death penalty

bododie

Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed in Texas Wednesday evening for his involvement in the infamous dragging death of a black man 13 years ago.

Brewer, 44, was one of three men convicted for involvement in the murder of James Byrd.

He was executed by lethal injection at 6:21 p.m. local time (7:21 p.m. ET) Wednesday , according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Brewer ate a huge final meal, according to Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark. It consisted of chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, a bowl of fried okra, barbeque, fajitas, pizza, and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

After the meal, Brewer was given time to make phone calls to family and friends.

Brewer and two other white men kidnapped the 49-year-old black man on the night of June 7, 1998. They chained him by the ankles to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him for 3 ½ miles down a country road near Jasper, Texas. Byrd died when he was decapitated after he hit a culvert.

Prosecutors said the crime, which they described it as one of the most vicious hate crimes in U.S. history, was intended to promote Brewer's fledgling white supremacist organization. During his 1999 trial, they called Brewer a racist psychopath.

Brewer was a former "Exalted Cyclops" of a racist prison gang affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan. He spent most of his adult life in prison for burglary, cocaine possession and parole violations.

During the trial, Brewer took the witness stand and contended that he was a bystander, not a killer.

He tearfully admitted being present when Byrd was dragged to his death but, he said, "I didn't mean to cause his death. I had no intentions of killing anybody."

Brewer said accomplice John William King initiated the killing by fighting with Byrd. He also said the third defendant, Shawn Berry, slashed Byrd's throat and then chained him to Berry's pickup. Brewer admitted kicking Byrd and spraying Byrd's face with black paint.

But he said it was a reflex action taken to try to break up the fight between Byrd and King.

When Brewer was sentenced to death in 1999, Jasper County District Attorney Guy James Gray said that, while he did not personally favor the death penalty, it was necessary in Brewer's case.

"This is a situation where if you don't give the death penalty to this man, he will kill again," said Gray.

To impose the death penalty, the jurors in Brewer's trial had to answer three questions under Texas law:

-- Would Brewer be a threat to society in the future;

-- Did Brewer mean to kill Byrd;

-- And, were there mitigating circumstances that would warrant sparing Brewer's life?

To sentence Brewer to death, the jurors voted unanimously on each question -- answering the first two yes and the last no.

The execution was the 11th this year in Texas, the most active death-penalty state.

King also was sentenced to death and is awaiting the outcome of an appeal. The third man, Berry, was sentenced to life in prison.

In 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law expanded hate crime legislation that was named after Byrd and Mathew Shepard, a gay Wyoming teenager who died after being kidnapped and severely beaten in October 1998

Would someone who is against the death penalty please plead your case for this guy, and explain why you think he should have lived out his life, and why I should be expected to pay to feed him?

Werbung:

Would someone who is against the death penalty please plead your case for this guy, and explain why you think he should have lived out his life, and why I should be expected to pay to feed him?

sure when you tell me why someone who has 7 out of 9 witness recant there story saying the police coerced them into it...with little physical evidence...should be killed...because later in the appeals...they had to ...no not prove reasonable doubt...but Prove they did not do something..Outside of Jimmy Carter and the Pope, FBI Director William Sessions ( former FBI Director) and Larry Thompson ( Former Justice Department)..all happen to also be against this.

to the OP: because keeping him alive provides revenge.

to P-O-S: if the case to acqui9t/retry is so darned good why hasn't anyone gone to court with it ?

See Why didnt the U.S Supreme Court halt Lawrence Russell Brewer death sentence? LIBERALISM THATS WHY! Like they blocked Duane Buck from being executed. You see HATE CRIME LAWS DONT PROTECT WHITES. WHITES DONT BENEFIT FROM HATE CRIME LAWS! Why Dont Obama Undo Clinton law? He did one of them thats DONT ASK AND DONT TELL!! So Why dont he repeal hate crime laws?

sure when you tell me why someone who has 7 out of 9 witness recant there story saying the police coerced them into it...with little physical evidence...should be killed...because later in the appeals...they had to ...no not prove reasonable doubt...but Prove they did not do something..Outside of Jimmy Carter and the Pope, FBI Director William Sessions ( former FBI Director) and Larry Thompson ( Former Justice Department)..all happen to also be against this.

