office recommends that permission be obtained.”

And its not only about the US copyright but also about the owner of the forum, me. And I (and in consequence all users) have to adhere to much stricter copyright laws (right to quote,

So please, follow the rules and quote only a small part of an article. Everyone is able to click on a link to read an article in full.

Its much more complicated than you think. The US copyright office says on its website:

And its not only about the US copyright but also about the owner of the forum, me. And I (and in consequence all users) have to adhere to much stricter copyright laws (right to quote,

So please, follow the rules and quote only a small part of an article. Everyone is able to click on a link to read an article in full.

I'll be moving on .... clearly, this is about you and not about the members. Please remove my account.

I'll be moving on .... clearly, this is about you and not about the members. Please remove my account.
Have you ever been sued by someone with deeper pockets than you when you were clearly in the right? When you know you could easily win the case if taken to court? Nothing to worry about right? Wrong. You will have to hire lawyers to defend you. There will be depositions. Appearances in court. If you are lucky the case will be dismissed by the judge.

Obviously Walter wants to avoid that, and he is being prudent in being cautious. His request is reasonable. Your moving on is clearly about you.

clearly, this is about you and not about the members.

No, this is about us, the members.

I have several forums, some much larger than this one, and believe me or not, every second month I get a letter from an lawyer costing me my hard earned money. I have to look after members quoting too much, I have to look after members using brand names as their user name, .... The Internet nowadays is a minefield.
I'm working my a.. off to keep my forums as free as possible.

I have hope that you reconsider.

Last edited:
But thats not my mindset. I see myself more as a service provider, and I'm happy to have a forum where folks exchange thoughts.
Oh i get that perfectly.
But to repay your hospitality I have no problem working within the rather minimalistic constraints you set out.
No personal attacks
No free advertising
Obey the law
Its no diffetent that not putting my feet up on your cherry coffee table or spitting on the floor at your house.

About time, I have been complaining about this for months...Glad he wants his account gone.
I never got people wanting their accounts removed. If you dont want to come, dont click it.
Of course I also dont get pasting somethingwithout comment. If uts not intetesting enough to you to 2ant to say somethong why would it be interesting to me ?

I never got people wanting their accounts removed. If you dont want to come, dont click it.
Of course I also dont get pasting somethingwithout comment. If uts not intetesting enough to you to 2ant to say somethong why would it be interesting to me ?

yea I agree, I asked the moderators to dosomething about that...but no help :)

Werbung:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back