Fed Govt planning to tax motorists by the mile

Little-Acorn

Yes folks, the idea that we don't pay enough taxes is alive and well in Washington. In fact, it is undergoing a resurgence.

Isn't it cute the way this guy says he wants to charge this tax "rather than" the current Federal per-gallon gasoline tax? Yep, I'm convinced he will repeal the per-gallon tax, so we won't wind up with both. Yup, uh-huh.

And the idea of the government putting a GPS chip in my car so it can watch how far I'm driving, is similarly delightful. Of course, such info can be directly translated into how fast I drove, where I went, etc. And it's simple for govt computers to keep that info in a log, for later review as government sees fit.

But I'm similarly convinced, that I can trust the government not to abuse that info, to wipe it as soon as it's collected, and to never use it for purposes that weren't originally intended. Just as they promised to do for my Social Security number, my cell phone records, my concealed-carry permit.....

I'm SO glad we voted Barack Obama into office, so he could appoint people like this to his cabinet, who REALLY know what government is for.

After all, how can government take care of us, unless they watch and keep track of us?

----------------------------------

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lahood-vehicle-mileage-tax,0,6754105,print.story

Transportation secretary says taxing how much we drive may replace gasoline tax

By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer
7:17 AM EST, February 20, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

Most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, but Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

Werbung:
I thought the stiffulus bill was going to cover infrastructure?

Can you imagine if George Bush required everyone to put a GPS device in their cars?

Now that all the rich people have been neutralized, I guess it's back to the Hair of the Dog: regressive taxes on the working class.

LOL! you are KIDDING! :D

Ok so we are going to spend $787 Billion, that will have to be paid back in taxes, theoretically to build 'infrastructure' (in reality simply a political pay off), and then they are going to tax us by the mile to use the roads they taxed us to build.

Great! No one will be able to afford to drive on the roads we can't afford to build. Makes sense. Economic stimulation here we come!

I drive 1200 miles a year, great idea. But to know that the government, and all it's law enforcement agencies. will know where you are at every moment is a crime. How many speeding tickets will be issued due to GPS read outs. Just saving the lives of children fro m speeders, and lining there pockets with ticket fines. This is BS that will never pass.

PS: LaHood is a republician, not a Obama democrat

Me too. I live within walking distance to work. If the traffic is absolutely horrible... it takes about 5 minutes to get to work. Maybe 10 if I hit all three red lights.

That said, that's still just ironic that they are thinking more roads are going to boost the economy, and then tax them so no one drives.

Isn't it cute the way this guy says he wants to charge this tax "rather than" the current Federal per-gallon gasoline tax?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive....
Ya' gotta be another student in BigRob's reading-"comprehension" class. :rolleyes:

My God, the idiots that get into office and think this crap up...

Sometimes you gotta think there is no hope with morons running this country.

Every couple of years it's just a new pack of morons that come to screw up everything.

My God, the idiots that get into office and think this crap up...

Sometimes you gotta think there is no hope with morons running this country.

Every couple of years it's just a new pack of morons that come to screw up everything.

I don’t know about the federal bill but the Oregon bill is flat retarded.

Our Gov says he wants to pay millions to change the system to force all Oregon drivers to use this GPS system. He claims he will remove the tax on gas and we will get revenue by the GPS system instead. He claims he won’t spy on us even though he can, that he just wants it for a more accurate way to tax people for road use.

If that was true then he is just simply retarded. Right now many from Washington State, Idaho, Calif. come to Oregon to buy gas because we have no sales tax. They will FLOOD In to buy gas because we won’t have a sales tax or a gas tax but they are not required to use the GPS system. This means they will pay zero to revenue and Oregon people will pay much more.

Also we will lose the money from truck drivers driving through Oregon to get to other states exc.

also, I don’t have a little car or one that saves on fuel but many granola eaters here do, so they now will have paid huge prices for these little cars for what? So they can be charged by the mile rather than by the gallon? (almost funny really)

The whole thing is fishy to me, I think the government wants to spy on us more than get our tax because if taxing us was more important he would want to leave it the way it is so he can get the tax from the people who will be getting a free ride on our roads and with our gas after the change.

And people like me with an SUV’s wont pay any more tax than my boss with his little car he paid a ton for because it saved gas…

So much for George Bush's surveillance of Americans.

Liberals want to put a GPS device in your car and follow you around.

Don't discount the moronic-suckers who voted for Obama, who sit there and eat his horsesh@% likes it's candy...

If you don't agree with this idiotic measure, then you're on the same side as Obama.

If you want to know what a presidential slap across the face feels like, just ask Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

LaHood had told an Associated Press reporter that the transportation department was
thinking of changing the way that gas taxes are calculated from a per-gallon measure to a per-miles-driven measure.

Is that the policy of the White House, a reporter asked Press Secretary Robert Gibbs?

"I can weigh in on it and say that it is not and will not be the policy of the Obama administration," Gibbs said, an unusually sharp answer.

The reporter continued, prompting an exchange that made clear that LaHood has received new marching orders from the White House.

So, how does it feel to agree with the new president?

Werbung:
Yes folks, the idea that we don't pay enough taxes is alive and well in Washington. In fact, it is undergoing a resurgence.

Isn't it cute the way this guy says he wants to charge this tax "rather than" the current Federal per-gallon gasoline tax? Yep, I'm convinced he will repeal the per-gallon tax, so we won't wind up with both. Yup, uh-huh.

And the idea of the government putting a GPS chip in my car so it can watch how far I'm driving, is similarly delightful. Of course, such info can be directly translated into how fast I drove, where I went, etc. And it's simple for govt computers to keep that info in a log, for later review as government sees fit.

But I'm similarly convinced, that I can trust the government not to abuse that info, to wipe it as soon as it's collected, and to never use it for purposes that weren't originally intended. Just as they promised to do for my Social Security number, my cell phone records, my concealed-carry permit.....

I'm SO glad we voted Barack Obama into office, so he could appoint people like this to his cabinet, who REALLY know what government is for.

After all, how can government take care of us, unless they watch and keep track of us?

----------------------------------

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lahood-vehicle-mileage-tax,0,6754105,print.story

Transportation secretary says taxing how much we drive may replace gasoline tax

By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer
7:17 AM EST, February 20, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

Most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, but Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

bla bla bla Obama wants to.....wait actuly no he rejected the idea

"Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood gestures during an interview with The AP – Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood gestures during an interview with The Associated Press, Thursday, …

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama on Friday rejected his transportation secretary's suggestion that the administration consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive instead of how much gasoline they buy."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090221/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lahood_vehicle_mileage_tax

its funny how one person suggest something, and it = Obama supports and will do X....

Also simple fact is, as we use less and less gas , we hope , the funds to pay for road reparits and cost will have to come from someplace....unless you just want to let them fall apart...so it is a real idea that at some point will will have to look at.

Back