Free Our Schools

Iftikhar

Free Our Schools
Almost all children now believe they go to school to pass exams. The idea that they may be there for an education is irrelevant. State schools have become exam factories, interested only in A to C Grades. They do not educate children. Exam results do not reflect a candidate’s innate ability. Employers have moaned for years that too many employees cannot read or write properly. According to a survey, school-leavers and even graduates lack basic literacy and numeracy skills. More and more companies are having to provide remedial training to new staff, who can’t write clear instructions, do simple maths, or solve problems. Both graduates and school-leavers were also criticised for their sloppy time-keeping, ignorance of basic customer service and lack of self-discipline.

Bilingual Muslims children have a right, as much as any other faith group, to be taught their culture, languages and faith alongside a mainstream curriculum. More faith schools will be opened under sweeping reforms of the education system in England. There is a dire need for the growth of state funded Muslim schools to meet the growing needs and demands of the Muslim parents and children. Now the time has come that parents and community should take over the running of their local schools. Parent-run schools will give the diversity, the choice and the competition that the wealthy have in the private sector. Parents can perform a better job than the Local Authority because parents have a genuine vested interest. The Local Authority simply cannot be trusted.

The British Government is planning to make it easier to schools to “opt out” from the Local Authorities. Muslim children in state schools feel isolated and confused about who they are. This can cause dissatisfaction and lead them into criminality, and the lack of a true understanding of Islam can ultimately make them more susceptible to the teachings of fundamentalists like Christians during the middle ages and Jews in recent times in Palestine. Fundamentalism is nothing to do with Islam and Muslim; you are either a Muslim or a non-Muslim.

There are hundreds of state primary and secondary schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion all such schools may be opted out to become Muslim Academies. This mean the Muslim children will get a decent education. Muslim schools turned out balanced citizens, more tolerant of others and less likely to succumb to criminality or extremism. Muslim schools give young people confidence in who they are and an understanding of Islam’s teaching of tolerance and respect which prepares them for a positive and fulfilling role in society. Muslim schools are attractive to Muslim parents because they have better discipline and teaching Islamic values. Children like discipline, structure and boundaries. Bilingual Muslim children need Bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods, who understand their needs and demands.

None of the British Muslims convicted following the riots in Bradford and Oldham in 2001 or any of those linked to the London bombings had been to Islamic schools. An American Think Tank studied the educational back ground of 300 Jihadists; none of them were educated in Pakistani Madrasas. They were all Western educated by non-Muslim teachers. Bilingual Muslim children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models. A Cambridge University study found that single-sex classes could make a big difference for boys. They perform better in single-sex classes. The research is promising because male students in the study saw noticeable gains in the grades. The study confirms the Islamic notion that academic achievement is better in single-sex classes.
Iftikhar Ahmad
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Werbung:
They do not educate children.

I beg to differ. They may not teach your children anything, I don't know. Mine are, in fact, very well educated, and I am and have always been proud of them. Perhaps if you got more involved with your child's education...

the failed US government school system needs to be completely privatized.

2vkhoqo.jpg

And the country with a completely private educational system, and an educated populace is ________ (feel free to fill in the blank.)

I can't decide whether that idea, or the one being promoted in the OP is the most absurd. Hmmm.. It's a tossup.

Bilingual Muslims children have a right, as much as any other faith group, to be taught their culture, languages and faith alongside a mainstream curriculum. More faith schools will be opened under sweeping reforms of the education system in England.

Are the Brits really doing this? Do they have separate schools where Christians are being taught their culture, languages, and faith? If so, are they going to wind up with a society polarized by religion?

And the country with a completely private educational system, and an educated populace is ________ (feel free to fill in the blank.)

I can't decide whether that idea, or the one being promoted in the OP is the most absurd. Hmmm.. It's a tossup.

Are the Brits really doing this? Do they have separate schools where Christians are being taught their culture, languages, and faith? If so, are they going to wind up with a society polarized by religion?

I can fix the p-schools overnight by doing the following:

1. end all teachers unions and they can unionize
2. return the curriculum to 1950 requirements
3. develop job requirements for all teachers and fire those who fail
4. eliminate superintendents and their numerous subordinates
5. using the millions saved by implementing the above to increase teacher salaries to attract better talent.

That will do it.

I notice you didn't fill in the blank.

I can fix the p-schools overnight by doing the following:

1. end all teachers unions and they can unionize

That doesn't make sense. End the unions, and they can unionize?

