Firemen Refuse Assistance; Man Dies

GBFan

(CNN) -- The lieutenant whose firefighters refused to leave their Washington fire station to help a 77-year-old man who had collapsed outside has filed for retirement, a city official said Friday.

Lt. Kellene Davis -- who commanded the station at the center of the incident -- filed papers on Thursday to retire from the District of Columbia's Fire and EMS Department, said Keith St. Clair, a spokesman for Washington's deputy mayor for public safety.

"It typically takes 45-50 days for such paperwork to be processed through channels," St. Clair explained.

Davis did not respond immediately to an e-mail Thursday from CNN, and a call to a phone number listed for her was not answered.

She took the step toward retirement five days after Marie Mills held her elderly father in the street and screamed for help.

A passerby rushed across the street to bang on the door of a fire station, knowing that firefighters are trained to provide emergency medical help.

But they wouldn't leave the station.

The same thing happened when two more people tried to summon the firefighters for assistance, according to Mills.

140130121300-nr-firefighters-may-have-refused-to-help-dying-man-00003611-story-body.jpg
Daughter: Firemen didn't help dying dad
"We looked across the street at the fire station. There was a firefighter that was actually standing against the fire apparatus," she told CNN affiliate WJLA. "Everybody started trying to wave him over." But the firefighter said he had to be dispatched first.

"I even ran to the curb and said, 'Are you going to help me or let my dad die?'" said Mills.

Later, after an ambulance finally arrived, Cecil Mills died at a hospital. He had suffered an apparent heart attack.

Authorities subsequently opened an investigation into the incident, though none challenged Mills' version of events.

"It's an outrage," Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said at a news conference, who DC news station WTTG reports has apologized to Marie Mills. "I was absolutely furious."

According to the Mills family, those who asked for help at the fire station were told to call 911.

Calls to 911 were placed, but a mix-up with the address delayed an ambulance, said Washington Council member Tommy Wells.

"Two things happened," he said. "One was that no one came out of the fire house to help this gentleman. The other is the ambulance that was dispatched was dispatched to the wrong place. This was a number of fiascos."

McClair said Thursday that two employees of the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department were suspended with pay in the wake of the incident.

The firefighters' union said the incident simply should never have happened.

"We need to find out why it did occur and make sure it never happens again," said Ed Smith, president of the DC Fire Fighters Association, in a statement reported by WTTG.

The city's deputy mayor for public safety, Paul Quander, has said according to WTTG that authorities will look at the communications and whether "protocols and procedures" were properly followed.

There are no protocols that would prevent fire personnel from helping those in need, he told CNN Thursday. "These are people who run into burning buildings. They work in the most hazardous conditions imaginable.

"They cross the streets, they cross highways to get to people. It is understood. It is common. This is why it is so troubling that we did not take the appropriate action in this case. It's right across the street."

--------------------------

Yep, I know this government can handle my healthcare, and I can depend on the cops to be there to protect me when I need them.

Werbung:
Sorry are you saying this is a bad thing?

You seem to think that a hospital refusing treatment on account of ability to pay is a good thing so I'm confused

The biggest cause of bankruptcy in the US is people losing everything due to the cost of medical care

So they become very ill AND face a life time of destitution

Would they be better off dying in a fire?

Or was it that the guy was White and rich?

You know the kind of life that has higher value in good chrstyn Merica?

You seem to think that a hospital refusing treatment on account of ability to pay is a good thing so I'm confused

The biggest cause of bankruptcy in the US is people losing everything due to the cost of medical care

Pick whichever statistic fits your own little story ...

• “Medical expenses account for 62 percent of bankruptcies in the United States.” – 2007 Harvard study
  • “The percentage of people under age 65 in families having problems paying medical bills decreased from 21.7 percent in the first six months of 2011 to 20.3 percent in the first six months of 2012” – 2013 Center for Disease Control study
Of course, as usual, you failed to grasp the context of the problem ... the firemen were constrained by government rules from helping the man, and, as a result, he died. It has nothing to do with cost of medical care. Geesh!

These are the people you propose control my healthcare ... lol

The poor cannot afford health insurance

You would rather see them suffer than help them

Even though you receive state help all the time

This is because you are a typical right wing religious person

Nasty and hypocritical

And why should the guy expect his fire to be put out?

Did he offer to pay the fire service?

Surely you don't believe in state provided fire service do you Stalin?

I THINK we were talking about another government agency failing to provide support to the citizenry ... well, I was ... Lord only knows what you were talking about.

I'm talking about your ludicrous views

You seem to be saying that state provision of services is bad and then you complain when a guy doesn't receive them

Make yer mind up

Sorry, get one first

I'm talking about your ludicrous views

You seem to be saying that state provision of services is bad and then you complain when a guy doesn't receive them

Make yer mind up

Sorry, get one first
What amazes me is you find that to be counter-intuitive. The 'guy' not receiving them is just another example of bad state services. But, then, I recognize that where you come from, you've sucked on the government teat so long that you don't have any concept of individual responsibility.

But you think there shouldn't be any state service

So not getting it must be good yeah?

Hoist by your own petard

But you think there shouldn't be any state service

So not getting it must be good yeah?

Hoist by your own petard

Frankly, I have no idea how you arrive at the logic you use ... you are truly a wonder ... I wonder what the f*ck you are talking about.

The Daughter should take the Fire Department and the City to court and file an 10 million dollar lawsuit on wrongful death.

Werbung:

And you have the nerve to call me a racist. What about you? I think youre a racist

Back