Fusion Centers Criticized

Centrehalf

Apparently the Homeland Security "Fusion centers" are not really helping identify and stop terrorism at all, but they are doing a terrific job of spying on law-abiding American citizens. Funny, I seem to remember many people saying that this would happen back when these centers were originally opened.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fusion-centers-20121003,0,3075735.story

I thought that this quote regarding the fusion centers was very interesting:
In March 2010, Homeland Security Undersecretary for Intelligence and Analysis Caryn A. Wagner praised them as "the linchpin of the evolving homeland security enterprise."

If catching terrorists isn't what they're supposed to do, then what are they supposed to do? Don't answer that, rhetorical question, we all already know what they're supposed to do.

Werbung:
Homeland Security is turning out to be one scary domestic spying agency.

Centrehalf, et al,

There are a couple of things happening all at once here; creating a backlash.

1. The dom estic Intelligence programs are becoming a bit draconian.
  2. The application of extra-territorial authority is ever increasing.
  3. The cost 'vs' productive output is increasing.

All of these factors, and even more, are converging and will eventually create a backlash that will seriously impact domestic intelligence and security operations.

Apparently the Homeland Security "Fusion centers" are not really helping identify and stop terrorism at all, but they are doing a terrific job of spying on law-abiding American citizens. Funny, I seem to remember many people saying that this would happen back when these centers were originally opened.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fusion-centers-20121003,0,3075735.story

I thought that this quote regarding the fusion centers was very interesting:

If catching terrorists isn't what they're supposed to do, then what are they supposed to do? Don't answer that, rhetorical question, we all already know what they're supposed to do.
(COMMENT)

Putting this in context:

KEY FINDING said:
Senate investigators concluded that Homeland Security liaisons to the centers "forwarded 'intelligence' of uneven quality — oftentimes shoddy, rarely timely, sometimes endangering citizens' civil liberties and Privacy Act protections, occasionally taken from already-published public sources, and more often than not unrelated to terrorism."

This is what it is all about.

Most people are not familiar with intelligence and counterintelligence operations, and so, that don't understand when they are looking at a properly functioning center, and when they are not.

The struggle to be relevant (and thus better supported and funded) is as old as prostitution itself. And the use of these sexy terms (Fusion Centers and Datamart Environments) are cosmetic pivots that project the appearance of progress and something new. In most cases, the creation of the "X" Centers and what-not, since 911, have been nothing more than what senior leaders do all the time when they are new and attempt to make their mark. Intelligence "sharing" and "joint analysis" (what Fusion Centers do best) has been an essential part of successful intelligence programs since the time of the pharaohs. You don't actually need a "fusion center" if your analysis is being done correctly, and dissemination of the intelligence is being made. And the term "datamarts" are merely a description for an effective file and retrieval system using automated data processing technology. All of this is a pivotal shift in terminology - like the transition from the use of the phrase "the next steps," to "a paradigm shift," to the new - "the way forward." It sounds crafty, and there is an art to word smithing, but it doesn't actually contribute anything new. Much of the reorganization and program development since 911 is nothing more than (as the Whiz Kids would say from the Kennedy era) shuffling the desk chairs around. The same accomplishments could have been made through an increase and emphasis in intra-agency cooperation.
As far as espionage and terrorism (as a threats) and counter-espionage and counter-terrorism (as a countermeasures), the FBI focus and expansion is - what it has always been. The FBI is a "bandwagon organization" that jumps on and off as the political environment changes. The FBI interest in the industrial and commercial aspect is nothing more than to gain a "renewed" interest in services as a provider and image building as a "one-stop shop." By establishing a need, and a few dramatic successes (real or imaginary), they gain a foothold, and a way to promote themselves as the "can do everything" agency. By helping industrial and commercial entities, they build a reputation (deserved or not) that amplifies very powerful influences on congress. They, very successfully, use the Hand Rule to justify expanded authority and greater funding to meet a threat that should have been addressed by investments on the part of private industry. It is a great strategy, and cannot be (really) argued with - relative to the other CI activities.
DHS is just another layer of bureaucracy and Fusion Centers are cosmetic application by putting the best face on the same old pig.
Most Respectfully,
R

The war on terror has become an excuse to ignore Constitutional rights and expand the power of government, much like the war on drugs and the war on poverty.

It's time to end these "wars" on ideology and tactics, or else wage a war on common sense. Think about it: war on poverty = more poverty, war on drugs = more drugs, war on terror = more terrorists. We could really use more common sense.

RoccoR, I enjoyed reading your post, you made some very good points, I've always thought the FBI was pushy too. I have a couple of things I'd like to bring up.

DHS is just another layer of bureaucracy and Fusion Centers are cosmetic application by putting the best face on the same old pig.

I don't think the DHS is just another layer of bureaucracy. In less than 10 years it grew to just shy of 250,000 employees, and that's just DHS not including organizations under it. There are over 180 organizations and agencies operating under the umbrella of DHS, including two military organizations: the Coast Guard and the Army/Air National Guard. In my opinion a lot of what DHS now controls are things which used to be handled by several different departments, and that shifting and consolidating of the power within the federal government makes DHS incredibly dangerous.