2. return the curriculum to 1950 requirements

Believe it or not, I was in school in the '50s. Our graduation requirements for high school was to attend all four years and pass PE. That was it. Is that what you want to go back to?

3. develop job requirements for all teachers and fire those who fail

We already do that.

4. eliminate superintendents and their numerous subordinates

And put what in their place? Have the boards run schools directly?

5. using the millions saved by implementing the above to increase teacher salaries to attract better talent.

That will do it.

That will do what? You have no idea how schools are being run currently.

What we need to do is to decentralize schools, and do away with attendance boundaries. Let parents choose which schools to use. Allow individual schools to set standards for student achievement and behavior, and hold students and parents accountable to meet them or find another school. Hold schools accountable by closing the ones parents don't choose patronize. Get rid of the layers of bureaucracy (perhaps that is what you meant by "superintendents") and give the money to the schools. Allow for more choices: Not everyone wants to/ is capable of going to college. We need more trade schools.

That's a brief summary.

Okay my silly Jon Stewart idolizing friend...

No more teacher unions. Many experts have pointed to the unionization of teachers in the 1960s as ruining the schools.

If you think the curriculum today is better than the 1950s, you are either ignorant or delusional. Most high school grads of the 50's were at least as capable as college grads today (excluding you). This has been reported many times...please do not tell me this is news to you...http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/809153/posts

Teachers get fired today...oh please...are you playing dumb or are you really dumb? Failing teachers do not get fired. Outside of sexual harassment, there is no other way they get fired thanks to the unions and socialization of the schools.

Supers have huge staffs which do nothing. Get ride of them and drastically reduce the Supers salary and pension.

Okay my silly Jon Stewart idolizing friend...

No more teacher unions. Many experts have pointed to the unionization of teachers in the 1960s as ruining the schools.

If you think the curriculum today is better than the 1950s, you are either ignorant or delusional. Most high school grads of the 50's were at least as capable as college grads today (excluding you). This has been reported many times...please do not tell me this is news to you...http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/809153/posts

Teachers get fired today...oh please...are you playing dumb or are you really dumb? Failing teachers do not get fired. Outside of sexual harassment, there is no other way they get fired thanks to the unions and socialization of the schools.

Supers have huge staffs which do nothing. Get ride of them and drastically reduce the Supers salary and pension.

What is the role of the teacher's unions? Who supports them?
What are the graduation requirements in your state?
What were the graduation requirements fifty years ago?
What are the requirements for a teacher getting tenure?
How can a teacher be dismissed?

Until you know the answers to those questions, your opinion is worthless, as it is not based on knowledge.

You can start your education by reviewing the California State Standards (which were not in use in the '50s, BTW. The only requirement was to warm a seat and pass PE for four years)

After you have some facts to base your arguments on, you can get back to me.

"...Many experts...", have opinions. That is nothing more than a "fallacy of an appeal to authority". Can you cite some studies (not "expert" opinions), where the evidence indicated a correlation with teacher unions and poor outcomes?

If you think the curriculum today is better than the 1950s, you are either ignorant or delusional. Most high school grads of the 50's were at least as capable as college grads today (excluding you).
Could that be attributed of a different parental mindset of parental discipline in those days? "...I would be in more trouble at home than I would be at school if I misbehaved." As opposed to: "You never liked my kid." and/or, "...you are picking on my kid...he says that you said...and he doesn't lie!", etc.

The former governor of Michigan, John Engler eliminated teacher tenure. Since that time, I have know several teachers that were removed from teaching in a very small district. Most, "induced" to retire, good teachers who were subject to trumped up charges. When those several teachers left, the school district was still a sh**-hole.

Supers have huge staffs which do nothing.
Hillsdale, MI, school system's Super has two secretaries. Who by the way, are always busy working. Some "huge staff".

It would seem that you pretty much are blowing off about a subject of which you only have an outsider (no real knowledge about what is going on). Of course if you have some credentials (former teacher, administrator, etc.), I am sure we all would like to hear about it.

PLC1, in wilbur and orville wright's workshop, circa 1900:

"A flying machine?! Where has this ever been done before???" :rolleyes:

It took you a while to think up that one, didn't it?

BTW, it wasn't worth it.

No, I just happened to come across this thread. And "Duh, that's never been done before! Duh!" is the weakest of arguments - try again.

Werbung:
Back