1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Does human life begin at conception?

Discussion in 'Health' started by PLC1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

And 18 year olds are held to be adults, but I question the logic of that, too.

2. Lagboltz

Lagboltz Well-Known Member

Neurons start forming at around 11 weeks.
    However the frontal lobe doesn't completely form until age 25 and stops changing substantially after around 35. Among other things the frontal lobe inhibits the amygdala ("lizard brain") from doing something stupid. (Not always successfully.)

3. Iolo2

Iolo2 Well-Known Member

Seems to me a matter of social choice, that one, depending on current conditions. An awful lot of traditional coming-of-age ceremonies tend to be held for the insanely young.

4. PLC1

Which is why the law making 18 year olds adults is not totally realistic. When does the brain begin to function, though? That should be pretty easy to establish via an EEG. According to this:

life begins around the 12th. week.

5. Lagboltz

That's roughly the first trimester. I'll buy that. I think that's what is allowed in federal law.

cashmcall likes this.
  6. PLC1

Yep. Seems like the law has it about right.

7. Iolo2

Iolo2 Well-Known Member

Did my life begin when my Father met my Mother? People can be born earlier than they used to be, but if you start trying to change universal human practice you are going to get yourselves in no end of a mess. Human life begins at birth.

8. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

So the first 11 weeks its just a rock ?
    Biology does not concur.
    Federal law hasnt been made... yet.

cashmcall likes this.
  9. cashmcall

cashmcall Well-Known Member

Who's law? not mine or the God I believe in..

10. cashmcall

Like I said, we’re told gays have the right to marry and buy cakes and so forth because gay is not a choice. And gay is not a choice, they say, because gays are gay from birth. And if gays are gay from birth, then the matter is genetic, and if it’s genetic then gays are gay even before birth. But if gays are gay before birth, then it would seem that THEY were THEM in the womb. In other words, whatever their nature is, their essence, they had that, they were that, in the womb. And if they are NOW what they were THEN, and were then what they are now, then either they’re people now and they were people then, or they weren’t people then and they aren’t now. Wow

I don’t actually believe there’s such a thing as a gay unborn child, but the fact that this country is even debating the issue seems to indicate that we all acknowledge unborn children exist, are alive, are human, and are people. The moment you say “I was X since before I was born,” you are admitting to the rather unavoidable truth that you were you before you were born. If “person” is important to the definition of “you,” then you must always have been a person for as long as you’ve been you.

But I guess as a liberal.. you can have it both ways..

11. PLC1

God does not make the laws in the USA. It is a secular state.

Walter likes this.
  12. Lagboltz

You are confusing a "blueprint" of a person with the person to be created from the blueprint. That's what DNA is. A blueprint.
    There isn't a "both ways", and it has nothing to do with liberalism. It's common sense biology. You are trying to attach religious morals to biology and then condemn it as being liberalism.

13. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    the Federal law and Supreme court. odd thing about America...laws are not made to fit your personal God....well should not be at least. My God Says 3 years old, now don't trample my religion with your federal laws....I want my Religious Freedom!

14. cashmcall

At the end of the day if anyone were to ask me to choose or attempt to force my hand on a topic – I choose Christ every time. I will choose Christ even against the Constitution of the United States of America. ( and I love the Constitution) Why, because this place is not my home.

My faith doesn’t end the minute I step out of bed, and I am free to choose.. It's who I am..
    We all know that most abortions take place when there is much more than just DNA going on..

My last response.. This subject makes me sick...

15. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    If your only argument is your God, then its not much of a argument. If you can't base it on science, or Ethics not tired to your personal faith or a 2000 year old book....then you have little chance of changing anyones view.