I am by no means an expert on how DHS operates their Fusion Centers but from what I've read over the last few years I wouldn't call them the same old pig.

Most people are not familiar with intelligence and counterintelligence operations, and so, that don't understand when they are looking at a properly functioning center, and when they are not.

My assertion is that they are functioning exactly as intended, they're an end-around, a way for the federal government to bypass the additional rules and directives which specifically govern the way an intelligence operative does his/her job. It's not new for someone who wants information to cast a very large net and then build a picture based upon many little bits of information which by themselves seem meaningless. It is new for a federal agency to cast this net so openly at the American people on this scale which is why I just can't call this the same old pig.

Centrehalf, et al,

Many articles are written using lay interpretations of technical terms. Relative to this discussion, we could write a whole book on how fouled-up the Intelligence Community (IC) is, and the differences between law enforcement organizations, intelligence programs, counterintelligence activities, and security services. They are all similar in the features, but they are all different in purpose and mission.

The can be said for the differences between an (Agency or General Service) Operations Center, an Intelligence & Counterintelligence Center, and a Fusion Center. They too have similarities, but also differ in the role and mission. For the purpose of this discussion, I will not go into too much detail, except as to clarify some points relative to DHS:

• State and major urban area fusion centers (fusion centers) serve as focal points within the state and local environment for the receipt, analysis, gathering, and sharing of threat-related information between the federal government and state, local, tribal, territorial (SLTT) and private sector partners.
  • By building trusted relationships and collaborating with SLTT and private sector partners, fusion centers can gather and share the information necessary to pursue and disrupt activities that may be indicators of, or potential precursors to, terrorist activity. With timely, accurate information on potential terrorist threats, fusion centers can directly contribute to and inform investigations initiated and conducted by federal entities, such as the Joint Terrorism Task Forces led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Additionally, I would like to clarify the distinction between "Intelligence" - which is an inclusive term --- and "Foreign Intelligence" and "Counterintelligence" (functional areas):"

50 USC § 401a

(1) The term “intelligence” includes foreign intelligence and counterintelligence.
(2) The term “foreign intelligence” means information relating to the capabilities, intentions, or activities of foreign governments or elements thereof, foreign organizations, or foreign persons, or international terrorist activities.
(3) The term “counterintelligence” means information gathered, and activities conducted, to protect against espionage, other intelligence activities, sabotage, or assassinations conducted by or on behalf of foreign governments or elements thereof, foreign organizations, or foreign persons, or international terrorist activities.

POINT: So when you are talking about a DHS Fusion Center, you are focusing on domestic information sharing (refined intelligence products and unrefined information reports), in support of two principal areas: (Note: Not the direction or coordination of individual operational activities.)
  • Law Enforcement Activities countering criminal activity.
  • Counterintelligence Activities countering espionage, sabotage, subversion, treason, sedition, and terrorism.
I don't think the DHS is just another layer of bureaucracy. In less than 10 years it grew to just shy of 250,000 employees, and that's just DHS not including organizations under it. There are over 180 organizations and agencies operating under the umbrella of DHS, including two military organizations: the Coast Guard and the Army/Air National Guard.
(COMMENT)

References:

The DHS is a big activity. Reference "b" (supra) is the Organizational Chart. It is really only a consolidation of some of the smaller agencies (about 8 departments of agencies/services) into one huge (underfunded), Cabinet Level Department. And while DHS is a member of the Intelligence Community (IC), much like the Department of State (DOS), only certain entities within are actually true members. (See Reference "a") The Coast Guard is a DHS activity, but also a stand-alone IC Member. The Office of Intelligence and Research (INR) is a subordinate element of DOS, but the only activity of DOS which is a member of the Intelligence Community. The Office of Diplomatic Security (DS) is a security service and not an intelligence service. Most of DHS is in the realm of a "security service" and not an Intelligence or Counterintelligence service.

In my opinion a lot of what DHS now controls are things which used to be handled by several different departments, and that shifting and consolidating of the power within the federal government makes DHS incredibly dangerous.
(COMMENT)

Yes, I agree, DHS is a growing danger; but we might argue what (within DHS growth and development) constitutes those dangers. But I also see it as the only Domestic Agency that can now challenge the authority of the FBI.

Before 911, and before the creation of DHS, it was discussed at length in a government discussion group (http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/nssg/) the Hart-Rudman Commission, AKA: the US Commission on National Security. I was a participant in the discussions. The original concept behind the promotion of DHS was not to "prevent" a major attack, but to "respond." The Commission had already decided that further investment in a offensive countermeasures (seek-out and detect - exploit - neutralize) against hostile threats was futile and that an attack was eminent - it would happen no matter how much we invested in active, offensive countermeasures.

It is my opinion that the actual seed that spawned DHS was tempered and forged by a defeatist attitude.