By the way, on of the TWO witnesses who didn't recant was PRESENT at the time of the officer's death AND has bragged, under the influence of alcohol, to SEVERAL people that HE was the one who was carrying the gun and shot the cop.

I do hope this dramatic ending will bring new light on the death penalty. And I hope that the death of this man will NOT bring relieve to ANYONE!

Well, I'm glad to see kings and queens of liboonland still can't read. No one was talking about that guy were they? Hmmmmm?

POS. Not interested in your opinion anyway. I'm sure you "dated" a dead person before, since you seem to have dated every life form, but keep it to yourself.

My opinion: If you take someone's life for any reason other than you are a soldier or it is self defense, and it CAN BE PROVEN that this was the case, then you should pay with your own life.

Well, I'm glad to see kings and queens of liboonland still can't read. No one was talking about that guy were they? Hmmmmm?

POS. Not interested in your opinion anyway. I'm sure you "dated" a dead person before, since you seem to have dated every life form, but keep it to yourself.

My opinion: If you take someone's life for any reason other than you are a soldier or it is self defense, and it CAN BE PROVEN that this was the case, then you should pay with your own life.

It wasn't PROVEN that that was the case.

And your constant insults and attempts to ridicule anyone who doesn't think like you. . without EVER providing any factual or honest discussion to defend YOUR point of view is very tiring and absolute trash.

Please avoid making any more disparaging comments that do not bring any constructive or positive contribution to the debates. If you cannot raise to a proper debate, you should just shut up.

I didn't ask about that case. That would be another thread. The question was about the death penalty in general.

Please refrain from responding to my posts if I bother you. I do not care about your opinion on anything. The case I presented was in fact very PROVEN. Your inability to comprehend is frightful, but expected from your ilk.

As you say: Stupid is as stupid does, and stupid can't seem to read. Go away old woman. Go to Europe and have a safety net.

thats odd, I have only talked about one person I have dated, who has medical issues..who just spend last night and 12 hours with today...in the hospital...But maybe you don't want to hear what I have to say, because your a Fuc King idiot

Thats because George W Bush was a JACKASS!! He put Samuel Alito and Chef John Robberts the bench. What Mr Bush didnt understand is theyre both CATHOLICS! And Catholics dont agree with death penalty.Thats why we need SARAH PALIN to be the nrext president so she can apoint Jew conservitives to the bench. Jews arent no liberals. They executed Nazis and terrorist for example.

Thats because George W Bush was a JACKASS!! He put Samuel Alito and Chef John Robberts the bench. What Mr Bush didnt understand is theyre both CATHOLICS! And Catholics dont agree with death penalty.Thats why we need SARAH PALIN to be the nrext president so she can apoint Jew conservitives to the bench. Jews arent no liberals. They executed Nazis and terrorist for example.

I must say, you are very entertaining with your .....disjointed view of history and your idea of justice, religion, and politics! Have you ever thought about doing stand up comedy?

But maybe you don't want to hear what I have to say, because your a Fuc King idiot

I care as much about you and who you date and what your problems are as you do about anyone who doesn't feel as you do. Who was it that made a comment about the kind of people who call other people names? Lol. What a funny little impersonation of a man.

Guess the bleeding hearts who cry foul at the death penalty are just flapping their gums and have no real basis to deny that it is in fact "justice served" when all the facts ARE known, and proven.

Werbung:
Guess the bleeding hearts who cry foul at the death penalty are just flapping their gums and have no real basis to deny that it is in fact "justice served" when all the facts ARE known, and proven.

They prefer cruel and unusual (prison rape etc) to get that sense of revenge as opposed to protecting the population.

Back