Donating blood & AIDs

dogtowner

Staff member
Seems SanFran is asking the govrrnment to change the rules on homosexuals donating blood.

Poor timing considering CDC reporting significant increases of hiv in male homosexuals.

I would like to think this would get a very quick "no" but with this adminustration its no slam dunk.

If they drop the ball I hope blood services have the courage to just say no to rendering the blood supply tainted.

It could produce a.new cottage indistry of making petsonal blood supplys but thats no way to bend the curve on medical costs.

Werbung:
On the surface this appears to be another bone headed decision. But, in reality donated blood is already tested for multiple infectious disease markers including HIV.

Considering that heterosexuals can also suffer from HIV or any other blood borne pathogen there really is no difference in who is donating the blood. All blood must be treated with universal precaution.

I don't see any difference in homosexual activity or any other risky sexual behaviors when it comes to STD's.

If anything this may increase detection of disease in those who choose to donate and possibly prevent further spread of infection.

Back