I am by no means an expert on how DHS operates their Fusion Centers but from what I've read over the last few years I wouldn't call them the same old pig.

//... jump ...//
It is new for a federal agency to cast this net so openly at the American people on this scale which is why I just can't call this the same old pig.
(COMMENT)

Oh, I think many have missed just how old and ugly a Pig this "Fusion Center" concept really is. And the need for the "Fusion Center" was amplified by grave security concerns, a lack of intra-agency cooperation, mistrust between agencies, and a tendency by agencies to over classify information. But the Pig is really what we call, in the Intelligence Cycle --- Analysis, Dissemination, and Integration.

images

It has been around for as nearly as long as prostitution. The overall Intelligence Cycle is much larger than just the Analysis, Production, Dissemination, and Integration piece. But that is the piece that the "Fusion Centers" handle on the domestic lanscape. Only the term is new. The need to properly Analysis, Production, Dissemination, and Integrate has been long established. It is word-smithing and political flim-flam artistry that makes people think that "fusing the intelligence into the planning process in the operation is something new and exotic. It is nothing of the sort.

As far as the technology you see in the Fusion Centers, everyone like the blinking lights, and satellite imagery. The love the huge flatscreen monitors. The more space-age it looks, the more impressed the visitors become. But don't be fooled by the technology.

My assertion is that they are functioning exactly as intended, they're an end-around, a way for the federal government to bypass the additional rules and directives which specifically govern the way an intelligence operative does his/her job. It's not new for someone who wants information to cast a very large net and then build a picture based upon many little bits of information which by themselves seem meaningless.
(COMMENT)

Whether the fusion centers are dealing in producing tactical (real-time//near-real-time) intelligence, actionable or strategic, domestic or international intelligence, they only deal in the Analysis, Production, Dissemination, and Integration piece of the process. They are not in control of resources and assets that they can direct to plan and initiate operations against hostile domestic targets. Most of them belong to the other 15 members of the IC.

Most Respectfully,
R

We appear to pretty much agree on the DHS.

...that makes people think that "fusing the intelligence into the planning process in the operation is something new and exotic. It is nothing of the sort.

As far as the technology you see in the Fusion Centers, everyone like the blinking lights, and satellite imagery. The love the huge flatscreen monitors. The more space-age it looks, the more impressed the visitors become. But don't be fooled by the technology.

I agree that the activity itself is nothing new, the way they're doing it right now is new. Just sitting here in my house by my computer I've got blinking lights, 3 flat screens, and one of those has satellite imagery on it. (Google Earth so granted it's not awesome satellite imagery). A JINTACCS would impress me far more than flat-screen monitor and that radio is 25 years old. Just because something looks shiny and high-tech doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Whether the fusion centers are dealing in producing tactical (real-time//near-real-time) intelligence, actionable or strategic, domestic or international intelligence, they only deal in the Analysis, Production, Dissemination, and Integration piece of the process. They are not in control of resources and assets that they can direct to plan and initiate operations against hostile domestic targets. Most of them belong to the other 15 members of the IC.

It looks like there was some sort of misunderstanding here. I never suggested that people working in a Fusion Center were going to "cowboy up" and go trample on someone's rights. I'm not even saying that there isn't legitimate sharing and coordination going on here. What I am saying is that the DHS employees acting as liaisons are not properly equipped to do parts of the job we've been told they are supposed to be doing. Media reports over the last few years could very well be wrong but if they're not then those liaisons do not appear to have received any training at all in determining priority, determining if a flash is needed, or routing, which makes them useless as far as communicating with the CIA, NSA, or any of the agencies under the umbrella of the DoD. To a lesser extent the FBI and State/local cops. That leaves law enforcement as their focus.

I know the idea behind this is old, but dropping 70 of these centers in America and then soliciting tips from the public, and then keeping information even when it indicates no crime being committed, is new.

Centrehalf, et al,

I see and agree.

I know the idea behind this is old, but dropping 70 of these centers in America and then soliciting tips from the public, and then keeping information even when it indicates no crime being committed, is new.
(COMMENT)

Reference:

The number sounds very high, I grant you. But it doen't mean that the mission is being performed. These centers sounded like a good idea at the time they were created, but they were not. But the idea was sound and is actually being done in the other centers.

Most Respectfully,
R

For anyone reading this, we seem to have gotten off on a tangent so I'm going to restate my concerns with the Department of Homeland Security "Fusion Centers":

1. The Department of Homeland Security is blatantly violating FISA.
2. The consistent and numerous instances of these violations leads me to believe that it was the intention of the Department of Homeland Security from the very beginning to violate FISA.
3. The demonstrated lack of even basic training of DHS employees regarding intelligence collection in these centers leads me to believe that DHS has lied to Americans about the mission of their "fusion centers".

I should have phrased it this way in my OP.

Osama is dead - but al Qaeda still lives, as does a thousand other radical extremist groups causing terror all over the world.

Werbung:
Back